Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
Not rooted, not doing anything particularly out of the ordinary.

That is roughly how much I have stored on Google Drive, are those files being stored on the phone for some reason?

No, unless you save them.

Do you have any large games (GTA, any Gameloft or EA games, etc.) on your phone?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Your contracted, out-of-office IT person should have sufficient security in place to prevent an email attachment from encrypting your entire network.

This is what happens when you "outsource" to save a few bucks.

What you said is exactly correct.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
No, unless you save them.

Do you have any large games (GTA, any Gameloft or EA games, etc.) on your phone?

No, not really. All pretty uninvolved, non-graphics heavy games.

Someone has suggested that it could be texts - do you think that's it?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
No, not really. All pretty uninvolved, non-graphics heavy games.

Someone has suggested that it could be texts - do you think that's it?

lol, how many texts do you get? Say each text is 20 characters, you'd need about 430 million text messages to fill up 8 GB.

Looking for home security? I fully endorse Front Point. Self install, totally wireless and great service. Tonight they alerted me to my water heater bursting while I was comfortably upstairs. They then called a few other times for status and recommended help. Fantastic company

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
lol, how many texts do you get? Say each text is 20 characters, you'd need about 430 million text messages to fill up 8 GB.

Videos and pictures sent in SMS (mms) is what fills up most peoples phones. They don't realize it, but every picture or video you receive and send/forward is another copy of that same data on your phone.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
This is what happens when you "outsource" to save a few bucks.

What you said is exactly correct.

It all depends on the size of the business. The difference between hiring a full time IT staff internally and outsourcing is big difference. In addition, a lot of small businesses just don't budget properly and invest just enough to keep the business running.

As far as Cryptolocker, the bad part about paying the ransom is that you can just as quickly get infected again (if they don't harden their network). AV vendors have yet to crack the encryption.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
Videos and pictures sent in SMS (mms) is what fills up most peoples phones. They don't realize it, but every picture or video you receive and send/forward is another copy of that same data on your phone.

It'll still be really hard to get 8 GBs of messages, as MMS usually has a 600 KB limit.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 13, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
They must have had the phone for a long time then. Either that or they were doing a ton of sexting lol.

Mostly family photo MMSing, each copy of it is another 800kb unless you sent them all in one mass text, otherwise it creates a new copy under that persons message string, over and over. But yes, you are talking a years worth of messages. And if you use a program like iMessage, where no such size restriction exists, it's even worse.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 13, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
It all depends on the size of the business. The difference between hiring a full time IT staff internally and outsourcing is big difference. In addition, a lot of small businesses just don't budget properly and invest just enough to keep the business running.

As far as Cryptolocker, the bad part about paying the ransom is that you can just as quickly get infected again (if they don't harden their network). AV vendors have yet to crack the encryption.

Yeah, we're a 5 attorney, 10 person total office, so it makes no sense to have a full time IT person. We actually spend more on IT crap than I think it's worth. Sadly, for whatever reason, our email scanner didn't catch this and then my secretary opened up an email she shouldn't have.

Paying the ransom did seem to work btw. Now i'm looking into signing up for a better email filter service. Anyone have any recommendations?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
Yeah, we're a 5 attorney, 10 person total office, so it makes no sense to have a full time IT person. We actually spend more on IT crap than I think it's worth. Sadly, for whatever reason, our email scanner didn't catch this and then my secretary opened up an email she shouldn't have.

Paying the ransom did seem to work btw. Now i'm looking into signing up for a better email filter service. Anyone have any recommendations?

Do you outsource email?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
Have an exchange server through godaddy.com I think.

For an office that small isnt exchange a bit expensive?

For most outsourced email you can stop attachments at the source and even keep those that dont need to download files off your local server. I've seen it in google where admins or people who dont know any better can only open in google docs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
For an office that small isnt exchange a bit expensive?

For most outsourced email you can stop attachments at the source and even keep those that dont need to download files off your local server. I've seen it in google where admins or people who dont know any better can only open in google docs.

I think we went with exchange just because it was the easiest option to get all of our docs remotely either via phone or at a home computer. We've had it for years though and I never was part of that decision.

On a different "note," anyone have a Samsung Note phone? I noticed the 3 came out recently and I'm in the market for a new phone. Wondering if the size would be cool or a pain.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
I think we went with exchange just because it was the easiest option to get all of our docs remotely either via phone or at a home computer. We've had it for years though and I never was part of that decision.

On a different "note," anyone have a Samsung Note phone? I noticed the 3 came out recently and I'm in the market for a new phone. Wondering if the size would be cool or a pain.

Size depends on what you need it for, and personal preference, no? I find that most people claim they do more with their phones than they really do...IE, they send a few emails, text, and MAYBE make a phone call 99.9% of the time, and the other 0.01% of the time, they do something more complicated, or try out a feature only to never use it again.

The New Nexus (Nexus 5) will retail for $349 for the 16 GB model and probably $400 for the 32 GB model.

nexys-5-huge.png

Needless to say, I will be ordering it when it comes out. Unlike the Nexus 4, this phone pretty much has everything you need (like LTE).

Edited by chw42