Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
Any router suggestions? I have an old linksys but Im thinking that with several devices using wireless at the same time maybe I should upgrade.

Honestly I had weird results with linksys for a long time where I had to keep resetting them etc until I bought my AirPort Extreme. The range has been awesome.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
Honestly I had weird results with linksys for a long time where I had to keep resetting them etc until I bought my AirPort Extreme. The range has been awesome.

The biggest flaw in the AirPort Extreme is that you have to reboot it whenever you make changes ... that said, it is, bar none, the best wireless router I've EVER owned. But that's not surprising considering Apple was one of the very first companies to do WiFi, they been at it the longest, and the hardware speaks volumes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
I don't think I've changed a single setting in my home router (cisco valet 2nd gen) since I set it up about two years ago now. It does get reset now and then since both it and the cable modem are on a switched outlet and the modem acts up sometimes.

One would think you'd want to upgrade the firmware.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Just got my first smart phone. This s*** is amazing, yo.

Prepare to open up the app store whenever you are facing a problem.

I remember getting a package in the mail and opening up the app store to see about a knife.

Yep, that happened

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
so does anyone here know a decent amount about virtual machines/HyperV? I could use some basic help.

What's the purpose? Home or business? For home, Windows 8 Pro client Hyper-V could be an option.

For business, I would only recommend Hyper-V on Server 2012. Hyper-V on 2008 R2 is just not good. Also, I'd recommend using "Hyper-V Server". Difference is you can install Hyper-V as a role on top of Server OS or as a standalone (more stable).

I'll take it a step further and recommend VMware ESXi over Hyper-V for business. It's free too. It's not as user friendly, but if reliability is your main goal, ESXi is the way to go. Again, depends on your purpose.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Prepare to open up the app store whenever you are facing a problem.

I remember getting a package in the mail and opening up the app store to see about a knife.

Yep, that happened

True.

I no longer can track how many days I have worn a set of contact lenses on a calendar, it takes my phone and an app.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
I don't think I've changed a single setting in my home router (cisco valet 2nd gen) since I set it up about two years ago now. It does get reset now and then since both it and the cable modem are on a switched outlet and the modem acts up sometimes.

Same here. I want it to work without me touching a thing, same as my electric, water, and tv. I don't have to shut down my main breaker and restart all my electric. I don't have to shut off my water occasionally. Just work.

I have actually taken the time to tailor the ads I see everywhere. We'll see if it works. I've wanted to tell the ad generator that I bought a truck, so stop the Tundra, Silverado, F150, Ram 1500 ads and give me something new.

Ok Soxtalk, help pick my new cell phone.

My currently phone is having "dead spot" issues on the screen. I can't hit the "E, S, W, X, or comma" buttons on the on-screen keyboard. When flipped horizontally, I lose the backspace and semi-colon buttons. For some reason this seems to only be an issue when I am typing a message, so maybe downloading a new messaging app will solve this? I have no clue. There is nothing visibly on the screen, I have "cleaned" it several times and I have turned the phone off and on again.

So in the event that I can't fix this spot, I'll probably just get a new phone considering this one is a few years old. Now I've never actually chose or purchased a smart phone before, so I am not 100% on what to look for as far as processing speeds and types of processors and what not. I have no idea on the current specs of my phone, other than it's an Android 2.3 or something and there are a fair amount of apps I can't even use on this phone.

Anyway, being a cheap college kid with no current income, I have come across these possibilities at Best Buy (their prices were better than AT&Ts website).....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemap...p;gf=y&cp=2

Sony Xperia TL 4G - FREE

LG Optimus G 4G (16GB) - FREE

Pantech Flex 4G - FREE

LG Escape 4G (4GB) - FREE

Motorola Atrix HD 4G - FREE

Pantech Discover 4G - $50

Samsung Galaxy S3 4G (16GB) - $50

I am eligible for an upgrade with 2-year commitment, blah blah blah. There are a ton of really nice $100 phones, like the HTC One, LG Optimus G Pro, and Moto X, but I don't want to pay nearly $150 after activation and taxes.

So what say you? Any other places to get better deals than Best Buy? I just began this search 15 minutes ago, so I haven't looked very hard yet.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Ok Soxtalk, help pick my new cell phone.

