Is anyone as nervous as I am?

ozzfest

I just don't see a playoff contender with this lineup at all this year. The only thing I am looking forward to this year is our starting rotation....I think our starting pitching is potentially the best in the bigs.

I know people are going to tell me that Kenny isn't close to being done or that I'm jumping the gun, but I really believe that what you see right now is what your going to have opening day. Let's simply go around the horn and talk about our starters.

C-AJP-----Love AJ but cant throw anyone out.

1B-PK-----Solid power numbers every year, but getting older and very overpaid.

2B-GB---Kenny over managed this situation and should have left him at third, he was playing great. Kalapse thinks he's not going to have a sophomore slump so....that's that.

SS-Alexei- I love his potential, but I think this guy is a bonehead. He is asleep at the wheel at short. Can't hit a curveball.

3B-Teahen-One word- Mediocrity.

OF-Rios-Who knows?

OF-Quentin- If he can stay healthy he can carry the offense as we witnessed two years ago....but that's a big if

OF-FA signing or trade-----feel free to throw around ideas for this one...no idea what were going to do.

Can anyone explain to me how this lineup can possibly win anything past our division?

If only Obama put the White Sox as part of the bailout .......

Edited by ozzfest

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I just don't see a playoff contender with this lineup at all this year. The only thing I am looking forward to this year is our starting rotation....I think our starting pitching is potentially the best in the bigs.

I know people are going to tell me that Kenny isn't close to being done or that I'm jumping the gun, but I really believe that what you see right now is what your going to have opening day. Let's simply go around the horn and talk about our starters.

C-AJP-----Love AJ but cant throw anyone out.

1B-PK-----Solid power numbers every year, but getting older and very overpaid.

2B-GB---Sophomore slump very likely. Also Kenny over managed this situation and should have left him at third, he was playing great.

SS-Alexei- I love his potential, but I think this guy is a bonehead. He is asleep at the wheel at short. Can't hit a curveball.

3B-Teahen-One word- Mediocrity.

OF-Rios-Who knows?

OF-Quentin- If he can stay healthy he can carry the offense as we witnessed two years ago....but that's a big if

OF-FA signing or trade-----feel free to throw around ideas for this one...no idea what were going to do.

Can anyone explain to me how this lineup can possibly win anything past our division?

If only Obama put the White Sox as part of the bailout .......

I think the better question is, what makes you think the bolded above is true?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
How is a sophmore slump for Beckham "likely". It's certainly possible but what reason is there to believe that it's likely to happen?

If you're going to state your concerns about the roster at least be thorough, this is some really lazy analysis.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...ophomore-slump/

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
How is a sophmore slump for Beckham "likely". It's certainly possible but what reason is there to believe that it's likely to happen?

If you're going to state your concerns about the roster at least be thorough, this is some really lazy analysis.

I don't think it's lazy, but it sure as hell is going to be unpopular. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Beckham won't have the proverbial sophomore slump, but outside of a strong rotation, this team as it currently stands should scare no one. Except perhaps Sox fans who look for a return to the playoffs. Edited by SI1020

If we need a source of optimism... consider that the DH/corner OF positions are easiest to fill with what we need. Power. Have two prospects that we can use in a deal to fill that. We can likely do something with Jenks if more $ is needed.

If you can replace Dye and Thome's power somehow (can probably bring back Thome super cheap), then look at all the additional HRs we've added.... Teahan over Getz, Rios over BA/Wise

Defense is improved over last opening day. The staff is great, and the pen (as most pens) will depend on someone having a bounceback year, etc.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't think it's lazy, but it sure as hell is going to be unpopular. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Beckham won't have the proverbial sophomore slump, but outside of a strong rotation, this team as it currently stands should scare no one. Except perhaps Sox fans who look for a return to the playoffs.

A few small negatives about a couple players and "who cares" next to Alex Rios's name isn't lazy? It's the definition of lazy. It's hard to disagree that this lineup is completely made up of question marks and if they don't add at least 1 big bat they're going to struggle to contend but you have to break it down significantly more than this if you don't want to come off as alarmist.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
If we need a source of optimism... consider that the DH/corner OF positions are easiest to fill with what we need. Power. Have two prospects that we can use in a deal to fill that. We can likely do something with Jenks if more $ is needed.

If you can replace Dye and Thome's power somehow (can probably bring back Thome super cheap), then look at all the other HRs we've added.... Teahan over Getz, Rios over BA/Wise

Defense is improved over last opening day. The staff is great, and the pen (as most pens) will depend on someone having a bounceback year, etc.

I agree. Not 100% well get a good COF and DH.....Wouldn't mind Thome coming back. But we need a OF like Jason Bay. This team needs an offensive stud, whom we don't have...

Edited by ozzfest

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)

Yeah, I've seen that. Regression to the mean for largely over hyped and soon to be injured rookie of the year winners (interesting sample size), that's not much of a case against Beckham and not exactly Gleeman's finest work.

There's a reason Beckham didn't win the award; he didn't play over his head, this is where most rookie of the year winners have trouble, it's hard to improve upon a season that no few thought you were capable of having in the first place.

If you think Gordon Beckham will regress to the mean or get hurt then just say that.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
In his defense it was 'who knows' -- and it's about right in that we dont know what we'll get. I would be totally fine with the 2008 numbers....Gladly will take those doubles.
Exactly. Ask the fans in Toronto about him. He was way below the Mendoza line for the Sox until picking it up a bit at the end of the year. If he hits .270-.280 and plays above average D I'll be overjoyed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
I think the better question is, what makes you think the bolded above is true?

The financial constraints of adding Peavy and Rios to the roster? Kenny and JR could always surprise us, but it seems reasonable to assume that the Sox aren't in a position to take on much more salary. Trading Paulie or Jenks could free up payroll for additional moves, but they'd also create holes at the same time.