2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Wes is getting a chance somewhere else. Obviously he was an overdraft, but the guy showed alittle something at times. He will benefit moving to the NL and to another org. even as alittle bit of a thought. (as he wasn't a thought here)

At least we didn't pull a Chicago Cubs. They certainly went cheap in the 1st round:

Southern Arkansas righthander Hayden Simpson, the 16th overall pick in the draft, has agreed to terms with the Cubs on a $1.06 million bonus. His signing is expected to become official this weekend.

Simpson, rated No. 191 on Baseball America's Top 200 Prospects list, was the biggest surprise selection in the first round. While the Cubs believed he was a legitimate first-round talent, they also took a discount on MLB's recommended bonus for the No. 16 slot, which was $1.512 million in 2009. Had Chicago waited until the second round to draft him, the slot for that pick (No. 65) was nearly $1 million less ($562,500) a year ago.

It's believed that the Cubs and Simpson worked out a deal shortly before the team made the pick official.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
At least we didn't pull a Chicago Cubs. They certainly went cheap in the 1st round:

Still seems like such a strange pick to me. A guy who was thought to be in rounds 5-10 at best, going 16th overall? Did they see something no one else did?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
Did they see something no one else did?

They believe they have a player with mid 90's velocity and four average or better pitches. I don't thin anyone else sees Simpson that way though. The same goes for the Yankee's with Culver. They seemingly like him more than everyone else too.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)

I found a link. He thinks he's joining Birmingham tomorrow, but the Barons have no roster space. They just added Dylan Axelrod from W-S and Matt Long was put on the DL. I think he's headed for W-S.

Link

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I found a link. He thinks he's joining Birmingham tomorrow, but the Barons have no roster space. They just added Dylan Axelrod from W-S and Matt Long was put on the DL. I think he's headed for W-S.

Link

Ricks is off the DL too, so that leaves only one roster spot open in Charlotte.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Brandon Allen has a .420 OBP with an .889 OPS for AAA Reno. Yea, the Sox could use him right now.

He tore up AAA last year and then sucked in the bigs.

I'll wait until he produces in the majors before I worry.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Brandon Allen has a .420 OBP with an .889 OPS for AAA Reno. Yea, the Sox could use him right now.

What would they do without Tony Pena? Duh!

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)

Link

I was wrong, he's here. McCulloch was sent back up to Charlotte. Charlotte's roster is full now.

Wow, just noticed Dexter Carter is now pitching on the Padres short season team in the NWL.

Seems like once he got traded, all of those control issues came back in a hurry.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
So you're saying he's not hitting with a ton of power?

.214 Iso. He's just walking a ton right now. AB/K of 3.8 (about 26%), PA/K of 4.9 (just above 20%). K:BB of 1 exactly.

He's still got work to do.