Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
Raise your hand if you remember waiting for files to download on Napster, Limewire, Bearshare, gnutella, kazaa etc.

Raise your hand again if you would have a file download up to 99 percent and then stop and never start back up.

I still remember opening up Napster one day at SIU and getting a message saying I was banned or something by Metallica.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
While true, it's still opinion.

I prefer OSX over Windows, and I prefer iOS over Android, but that doesn't mean you have to agree ... nor does that doesn't even matter to me. All that matters is what YOU like using. And whatever it is, use it.

There was a time I wouldn't have EVER said that, about preferring Apple to anything.

I've been doing this since the early 80's, and through that time, Commodore gave way to Microsoft (I even tried OS/2 and various forms of Linux through the years), which eventually gave way to Apple OSX... and I know from the fact I've already switched 3+ times in my life, that I won't have a problem doing it again when I truly believe someone is doing something I NEED to be a part of.

Also, as it stands now, iOS gets the best of both worlds. I get all of Google's apps, and use quite a few of them, and they're often/usually better than their native Android variants. So using Android has little appeal to me, since I already get all of their best apps on iOS, and I get the best of what iOS has to offer, too. Giving that up for an additional half/full inch of screen space just isn't in the cards for me.

:unsure:

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)

Tis true.

For example:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12/13/go...iphone-android/

"Google admits that it’s even better than Google Maps for Android phones…"

They eventually caught Android's app up to iOS's from what I've heard...but the same rings true for many of their other apps...iOS is easier to program for, Objective-C vs Java, thus, it has better apps.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
Tis true.

For example:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12/13/go...iphone-android/

"Google admits that it’s even better than Google Maps for Android phones…"

They eventually caught Android's app up to iOS's from what I've heard...but the same rings true for many of their other apps...iOS is easier to program for, Objective-C vs Java, thus, it has better apps.

I don't know if the reason iOS is easier to program for than Android is because of the languages used.

From a programming standpoint, objective C doesn't actually do garbage collection for you, whereas you get that in Java. So in that respect, Java is easier on the programmer. From an efficiency standpoint, that's a very good thing for objective C since there's no overhead for a garbage collector and you, the programmer, get to manage the memory in a possibly more efficient manner. It's almost like comparing C/C++ to Java. You're most likely not going to teach a person who just started programming C/C++ and have them worry about pointers and memory references (although that was the way I was taught), you're probably going to have them learn Java and just focus on basic programming constructs without getting runtime errors telling them they have a segmentation fault.

Java is not meant to be a light weight and efficient language, it's meant to be a portable language used to create portable apps that can run on almost any computer. That was Google's goal for Android, which is why Android is the way it is today. It's less efficient than other operating systems because it runs everything in a Java Virtual Machine (Dalvik in this case), while almost every other OS in the world runs code natively.

Back on the ease to program for issue...the Android SDK is...well...somewhat poorly done. It's not easy to layout a UI if you don't have the Android UI XML reference sheet in front of you and even when you do have that in front of you, the SDK in Eclipse (or Android Studio) doesn't render everything. You have to actually get on a device and see if the UI looks okay. Then there's the issue with developing for 5 different screen DPIs, etc. It's a harder process, whereas on iOS, you have like 4 resolutions to develop for and the SDK, from what I hear, is much easier on the programmer.

But then again, Apple charges you $100 to test out your apps and Google lets you do it for free. Pick your poison I guess.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)

Yeah I don't know if they're better, but they're more or less on par. Google Maps for iOS was far better than the Android version for a while (mostly because Google decided to give priority to iOS in that case), but now they're pretty much the same.

iOS also got Google Now, although not in the same way Android has it, and they're getting Google Play Music soon.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 12:06 AM)
Yeah I don't know if they're better, but they're more or less on par. Google Maps for iOS was far better than the Android version for a while (mostly because Google decided to give priority to iOS in that case), but now they're pretty much the same.

iOS also got Google Now, although not in the same way Android has it, and they're getting Google Play Music soon.

I use Google Now, and the next version coming hooks into iOS7's notification center, background processes, etc. I've been experimenting with it and I'm trying to decide if it's actually useful or not...shows me stuff I want to see, but it's stuff I already see elsewhere.

Any good uses you know for it?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
I don't know if the reason iOS is easier to program for than Android is because of the languages used.

From a programming standpoint, objective C doesn't actually do garbage collection for you, whereas you get that in Java. So in that respect, Java is easier on the programmer. From an efficiency standpoint, that's a very good thing for objective C since there's no overhead for a garbage collector and you, the programmer, get to manage the memory in a possibly more efficient manner. It's almost like comparing C/C++ to Java. You're most likely not going to teach a person who just started programming C/C++ and have them worry about pointers and memory references (although that was the way I was taught), you're probably going to have them learn Java and just focus on basic programming constructs without getting runtime errors telling them they have a segmentation fault.

