Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
still love it

http://flapship.com/directv-genie-review/

I really need to find someone to do something with Flapship. ANYONE with basic design skills to post these articles. I've got way too much work to do, but this site gets effortless hits, still, based on super old content. We're talking 4,000 hits per month with nothing new.

The new content was what always made it go bananas since it's an approved Google News source.

Oh, side projects.

Must have been that Derrick Rose thing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
Yea, like I said it was a friend's tv so I wasn't going to mess with it. I personally have a plasma and love it, though the room is sometimes a bit too bright for it.

I think Rock may be right...I noticed it a lot more on my fiancee's tv than my own...and she has a cheaper 42 inch that is probably 120 hz.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I think Rock may be right...I noticed it a lot more on my fiancee's tv than my own...and she has a cheaper 42 inch that is probably 120 hz.

It's the auto upscale, I f***ing hate it too. You can turn it off. My new family room is bright as s*** so a plasma wont work, however I'll be watching the good s*** in the basement on the much larger plasma.

Steve's article is gold, but the comments are better. Comcast has a "new" guide? Bulls***. Comcast has been raping me for years, why is it that I pay 250 per month? 2 f***ing TV's plus internet.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
It's the auto upscale, I f***ing hate it too. You can turn it off. My new family room is bright as s*** so a plasma wont work, however I'll be watching the good s*** in the basement on the much larger plasma.

Steve's article is gold, but the comments are better. Comcast has a "new" guide? Bulls***. Comcast has been raping me for years, why is it that I pay 250 per month? 2 f***ing TV's plus internet.

I have the DirecTV premier package, and then each year I buy the Extra Innings and Sunday Ticket packages. I have 4 tvs. It comes out to $180 per month on average, which is a crapload considering I don't get internet from them or anything, but considering how much I follow my out of town sports teams, and how I like the flexibility of being able to DVR basically any show I want, I think it's probably worth it. I stay in more often than not these days, and so I chalk it up as an entertainment expense.

Eventually I will probably switch more to an internet based system where I get a basic programming package from DirecTV and then just pay to watch the shows I want on Apple tv or something, but not quite ready to dive into that yet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
I have the DirecTV premier package, and then each year I buy the Extra Innings and Sunday Ticket packages. I have 4 tvs. It comes out to $180 per month on average, which is a crapload considering I don't get internet from them or anything, but considering how much I follow my out of town sports teams, and how I like the flexibility of being able to DVR basically any show I want, I think it's probably worth it. I stay in more often than not these days, and so I chalk it up as an entertainment expense.

Eventually I will probably switch more to an internet based system where I get a basic programming package from DirecTV and then just pay to watch the shows I want on Apple tv or something, but not quite ready to dive into that yet.

Thats still pretty damn good with that many TV's. My first year rate is 80/month for 5, such a no brainer. Calling Comcast today, its going to be fun.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)

Yeah, the comments on that article have been money.

I still don't know how people are paying Comcast that much, not to mention the fact that they're actually paying it.

I pay 149$ a month, after tax for the following:

Premier Package, HBO, Stars, Max, etc (all the movie channels)

2 HD DVR's (one in basement one upstairs, and these are the new tiny xfinity ones)

1 additional TV w/no DVR

1 Modem (50mbit down, 10mbit up, actual speeds)

Home Phone Service

I looked into Dish + Internet from Comcast and simply couldn't beat this price.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
I still don't know how people are paying Comcast that much, not to mention the fact that they're actually paying it.

I pay 149$ a month, after tax for the following:

Premier Package, HBO, Stars, Max, etc (all the movie channels)

2 HD DVR's (one in basement one upstairs, and these are the new tiny xfinity ones)

1 additional TV w/no DVR

1 Modem (50mbit down, 10mbit up, actual speeds)

Home Phone Service

I looked into Dish + Internet from Comcast and simply couldn't beat this price.

Here is my bill:

Digital Premier-126.95

HD/DVR service-8.00

Additional Outlet service 17.95

HD technology fee-9.95

Movie rental (coffee town)-7.99

Internet

Modem Rental-7.00

High speed internet 51.95

Performance Internet svc-0

Taxes, fees-16.64

total-246.43

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
Here is my bill:

Digital Premier-126.95

HD/DVR service-8.00

HD technology fee-9.95

Internet

Modem Rental-7.00

Taxes, fees-16.64

total-246.43

Why do you guys rent your modems, you can get the same ones if not better ones online and pay like a years worth of those rental fees for them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Why do you guys rent your modems, you can get the same ones if not better ones online and pay like a years worth of those rental fees for them.

