If you could have 1 player back

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
What I don't understand is where this seemingly arbitrary figure of $4 million that we supposedly have available came from...Scott Merkin?

Because there was the contradictory quote that we have the resources to add an "impact" player if we needed to at some point (reading between the lines, at mid-season, so the salary hit wouldn't be as large I suppose).

It just doesn't make any sense to lose Damon to the Tigers over $1-2 million. I could see if the difference was $3-5 million, then you pass. But I think while he's not a superstar (and never really was), he would be a significant addition that would make everyone feel a lot more comfortable, and it would take a lot of the pressure off the likes of Beckham, Quentin and Konerko...not to mention Jones or Kotsay will start pressing as well if the offense is struggling in April/May to produce runs and either one start off the season like Dye in 2005, BA in 2006 or Alexei the last two seasons, the media will start hammering both them and KW...just like the CF situation last year when Wise was getting booed the first week as leadoff hitter.

I don't know where the figure came from, but it's been mentioned quite a bit so I assume it's accurate. The $4.5M quoted can't really be overstated, can it? I mean, even in this climate you'd have to offer at least that just to get Damon to listen to you speak.

I think the impact player JR was talking about was probably Gonzalez, or someone similar. I think JR was talking about another huge addition that would sell tickets and reinvigorate the fanbase. I don't think Damon does much of either, although he definitely makes us a lot better. JR isn't going to risk taking a hit for just anyone.

I agree, but it never made sense to go with Kotsay and Jones at DH either, and yet Kenny stuck by Ozzie with that one all offseason. It's like the peyote is just wearing off now.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
Rowand. The trade for Thome didnt take the team over the top as expected.

Rowand for Thome meant CF went to Brian Anderson, who never panned out.

But let's also not forget that Arizona wanted BA instead of Chris Young for Vazquez. Had KW sent Blondie and kept Young, 2006 may have been a different story.

QUOTE (Drew @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:09 AM)
Rowand for Thome meant CF went to Brian Anderson, who never panned out.

But let's also not forget that Arizona wanted BA instead of Chris Young for Vazquez. Had KW sent Blondie and kept Young, 2006 may have been a different story.

I don't even remember reading that the DBacks wanting Brian Anderson. I know I have seen a lot of people say they would have rather traded BA, but not actual evidence that was a real choice for Kenny. Do you have a link to anything like that?

I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't believe that Vazquez makes this team better than adding any other player.

A rotation with him in it instead of Garcia would probably make it the best in the history of baseball. Seriously.

But, I still might pick Andy Gonzalez just to make things interesting. How funny would it be if the Sox were forced to carry him on the roster this year?

Kind of funny like a pain that keeps making you laugh but it hurts so much you can't move at the same time that you are laughing.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY