Castro is back.

justBLAZE

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the right move. Knowing AJ's history, Flowers would only have gotten a handful of AB's. Plus it saves us a year pre-arbitration on him, lets him develop a little more in the hitter's park of Charlotte, and maybe lets him build up trade value if we do decide we really like one of the other catchers we have at a lower level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
This was the right move. Knowing AJ's history, Flowers would only have gotten a handful of AB's. Plus it saves us a year pre-arbitration on him, lets him develop a little more in the hitter's park of Charlotte, and maybe lets him build up trade value if we do decide we really like one of the other catchers we have at a lower level.

I don't know about that.

The issue with the team as currently constructed is our DH is a rather weak platoon situation. I would have rather given Flowers a few starts a week at the catcher position and a few starts a week at the DH position, because I think he could probably help the team more than giving the PAs to some of the other guys on this roster.

Instead, this means Flowers will be in Charlotte or traded, and more PAs will be taken by the likes of Nix, Kotsay, and Castro than I will enjoy.

OR, KW could make the obvious move and go out and sign Thome now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
I definitely think Armstrong and Marquez are the two top candidates for a DFA.

I haven't gotten enough in the way of specific medical reports since last May, but Marquez was dealing with bone spurs when he was pitching last year. If it were me, I'd want to see if he could recover from that before cutting him loose. But then again, if it came down to Marquez vs. signing a DH, the choice is obvious.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
OR, KW could make the obvious move and go out and sign Thome now.

Really, he has to now. I could understand keeping the DH slot open if you wanted FLowers to get 200 AB's there. You can't platoon Jones and Kotsay at your DH spot, you just can't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
I haven't gotten enough in the way of specific medical reports since last May, but Marquez was dealing with bone spurs when he was pitching last year. If it were me, I'd want to see if he could recover from that before cutting him loose. But then again, if it came down to Marquez vs. signing a DH, the choice is obvious.

I think the chances of Marquez getting picked up on waivers is pretty low, so maybe they can get him by and outright him to Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Really, he has to now. I could understand keeping the DH slot open if you wanted FLowers to get 200 AB's there. You can't platoon Jones and Kotsay at your DH spot, you just can't.

I really think it means Thome is signed any day or a deal is made sending Flowers away.

Why else would this move have taken so long?

Makes sense. Allows Flowers more time to work on catching (more important even than getting at bats for him, IMO). Also allows KW to trade Flowers if necessary (but that won't happen unless its a blockbuster). $1M is cheap.

I'd guess Armstrong is DFA'd, not Marquez, because KW liked Marquez so much. I'd bet they want to give him a chance to show his stuff in AAA when healthy, before giving up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Why else would this move have taken so long?

Because there are multiple backup catchers' on the market, and Castro was reportedly talking with other teams (there was a rumor a couple weeks ago he was close to signing with the Blue Jays but that seemingly fell through).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
I'd guess Armstrong is DFA'd, not Marquez, because KW liked Marquez so much. I'd bet they want to give him a chance to show his stuff in AAA when healthy, before giving up.

Only problem is...if you want to sign a DH as well, you need an extra 40 man slot for him as well.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
I don't think the organization is inclined to put the future of the catching position in Josh Phegley's hands just yet. I don't buy the impending trade thought, and would have preferred Flowers on the bench in sort of a Backup QB-type deal.

To me, it doesn't look like AJ's days are done by any means. Who's to say AJ isn't resigned? If the Sox go that route, Flowers can most definitely me traded if the right deal comes along.

Ozzie Guillen does not use two catchers in the same game period. He does not even replace one for the other unless it is the bottom of the 9th and the game is on the line...and then that is a rarity

If Flowers was on this team he would play once a week and end up with 100 or so at-bats. Look at Brian Anderson to see how this helps progress a career. There is nothing Flowers can not learn playing everyday in AAA that he would at the MLB level.

Flowers was not going to DH unless CJ was a platoon guy that could catch in a pinch.