what would Branyan command?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
Despite his career year, I have to think he's getting a pretty small contract..

I don't think anyone really knows because of the concerns about his back. I read something about the Indians possibly being interested, but only if he came at a very, very inexpensive price tag. My guess is somewhere in the $4-5 million range?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
I don't think anyone really knows because of the concerns about his back. I read something about the Indians possibly being interested, but only if he came at a very, very inexpensive price tag. My guess is somewhere in the $4-5 million range?

Last week, I would have said that is high, but when Xavier Nady who is still hurt and not sure when he will be back, commands $3 million plus, how knows.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Last week, I would have said that is high, but when Xavier Nady who is still hurt and not sure when he will be back, commands $3 million plus, how knows.

From the Cubs. I don't think they've handed out a good contract within the past 3 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
If Dye is getting $3 million offers, Branyon can't be worth that much.

Well, he did post an OPS about .100 points higher than Dye last year...obviously JD has the pedigree, but the "what have you done for me lately" attitude usually prevails in the MLB...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)

His back must really be f***ed up. The Mets could really use a power hitting 1B, we could use a lefty DH and he is still available. I hope we get him, if healthy, because I think he would be a perfect DH platoon guy vs. RHP, much better than Kotsay I believe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
If Dye is getting $3 million offers, Branyon can't be worth that much.

If Dye is getting 3 Mil and has terrible UZR which is keeping his price down...then Damon and his terrible UZR cant be far behind. Come on Kenny go get damon 1 YR 4 Mil.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)
If Dye is getting 3 Mil and has terrible UZR which is keeping his price down...then Damon and his terrible UZR cant be far behind. Come on Kenny go get damon 1 YR 4 Mil.

Dye is two times as bad as Damon in the OF while Damon was better offensively. Damon >>>>> Dye.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Well, he did post an OPS about .100 points higher than Dye last year...obviously JD has the pedigree, but the "what have you done for me lately" attitude usually prevails in the MLB...

And Branyan has a bad back on top of it all. I can't see Rus Branyan getting as much money as Vlad.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 01:48 AM)
Dye is two times as bad as Damon in the OF while Damon was better offensively. Damon >>>>> Dye.

Well I agree with that, so what do you think Damons Market value is. Similar to what Vlad and Matsui got, like 1 year 6.5M.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Me neither its obvious his first half of 09 was a huge fluke.

hmm, funny you'd say that considering in his previous 1052 plate appearances, he put up an .839 OPS with sporadic playing time. Maybe it was getting the opportunity to start that provided the big offensive numbers and the injury caused his numbers to dip in the second half. That's what it looks like to me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
hmm, funny you'd say that considering in his previous 1052 plate appearances, he put up an .839 OPS with sporadic playing time. Maybe it was getting the opportunity to start that provided the big offensive numbers and the injury caused his numbers to dip in the second half. That's what it looks like to me.

Well despite his monster first half HR total if he was injured 2nd half then we dont want an injured player anyway.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Well despite his monster first half HR total if he was injured 2nd half then we dont want an injured player anyway.

He was injured implies exactly that, he was injured. It doesn't mean he is still injured. And if the Sox can keep Thome's back healthy, they would likely be able to put Branyan on a similar regimen, which would keep him relatively healthy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
He was injured implies exactly that, he was injured. It doesn't mean he is still injured. And if the Sox can keep Thome's back healthy, they would likely be able to put Branyan on a similar regimen, which would keep him relatively healthy.

Not all back injuries are the same. No one's been able to keep Crede's back healthy, for example.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
Not all back injuries are the same. No one's been able to keep Crede's back healthy, for example.

That's true, but part of Crede's value was also playing the field, and the way he plays 3B puts a tremendous amount of strain on his back. If Crede were a full time DH or played mostly DH, I would guess that he could remain relatively healthy.