My currently phone is having "dead spot" issues on the screen. I can't hit the "E, S, W, X, or comma" buttons on the on-screen keyboard. When flipped horizontally, I lose the backspace and semi-colon buttons. For some reason this seems to only be an issue when I am typing a message, so maybe downloading a new messaging app will solve this? I have no clue. There is nothing visibly on the screen, I have "cleaned" it several times and I have turned the phone off and on again.

So in the event that I can't fix this spot, I'll probably just get a new phone considering this one is a few years old. Now I've never actually chose or purchased a smart phone before, so I am not 100% on what to look for as far as processing speeds and types of processors and what not. I have no idea on the current specs of my phone, other than it's an Android 2.3 or something and there are a fair amount of apps I can't even use on this phone.

Anyway, being a cheap college kid with no current income, I have come across these possibilities at Best Buy (their prices were better than AT&Ts website).....

Sony Xperia TL 4G - FREE

LG Optimus G 4G (16GB) - FREE

Pantech Flex 4G - FREE

LG Escape 4G (4GB) - FREE

Motorola Atrix HD 4G - FREE

Pantech Discover 4G - $50

Samsung Galaxy S3 4G (16GB) - $50

I am eligible for an upgrade with 2-year commitment, blah blah blah. There are a ton of really nice $100 phones, like the HTC One, LG Optimus G Pro, and Moto X, but I don't want to pay nearly $150 after activation and taxes.

So what say you? Any other places to get better deals than Best Buy? I just began this search 15 minutes ago, so I haven't looked very hard yet.

The best phone out of the free ones is the Optimus G, by far. It's basically a Nexus 4 without the software updates. Followed by the Atrix HD and Xperia TL. Don't even consider the other crap in that list.

The Optimus G has better hardware than the S3 (it's like 6 months older than the Optimus G), but the S3 actually has a better dev community that can keep your phone going for a bit longer. If you're not willing to shell out the extra $50, then go with the Optimus G. If you would like more stable and frequent custom ROMs for your phone, get the S3.

So If I were to rank those phones, it'd be something like

1a. Optimus G

1b. Galaxy S3

2 Atrix HD

3. Xperia TL

Don't even consider the rest. And the fact that AT&T has to stick a 4G to the end of all these phone names is annoying as hell.

Just one question though...are you paying your cell phone bill? Because if you are, you'd be much better off just going to prepaid and buying one of these phones unlocked.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
The best phone out of the free ones is the Optimus G, by far. It's basically a Nexus 4 without the software updates. Followed by the Atrix HD and Xperia TL. Don't even consider the other crap in that list.

The Optimus G has better hardware than the S3 (it's like 6 months older than the Optimus G), but the S3 actually has a better dev community that can keep your phone going for a bit longer. If you're not willing to shell out the extra $50, then go with the Optimus G. If you would like more stable and frequent custom ROMs for your phone, get the S3.

So If I were to rank those phones, it'd be something like

1a. Optimus G

1b. Galaxy S3

2 Atrix HD

3. Xperia TL

Don't even consider the rest. And the fact that AT&T has to stick a 4G to the end of all these phone names is annoying as hell.

Just one question though...are you paying your cell phone bill? Because if you are, you'd be much better off just going to prepaid and buying one of these phones unlocked.

Interesting. Right off the bat I was leaning towards the Atrix HD simply because I currently have the older Atrix and I haven't had any real issues until this "dead spot" thing. I just watched a review on the Pantech and I have definitely ruled it out, lol. It looks so outdated.

I did like the Xperia review that I just watched, but I still have the Atrix HD reviews to look at next. The Optimus G review I watched said the camera was not that great, and the battery life was short, which drives me nuts with my current phone. I check out some more reviews.

EDIT: And no, I am not paying my cell phone bill. Luckily my parents still have mercy on a college kid's budget.

Edited by Chilihead90

Upon further inspection, I think I am leaning towards the LG Optimus G over the Xperia. The battery life thing scares me a bit, but it does seem to be slightly better than my current phone's battery, which struggles to last an entire day if I am playing games or on twitter with it. I have to charge it at least once a day.

The biggest thing that bugs me about the Optimus is the nonremovable battery. That could be a real pain in the ass.