Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 11:14 PM)
He's my Evil Apple twin, or would that me make HIS Evil Apple twin? Either way, you get the idea.

...and I'd have to destroy you, but first you must suffer through impossibly long winded posts I make in defense of anything you disparage.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Holy crap Y2HH. Either you're a paid PR person for Apple or you have some sophisticated search program that finds any miniscule criticism of Apple which triggers you to respond in lengthy detail each time.

Yes, my "sophisticated" search algorithm is called reading this thread, which is mostly attempt after attempt to bash anything Apple, with little to no objectivity.

I've stated it multiple times...and I'll state it again...unfairly bash Microsoft or Google, or practically any other tech company, and I'll be just as quick to defend them against uninformed posts, too. Technology is actually a passion of mine, thus my long winded posts. :P

You're just mad that I was right when I said Google would release their own maps application on iOS, and end up having to give Apple everything it requested for it's map application, only free, including turn by turn, etc. You asked me in this very thread...are you sure about that? I was sure. And the icing on the cake is Google admitted it's iOS maps app is even better than their own Android app.

Take that, jolly green giant.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
Yes, my "sophisticated" search algorithm is called reading this thread, which is mostly attempt after attempt to bash anything Apple, with little to no objectivity.

I've stated it multiple times...and I'll state it again...unfairly bash Microsoft or Google, or practically any other tech company, and I'll be just as quick to defend them against uninformed posts, too. Technology is actually a passion of mine, thus my long winded posts. :P

You're just mad that I was right when I said Google would release their own maps application on iOS, and end up having to give Apple everything it requested for it's map application, only free, including turn by turn, etc. You asked me in this very thread...are you sure about that? I was sure. And the icing on the cake is Google admitted it's iOS maps app is even better than their own Android app.

Once again you get so defensive in your replies. I didn't even criticize anything about Apple in my previous post yet you always need to go off on these pro Apple, anti everything else rants in response. You are the the ultimate fanboy trying to convince us otherwise and you've proven it over and over again.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)

It might be better in terms of the UI since they had to remake the whole app. They've been just adding on to the Android version since 2009. The first thing I noticed about Apple Maps was how much better the UI looked compared to Google Maps. But looks aren't everything.

The Android version has some features that the iOS version lacks, like the ability to save maps for offline use, which I think is a very big plus.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Once again you get so defensive in your replies. I didn't even criticize anything about Apple in my previous post yet you always need to go off on these pro Apple, anti everything else rants in response. You are the the ultimate fanboy trying to convince us otherwise and you've proven it over and over again.

I get defensive in my replies because ignorant people such as yourself basically force me too, with s***ty dismissals of anything I write here as merely a "fanboy" to be ignored.

You obviously have no clue what a fanboy is, then.

But since you called me out, again...I'll shoot your disparaging, ignorant bulls*** down in flames. Again.

Chrome > *. And when it comes to Safari...well, Safari sucks. Period.

Gmail > *. It's better than Microsofts alternative Hotmail, it's better than Yahoo mail, it's better than whatever s***ty .me/.icloud service Apple has. It's not even close.

Google Search > *. Bing may be a close second, but it's too cluttered and messy for my liking. Thus my default search engine, on every computer/device I use is set to Google.

Those are a few applications/functions of Google I use on a *daily* basis, in a personal AND professional manner. As a user/administrator of Google Apps, I actually house my own domain names on their servers as to use link my domains to their Gmail system. Instead of @gmail.com, I have @.com, courtesy of Google.

A fanboy does not use a "competitors" services, because they view anything non Apple (or Microsoft, or Google, or whatever their fanboyism is connected with), as exactly that...a competitor, as if they have skin in the game. I don't do anything like that, but people such as yourself continuously, and ignorantly, claim I do. Which shows, like I said, you have no f***ing clue what a fanboy is...which is a tech insult for those that actually understand it's true meaning.

