Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
This is so true, but I also kind of want one. :huh I'll have to see it in person to see if it's the color I want.

This is what the "gold" iPhone looks like...it's not a "bling" gold color, so much as it's champaign.

gold_iphone_5s_press_large_verge_super_w

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
All I know is I bought apple care for my 5 when I bought it last year and if it breaks in the next year and they give me one of those piece of s*** plastic 5c phones as a replacement I'm going to be furious.

Since they discontinued the 5 I imagine this is what will happen.

No, repairs/fixes for iPhone 5's and full exchanges are not done with off the shelf models, but refurbished models or "repair/replace" models...so they'll replace your 5 with another 5.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
I sold my iPhone 4 in June for 225 (before eBay took a surprisingly large chunk of that)

Bought an HTC One and am never turning back :)

I just can't get into Android, it's just not for me. I hate dealing with my brother and his wife's Galaxy S3's whenever they need help with something. Also, I have too much Apple stuff to bother with Android for the foreseeable future...everything I have works seamlessly together without extra configuration, gimmicks, or 3rd party software to do so.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
I just can't get into Android, it's just not for me. I hate dealing with my brother and his wife's Galaxy S3's whenever they need help with something. Also, I have too much Apple stuff to bother with Android for the foreseeable future...everything I have works seamlessly together without extra configuration, gimmicks, or 3rd party software to do so.

And this is their master plan...:)

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 02:30 AM)
Can you seriously sell a 5 for more than $300? I have a 32 gig 5 and if I could get that much for it Id upgrade in a second. I always assumed you took a bigger loss when reselling a cell phone.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_ItemCond...+5&LH_BIN=1

You can probably get $450 after eBay takes their chunk of your sale.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
My phone has a fingerprint scanner. It's kind of cool, but I don't need any password or security on my phone, so I just have mine turned off.

WTF?

As a security technologist, I cannot comprehend this mentality.

ANY device containing personal information, of you, or of others, absolutely requires security/passwords, and then some. The first and second rule when a knowledgable thief steals someones smart phone is 1) pop out the sim and 2) disable wifi. And if it's already unlocked/unguarded like yours is, I now have infinite time to browse around it for useful information.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
WTF?

ANY device containing personal information, of you, or of others, absolutely requires security/passwords, and then some. The first and second rule when a knowledgable thief steals someones smart phone is 1) pop out the sim and 2) disable wifi. And if it's already unlocked/unguarded like yours is, I now have infinite time to browse around it for useful information.

Yea you need at least basic security on your phone such as a passcode to get in, that'll at least deter common thieves to a point.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
WTF?

Meh. I'm careful with my phone.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2866810:date=Sep 11, 2013 -> 07:10 PM:name=Chilihead90)-->
QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
<!--quotec-->Meh. I'm careful with my phone.

Still, this can always happen...

I remember this. I lived right down the street at the time, haha.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Never once cracked an iphone screen, week 2 with the 5, smashed.

I never did either, so I figured my time was coming. When the i5 came out I purchased Apple Care + with it, which I NEVER buy. So of course, so far so good...

If I didn't have that, I'm sure I would have broken it 5 times now.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
My phone decided to die today, and I was going to get a new one soon anyway. Any suggestions for a new droid?

HTC One

If you have some specific preferences as far as features/strengths/carrier we might be able to point you towards a particular phone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Does CNET take money from vendors? It seems year after year they always lean a certain direction on things like TV's. Seems fishy

I stopped trusting CNET a long time ago. I remember reading some stuff about them I didn't like, I can't recall what it was now, but their articles/writing/reviews haven't done much to change my opinion of them as of late.