Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

I switched from AT&T to Verizon, I have better coverage, especially when attending sporting events/concerts than I did with AT&T but it's not always perfect. My main gripe is losing the unlimited plan I had been grandfathered in with via AT&T, otherwise it's been Smooth Sailing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)

Calling that quick or easy is a bit of a stretch. Gizmodo glosses over what they actually did, and it takes a fair bit of expertise, and equipment to do so, despite the claim that most people have these tools laying around their houses.

"First, the fingerprint of the enrolled user is photographed with 2400 dpi resolution. The resulting image is then cleaned up, inverted and laser printed with 1200 dpi onto transparent sheet with a thick toner setting. Finally, pink latex milk or white woodglue is smeared into the pattern created by the toner onto the transparent sheet. After it cures, the thin latex sheet is lifted from the sheet, breathed on to make it a tiny bit moist and then placed onto the sensor to unlock the phone."

That said, it's better than most readers, but still hackable via old but more refined methods used to fool image scanners. Now, the question is, is it any less secure than a 4 digit code or simple pattern swipe? Probably not. This is a feature for people like Marissa Meyer (CEO of Yahoo), who admitted she doesn't use a passcode to protect her phone because it's a pain in the ass. Odds are, she will use something like this, though. Still baffles me that people don't protect their phones, even if the methods available are pretty easy to hack.

TL;DR: You aren't stopping a pro that has physical access to your device, ever. But these methods (print, 4 digit lock, or swipe pattern) WILL stop the people that tend to steal phones.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (MEANS @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
I switched from AT&T to Verizon, I have better coverage, especially when attending sporting events/concerts than I did with AT&T but it's not always perfect. My main gripe is losing the unlimited plan I had been grandfathered in with via AT&T, otherwise it's been Smooth Sailing.

I also dropped AT&T for Verizon, pretty much the exact same prices, but I agree, Verizon's coverage and usability is just better.

I've honestly never had a problem with ATT service. I mean that to the extent that I've never had to really deal with their customer service because I haven't had problems. I don't remember calls dropping to any significant extent and I almost always have service as I travel around the midwest/south.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
I've honestly never had a problem with ATT service. I mean that to the extent that I've never had to really deal with their customer service because I haven't had problems. I don't remember calls dropping to any significant extent and I almost always have service as I travel around the midwest/south.

I realize this is anecdotal, but it was my experience that at times, I could be in the middle of downtown Chicago with AT&T, full signal, and absolutely no data. It claimed I had full 3G/4G signal, but nothing. This was a common occurrence at sporting events, too, and meanwhile, my friend with his Verizon phone never had these issues...and I no longer do, either.

Until AT&T decided to up their prices to the point they charged just as much as Verizon, I no longer had a reason to stick with them.

Edited by Y2HH

The only problem I've ever had with AT&T service was the lack of it when I drove to AZ last year. Tough to get a signal in the middle of the country in most areas.

Luckily that was a one time trip for me.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
I realize this is anecdotal, but it was my experience that at times, I could be in the middle of downtown Chicago with AT&T, full signal, and absolutely no data. It claimed I had full 3G/4G signal, but nothing. This was a common occurrence at sporting events, too, and meanwhile, my friend with his Verizon phone never had these issues...and I no longer do, either.

Until AT&T decided to up their prices to the point they charged just as much as Verizon, I no longer had a reason to stick with them.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
The only problem I've ever had with AT&T service was the lack of it when I drove to AZ last year. Tough to get a signal in the middle of the country in most areas.

Luckily that was a one time trip for me.

I've had both of these experiences with AT&T (only with them because they're on a business plan for me right now). I get the former experience even when away from major events, AT&T just has times when it decides it's not in a good mood. Problem is sometimes you actually need that data.

I used verizon a while back and found their ability to get coverage in the middle of no where quite impressive.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
Anyone with HTC One notice you can only charge your phone with their charger that came with the phone? Super annoying, I bought a generic usb charger for work, forgot to charge my phone last night and it's just freaking out.

It needs a higher amperage/wattage charger to work optimally. If you know to look for it, they aren't much/any more expensive. I bought a very nice one for my car for 12 bucks. Look for at least 1A on the charger, 2A works as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
I have a 1A and it is just freaking the f*** out. It's actually an HTC brand charger too. Maybe my wall station at work is just too low.

You might need 1.3 or 2 A.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)

Ditto.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
I've had both of these experiences with AT&T (only with them because they're on a business plan for me right now). I get the former experience even when away from major events, AT&T just has times when it decides it's not in a good mood. Problem is sometimes you actually need that data.

I used verizon a while back and found their ability to get coverage in the middle of no where quite impressive.

I had this issue on an AT&T MVNO. It got to the point where I had to pray I had cellular data. It was so hit or miss. I got rid of it and switched to T-Mobile. The coverage isn't as good, but I get a much more consistent internet connection.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
Anyone with HTC One notice you can only charge your phone with their charger that came with the phone? Super annoying, I bought a generic usb charger for work, forgot to charge my phone last night and it's just freaking out.

Works fine through USB and the other random charger I have (think it was an iPod charger?)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)

When you are around a bunch of other people especially when they have verizon the ATT service gets blocked. That's why it sucks at sporting events.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
When you are around a bunch of other people especially when they have verizon the ATT service gets blocked. That's why it sucks at sporting events.

I'm not a cellular technology expert, but I think GSM and CDMA towers are separate. So Verizon traffic usually doesn't affect AT&T traffic. The only reason where I can see something one service interfering with another is LTE. LTE is a GSM and it's not uncommon for companies to share towers.

My theory is just that there are way too many people on AT&T and their network doesn't handle it as well as Verizon. There are also more CDMA towers in the US than GSM.

Edited by chw42