As a person that 1) actually knows what he's talking about, and 2) actually uses a wide range of technologies and services personally and professionally, I find your comments toward me quite hurtful...and I really don't know why you do it. Your continued dismissal of me on this thread is ignorant.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
It might be better in terms of the UI since they had to remake the whole app. They've been just adding on to the Android version since 2009. The first thing I noticed about Apple Maps was how much better the UI looked compared to Google Maps. But looks aren't everything.

The Android version has some features that the iOS version lacks, like the ability to save maps for offline use, which I think is a very big plus.

The offline use is a huge plus, but I'm sure features such as that will be included as time goes on. Obviously, as a first release Google's goal was to get it's new maps app out in the wild, without releasing an "inferior" product...so basically, it needed to work very well with a basic feature set and then they could add more later.

They've obviously succeeded in this.

I believe the Android version also has a means to connect to it's contact list for addressing information, and/or allow you to save and rename way points...for example, on their current iOS app, it wouldn't allow me to save "X's house", as a destination name...but it shows the address.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Rooted and installed Nova launcher on the Kindle Fire I got. It just got so much better...

Interesting, may have to look into that. I wasn't going to mess with my FireHD but it does bog down occasionally and the interface, while easy, can get annoying to maneuver through.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Rooted and installed Nova launcher on the Kindle Fire I got. It just got so much better...

I'm interested to know if that altered the devices stability at all? Have you seen any noticeable or functional issues with doing this? Any incompatibilities?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
I'm interested to know if that altered the devices stability at all? Have you seen any noticeable or functional issues with doing this? Any incompatibilities?

Not at all. It's still running Amazon's firmware. I just rooted it so I can install the Play Store on it. I hated the Amazon launcher so I went with Nova and it's working fine.

Now it's more like an actual Android tablet.

The tricky thing is that the Fire lacks some basic things Android tablets come with (like a clock), so some widgets that need the clock app might not work. You can always sideload the Android clock app as a system app though, which I will be doing soon.

Edited by chw42

* Google terminates ActiveSync support

* Google Apps no longer free for business use

* Google Apps no longer free for new signups

Those who already have free accounts, or paid business accounts will not be affected by this -- YET. I do not know if and when that will happen, but I assume its inevitable. I see no way Microsoft will extend it's ActiveSync contract with Google after this, when it expires...

The search giant announced that it will stop supporting Google Sync, which enabled access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via Exchange ActiveSync protocol. After January 30, 2013, new devices will no longer be able to set up the functionality which will however continue to function for existing users and users of Google Apps for Business, Government and Education.

It will also be shutting down some Google Calendar features, which were termed to be ‘less popular’. Among these are features like Appointment Slots and some Calendar Labs functions like Smart Scheduler. Finally, it will be shutting down the Issue Tracker Data API and the Punchd app that was available for Android and iOS devices.

More information here: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?...;answer=2716936

-----

Thankfully I already have a free non-business account, so my email will continue to function as normal (I did not use ActiveSync anyway, so this news doesn't affect me). But for users or businesses that were using it, this is huge news, especially to those that had a BYOD (bring your own device) setup, ActiveSync allowed all of them to be implemented very similarly.

My thoughts: An absolutely brilliant tactical maneuver by Google, but it highlights one of my recent arguments as to why Apple (and other companies) would be wise in accepting a short-term hit in order to remove reliance on anything Google related on their platforms. Google is smart...and Google is in business for Google, not for Facebook, ans surely not for Microsoft or Apple.

* A lot of businesses started to incorporate Google Apps/Email specifically because it supported ActiveSync...this is a massive blow to these companies, because now they're going to be left wondering when all support for this protocol that Google doesn't own will end, via a decision from Google or even Microsoft. Google essentially lured them to become reliant on their services, and now they remove a very important protocol, especially when it comes to calendars/contacts.

* Google uses CalDAV and IMAP, which covers everything I need, specifically, but this is going to hurt many people that thought it would be wise to use Google for email services.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Apparently Instagram's new TOS allows them to sell any of your photos.

Wired recommends downloading your photos and deleting your account.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/how...l-your-account/

Thankfully a service I never used.

But this sort of policy change sounds borderline illegal, and if it isn't, it needs to be. This is one of the drawbacks to these free service offerings and why I tend to avoid them when possible.