Castro is back.

justBLAZE

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, this answers the Flowers question. Get some more practice in buddy.

Although I don't want us to sign a DH before ST, I'm all for that idea instead of a blockbuster deal. We have some good trading chips at the high levels and I'd hate to use them prematurely. Let's see where the weakneses are on this team during April/May and then possibly use the prospects to ensure a title push.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I love Thome. He's a great person and was one hell of a baseball player. I'm just tired of seeing him out there and I don't think he's the same player he once was.

IMO, we don't need him to be the same player he was, we just need him to be an adequate platoon-type DH who hits 20 home runs in 300 ab's and takes a lot of walks over 300-400 AB's.

Edit: and I'd take that from anyone who we brought in as a DH.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
I think we can win with Jones as our DH. I just don''t think we should have to chance it. There's no reason to have to gamble on lightning in a bottle for a position that we absolutely need results from. A gamble makes sense if we're talking CF, but we need power, and we need results.

Ugh, I don't even like to see that in writing. It's like we're already preparing ourselves for the inevitable outcome that he'll be starting for us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
If that is the case, he is a solid claim, because he can be stashed away at Charlotte for at least two more years.

Yes, that makes sense, and that's the likely scenario.

Charlotte OF of Danks-De Aza-Gartrell (Kroeger DH and backup OF), for those who'd care.

We're pretty sure of a 7 man pen, right? Jenks-Thornton-Putz-Linebrink-Pena-LOOGY/Williams-Nunez/???.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Yes, that makes sense, and that's the likely scenario.

Charlotte OF of Danks-De Aza-Gartrell (Kroeger DH and backup OF), for those who'd care.

We're pretty sure of a 7 man pen, right? Jenks-Thornton-Putz-Linebrink-Pena-LOOGY/Williams-Nunez/???.

Don't forget Freddy Dolsi.

I'd say I'm pretty sure Ozzie sticks with a 7 man pen. If he was going with a 7 man pen in most of 2005, he'll keep that up.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
Ugh, I don't even like to see that in writing. It's like we're already preparing ourselves for the inevitable outcome that he'll be starting for us.

Honestly Milkman i'm doing exactly that. I don't want it to happen, but i can't help but think that it just might.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Don't forget Freddy Dolsi.

I'd say I'm pretty sure Ozzie sticks with a 7 man pen. If he was going with a 7 man pen in most of 2005, he'll keep that up.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
What about Hudson?

Last two slots open, I figure fall to two of: Nunez, Dolsi, Hudson, Williams, Santeliz.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Makes sense. Allows Flowers more time to work on catching (more important even than getting at bats for him, IMO). Also allows KW to trade Flowers if necessary (but that won't happen unless its a blockbuster). $1M is cheap.

I'd guess Armstrong is DFA'd, not Marquez, because KW liked Marquez so much. I'd bet they want to give him a chance to show his stuff in AAA when healthy, before giving up.

I know most people feel this way but I tend to disagree. Putting him in AAA for the entire season may allow him to catch every day and improve his fundamentals. But then the only time he will learn the MLB pitchers (Peavy, MB, Danks, Floyd, etc.) is in spring training next year (outside of a Sept call-up). If he spends the whole season with the big club, he can catch the bullpen sessions, etc. for the major league pitchers and be prepared to catch them full-time next season. He can learn how AJ handles himself, understand what Guillen is looking for, sit next to Coop every game (he would be the DH on most occasions) and watch/listen as the team is in the field. If his hitting is MLB ready already, then giving him a spot start at Catcher and DHing him a lot would keep him fresh in that aspect.

If this signals that he will be traded, which I hope not unless, its for AGonz or some major masher, then Miguel Gonzalez could be the future.

I like this move. Having Flowers start down in triple-a is a great idea, we know he can hit but its really important for him to work on calling games and throwing baserunners out. With that DH slot still open, a trade still is a possibility, but i wouldn't count on it. . .

Alfredo Amezaga would make a lot of sense as the last signing. He would essentially replace Nix/Lillibridge as the 2nd backup IF and also give the Sox a backup CF so Pierre never has to trot out there.

I wish we had a real DH though, but in order to fit one in we'd have to either go with 6 relievers or dump an extra OF (Jones) since we need a backup C and 2 backup MIF.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
f*** YES.

.184 .262 .382 in 76 ABS!!

Let's see how awful we can make this offense KW!!! WOOOOO!!!!

People will say, "it's only $1M," but if you start adding some of this s*** up (i.e. $600K more for Castro than Armstrong/various other AAA/AAAA options on MiLB contracts), it's scary to think how much better we could be had our GM actually entered this offseason with a plan.

I was gonna say 1 mil was more than I thought was needed for Ramon Castro, who Flowers himself can put up the same numbers at league minimum, but I was going to hold that to myself. We better have a DH soon, cause I was liking the idea of Flowers hitting/rotating at DH and backup.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
People will say, "it's only $1M," but if you start adding some of this s*** up (i.e. $600K more for Castro than Armstrong/various other AAA/AAAA options on MiLB contracts), it's scary to think how much better we could be had our GM actually entered this offseason with a plan.

So instead we would have entered the season with one decent player, and five minor leaguers. Sounds like the end of 2007 to me.