Java is not meant to be a light weight and efficient language, it's meant to be a portable language used to create portable apps that can run on almost any computer. That was Google's goal for Android, which is why Android is the way it is today. It's less efficient than other operating systems because it runs everything in a Java Virtual Machine (Dalvik in this case), while almost every other OS in the world runs code natively.

Back on the ease to program for issue...the Android SDK is...well...somewhat poorly done. It's not easy to layout a UI if you don't have the Android UI XML reference sheet in front of you and even when you do have that in front of you, the SDK in Eclipse (or Android Studio) doesn't render everything. You have to actually get on a device and see if the UI looks okay. Then there's the issue with developing for 5 different screen DPIs, etc. It's a harder process, whereas on iOS, you have like 4 resolutions to develop for and the SDK, from what I hear, is much easier on the programmer.

But then again, Apple charges you $100 to test out your apps and Google lets you do it for free. Pick your poison I guess.

Well, it's not purely because of the languages used, but the languages used have a lot to do with it, as you said, Android is forced to virtualize everything it runs, whereas iOS runs it natively, this in and of itself if a huge boost of efficiency, speed and ability to do things Java just wasn't meant to do.

Then, add in the SDK, of which Apple's is FAR superior according to most any developer, including game developers. The simpler, less fragmented landscape, containing less devices also helps this. While Apple charges, it's a yearly 100$ fee, so it's not all that expensive ringing in at less than 9$ a month. Programmers for iOS will program for iOS7 exclusively now, where Android developers often have to crack open 2.x API's for backwards compatibility since a ton of potential users are still using 2.x phones (I think it's almost half still?)

Apple will hold its much-rumored iPad event on October 22, reports AllThingsD. While the event will focus on Apple's upcoming fifth-generation iPad and iPad mini, the new Mac Pro and OS X Mavericks will also be featured at the event.

Apple's fifth-generation iPad will take on an iPad mini-style design, resulting in a thinner, lighter tablet with smaller side bezels. It's expected to feature a 64-bit A7 processor and an improved camera.

Apple's iPad mini is expected to include the same 64-bit A7 chip along with a Retina display and an 8-megapixel camera. According to recent rumors, the iPad mini could be in short supply and may not see widespread availability until 2014.

Link

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
Raise your hand if you remember waiting for files to download on Napster, Limewire, Bearshare, gnutella, kazaa etc.

Raise your hand again if you would have a file download up to 99 percent and then stop and never start back up.

I plead the 5th

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
Well, it's not purely because of the languages used, but the languages used have a lot to do with it, as you said, Android is forced to virtualize everything it runs, whereas iOS runs it natively, this in and of itself if a huge boost of efficiency, speed and ability to do things Java just wasn't meant to do.

Then, add in the SDK, of which Apple's is FAR superior according to most any developer, including game developers. The simpler, less fragmented landscape, containing less devices also helps this. While Apple charges, it's a yearly 100$ fee, so it's not all that expensive ringing in at less than 9$ a month. Programmers for iOS will program for iOS7 exclusively now, where Android developers often have to crack open 2.x API's for backwards compatibility since a ton of potential users are still using 2.x phones (I think it's almost half still?)

No, it's 70-30 now. 70% are on 4.0+ and about 30% are on Gingerbread. If I'm an Android app developer, I wouldn't even worry about the 30% unless I'm Facebook, Twitter, or whatever large company trying to reach the entire Android user base. I've done a few Android UIs now and I've been targeting 4.0+ on all of them. It's a big headache to do backwards compatibility for 2.3 since the UI elements are very different for 2.3 and 4.0+.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
I use Google Now, and the next version coming hooks into iOS7's notification center, background processes, etc. I've been experimenting with it and I'm trying to decide if it's actually useful or not...shows me stuff I want to see, but it's stuff I already see elsewhere.

I have a widget for it on my lockscreen, but I can also swipe up from the bottom of the screen. It gives me my sports scores, weather, stocks, and traffic info when I take a quick peak as I start to head home. Also, if you search any location on Google (say you were looking up where to go to lunch on your work computer) it will show up on Google Now (you might also get a notification) and you have the option of navigating there with one click.

It's definitely useful and convenient.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
Minor yet major correction here, as nobody has ever been successfully sued for just downloading anything. Where they get you is for uploading/sharing, which is usually what makes Torrents so dangerous, as most force you to share, even a small part of the download. Any piece you've uploaded makes you accountable for the whole. Simply downloading something that's out there on the Internet would be a VERY hard case to press on anyone in a court of law...which is why nobody bothers.

All the big cases are brought up against uploading.

But, the rest of what you said is true.