I usually don't, but with the package I have only being 149$ WITH the rentals, I'm not f***ing with it. ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
Here is my bill:

Digital Premier-126.95

HD/DVR service-8.00

HD technology fee-9.95

Internet

Modem Rental-7.00

Taxes, fees-16.64

total-246.43

You needed to call and renegotiate terms, something they're ALL willing to do. Of course, moving service is another option...which I was going to do recently (even had DtV out here to check things out) the only reason I didn't go with DtV after researching it, is because I'm still relying on Comcast for Internet, and in such a case, the Internet becomes even more expensive. So DtV+Internet service was just way beyond that 149$ I ended up paying after calling them.

My brother, who lives across the street from me, is on the exact opposite end of the boat...he's a DtV customer, and had to recently call and threaten to move to Comcast so they'd give him a similar deal, but even with the best deal they offer, because he relies on Comcast for Internet, whatever his Cable bill is, he has to add on about 60$ a month to get the same speed Internet service I'm getting as part of my TV package. Comcast only wins for me, BECAUSE of their Internet. If Google Fiber was available here, I'd probably not have Comcast.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
You needed to call and renegotiate terms, something they're ALL willing to do. Of course, moving service is another option...which I was going to do recently (even had DtV out here to check things out) the only reason I didn't go with DtV after researching it, is because I'm still relying on Comcast for Internet, and in such a case, the Internet becomes even more expensive. So DtV+Internet service was just way beyond that 149$ I ended up paying after calling them.

My brother, who lives across the street from me, is on the exact opposite end of the boat...he's a DtV customer, and had to recently call and threaten to move to Comcast so they'd give him a similar deal, but even with the best deal they offer, because he relies on Comcast for Internet, whatever his Cable bill is, he has to add on about 60$ a month to get the same speed Internet service I'm getting as part of my TV package. Comcast only wins for me, BECAUSE of their Internet. If Google Fiber was available here, I'd probably not have Comcast.

Im moving so im switching to dish. It will be 70 bucks a month for tv and 30 for the same internet package I am getting now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Surprisingly they MADE me switch to theirs a few years ago.

As long as you use a pre-approved modem they cant really do s*** (well as far as I know). They tried using that on me in college, I had done my research though and got their list of approved modems, went to Best Buy and got one onsale (didn't want to wait for Amazon to ship at the time). It was about $50.

My current one (on RCN) is a pre-approved combo modem/router, nice not to need two devices that just waste space. That was about $90, or just about a years worth of fees and I didn't have to buy a router on top of that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
As long as you use a pre-approved modem they cant really do s*** (well as far as I know). They tried using that on me in college, I had done my research though and got their list of approved modems, went to Best Buy and got one onsale (didn't want to wait for Amazon to ship at the time). It was about $50.

My current one (on RCN) is a pre-approved combo modem/router, nice not to need two devices that just waste space. That was about $90, or just about a years worth of fees and I didn't have to buy a router on top of that.

Nope, they can't stop you from owning your own modem. One of those idiots probably lied to him.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
Nope, they can't stop you from owning your own modem. One of those idiots probably lied to him.

They are the worst. I'm actually super excited to cancel on them since its been roughly 10 years ive been a customer. Their behavior of overcharging over and over is ridiculous.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
They are the worst. I'm actually super excited to cancel on them since its been roughly 10 years ive been a customer. Their behavior of overcharging over and over is ridiculous.

With any of these providers, including DirecTV, Dish, Cox, etc., every 2 years, when your "contract" expires, you HAVE to call them back and renegotiate another 2 year contract. So long as you aren't on a contract, they will play the "charge whatever we want" game.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
2 weeks since I bought the HTC One and absolutely loving it. What a kickass device.

Rooted it to get rid of all the Verizon bloat and running the stock ROM for now (Apex launcher).

Finally, someone listened to reason and got the HTC One. It's the ONLY Android based phone that I believe the hardware is on par with Apple's quality. The damn thing just looks and FEELS awesome.

Edited by Y2HH

Got my 50 ft ethernet cable in, hooked it all up, tried every single one of those 7 or 8 programs I downloaded...... none of them allow either my PS3 or my Chromecast to connect. f***.

Connectify is the only one that at least gives me a WiFi connection, but my phone and thus my Chromecast won't connect to it. And my PS3 doesn't even see that WiFi network as an option. So then instead I try to connect my Chromecast via my computer that is hardwired. Nope, still doesn't work. What. The. f***.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
Got my 50 ft ethernet cable in, hooked it all up, tried every single one of those 7 or 8 programs I downloaded...... none of them allow either my PS3 or my Chromecast to connect. f***.

Connectify is the only one that at least gives me a WiFi connection, but my phone and thus my Chromecast won't connect to it. And my PS3 doesn't even see that WiFi network as an option. So then instead I try to connect my Chromecast via my computer that is hardwired. Nope, still doesn't work. What. The. f***.

So have you called the school's IT to figure out why it's not working?