2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
Ha and you made me defend putting Shirek in my top 15.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Charlie Shirek was demoted back to B'ham and placed on the DL.

Heh.

Charlie is my AAP, I like him, but his continually dropping K numbers combined with the repeated DL trips make me nervous. He's interesting definitely, but I would like to know what is up with him this year - what is his injury?

I do think the org likes him, but something weird is up.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Yikes. At least it's not a shoulder problem. There's a good chance he bounces back fine, but this is why small market teams hesitate to spend on the draft. They can't afford to miss.

Way more risk in signing a 16yo dominican than a kid from the states though.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Way more risk in signing a 16yo dominican than a kid from the states though.

Well yeah, but they signed this guy knowing highest bidder wins. It's different than being the only team to negotiate with the player.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
Brian Anderson has made 3 good appearances for the Royals in rookie ball. He hasn't pitched since July 10, though.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=435042

After a brief stop in A-ball, BA was promoted to the AAA Omaha Royals to pitch with the likes of Tony Pena Jr.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...sp&sid=t420

Josh Phegley promoted to AA, Jason Bour sent back to High A. I guess the Sox think he is healthy. After two stints on the DL I thought there was no way he would be able to stay healthy in the long run. He has played well since his 2nd return. He's even thrown half of his runners this year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Josh Phegley promoted to AA, Jason Bour sent back to High A. I guess the Sox think he is healthy. After two stints on the DL I thought there was no way he would be able to stay healthy in the long run. He has played well since his 2nd return. He's even thrown half of his runners this year.

Great news for Josh.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Hey now JPN has another prospect to watch!

:wub: Awww, that's why my nose was itching, you were thinking of me. At least now I'll have something to write about for the next couple of weeks.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
If the Sox were willing to trade T-Flow and Jackson for Dunn they must think Phegley is close to being major league ready.

I'd say that's a stretch. The guy has spent most of the year on the DL with a potentially debilitating illness, and just now got back going. He's also just reaching AA now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
I'd say that's a stretch. The guy has spent most of the year on the DL with a potentially debilitating illness, and just now got back going. He's also just reaching AA now.

Yeah, I can't imagine, after what he's gone through this year, that he'd even sniff the majors before mid 2012, and even saying that, he hasn't put up dominant numbers in the minors yet either.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
Pitcher Jeff Sues signed and sent to Winston-Salem. Former Pirates farmhand and Vanderbilt pitcher. Was #7 prospect in their system as recently as 2009 according to Baseball America.

Looks like a fly ball pitcher who also walks a lot of guys, and he's 27.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Pitcher Jeff Sues signed and sent to Winston-Salem. Former Pirates farmhand and Vanderbilt pitcher. Was #7 prospect in their system as recently as 2009 according to Baseball America.

I remember him. Isn't he like the pitching version of Elijah Dukes (cept not as worse off the field)?

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
From what I remember about him, more than likely breaking every clubhouse rule in the book.

Strange considering that Vanderbilt is such a conservative school.