As for Apple purchases, again, easy to mass convert and strip DRM out of them. Very easy. Can be done with music and movies...you may have to pay a small price for the programs that do it, but it's a one time expense to rid yourself of Apple/iTunes if you so desire.

This is where I disagree. I'm pretty tech/computer savvy, and while I can do this, it's still a pain in the ass. It's not an easy process like it should be. And Apple knows that 95% of people who try will think "meh, not worth the effort." When I moved from the Iphone 3gs to an Android, I vowed to never purchase another Apple product because I did not want to get stuck in that world again. That and I like Android about 1000 times more. The app store is the only real benefit to owning an Iphone IMO.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
My brothers and I used Napster briefly, and then KaZaa, and we'd each take turns downloading like 10-15 songs at a time, which took like 35-40 minutes a song. Movies had download overnight.

My freshman year in 2000 my school had just installed a bunch of T1 lines. They were ungodly fast because no one was using it. I could download a song in 15-20 seconds. A movie in a matter of minutes. It was amazing. One of the frat guys got in trouble with Universal or some other big hollywood study because he was one of the biggest sources for uploading movies in the country. Then they really cranked up the bandwidth controls. It was a sad day.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
No, it's 70-30 now. 70% are on 4.0+ and about 30% are on Gingerbread. If I'm an Android app developer, I wouldn't even worry about the 30% unless I'm Facebook, Twitter, or whatever large company trying to reach the entire Android user base. I've done a few Android UIs now and I've been targeting 4.0+ on all of them. It's a big headache to do backwards compatibility for 2.3 since the UI elements are very different for 2.3 and 4.0+.

Yes, but let's be honest about what Google did with Android 4.x. 4.2 is, in reality, 5.0, and 4.3 is potentially 6.0 with the API changes, but to avoid the appearance of further fragmentation, they simply started making point releases major releases.

IOS 7.X uses the same the same API's across the board, the same goes for 6.X, etc. Google is introducing new, and often very big API changes with every point release, thus "cheating" the fragmentation system.

IE, just because you are on 4.1 doesn't mean you can use most of the API's available to 4.3.

So, while it's 70/30, that's still inaccurate as to which phones are on which API level.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
Yes, but let's be honest about what Google did with Android 4.x. 4.2 is, in reality, 5.0, and 4.3 is potentially 6.0 with the API changes, but to avoid the appearance of further fragmentation, they simply started making point releases major releases.

IOS 7.X uses the same the same API's across the board, the same goes for 6.X, etc. Google is introducing new, and often very big API changes with every point release, thus "cheating" the fragmentation system.

IE, just because you are on 4.1 doesn't mean you can use most of the API's available to 4.3.

So, while it's 70/30, that's still inaccurate as to which phones are on which API level.

There is more or less no difference in developing for 4.0 and 4.3. 4.3 broke some things with video playback, but that was it. When you're talking on a UI standpoint, there is no difference between developing for 4.0 and 4.3. I always make the minimum SDK target 4.0.3.

4.4 might see some changes, but they won't be as drastic as 2.3 to 4.0.

Limewire destroyed my crappy computer in 05. I was actually away from soxtalk for most of august and a little bit of september because I was saving up for a new one, lol. I could access a little bit at work, but when i was at home I couldnt use it. It sucked, bad

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 05:44 AM)

Like cw42 said, it's great when you're going somewhere (i.e., restaurant, someone's house, etc.) where you can google the place on your desktop and when you get in your car, your phone will will have a google now notification showing you how long it will take to get there in current traffic and an option to get turn-by-turn directions.

I also like that it will give me tracking updates for packages without me doing anything. It'll just scan my gmail and know that I have a package coming. Same thing with flights. My wife forwarded an email confirmation for her mom's visit to Seattle. On the day of the flight, I was getting flight status info automatically.

It's especially useful when you travel. It will show notifications for nearby restaurants, attractions, etc. with directions on how to get there, ratings, etc.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
Like cw42 said, it's great when you're going somewhere (i.e., restaurant, someone's house, etc.) where you can google the place on your desktop and when you get in your car, your phone will will have a google now notification showing you how long it will take to get there in current traffic and an option to get turn-by-turn directions.

I also like that it will give me tracking updates for packages without me doing anything. It'll just scan my gmail and know that I have a package coming. Same thing with flights. My wife forwarded an email confirmation for her mom's visit to Seattle. On the day of the flight, I was getting flight status info automatically.

It's especially useful when you travel. It will show notifications for nearby restaurants, attractions, etc. with directions on how to get there, ratings, etc.

I forgot to mention that, but I use that a lot too since I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
downloaded jelly bean 4.3.

What the hell is this N symbol ? Anyone? Next to my phone noise settings?

It's the ugly NFC logo. It doesn't show up on stock Android, but the OEMs decided it was a great idea to cram more crap into the status bars.