Afghanistan.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:22 AM)
Basically, the entire RS article would have to be a fabrication for kap's point to make sense. Oh, and we'd need a reason why he immediately offered resignation instead of denying the allegations. And why Obama would want a headline story about top military doubting him and his administration.

He apparently is denying that he ever offered his resignation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
CNN is running that a Pentagon source expects he will in fact have his resignation accepted and the Obama admin has asked the Pentagon to suggest replacements.

I see your CNN story, and raise you an MSNBC story with direct quotes:

On his arrival at the Pentagon, he denied to NBC News that he's offered his resignation. "Come on, you know better than that. No!"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
I see your CNN story, and raise you an MSNBC story with direct quotes:

And right there, he's doing nothing but protecting himself, such that if Obama decides to fire him, he can say he was "fired", or if Obama decides to keep him on, he can deny he ever offered it. He's never going to answer that question with an "affirmative". It'd be almost as bad of PR as having a case of bud light lime and then ranting about how much you dislike Biden and Holbrooke.

Either way, the Obama/McCrystal showdown was supposed to start 5 minutes ago.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
Fire him!!!

Seriously, that's not even beer, its something 19 year old college girls drink.

And drunk middle-aged women in Cincinnati. I've never seen a bartender so annoyed.

(drunken slur) "do you have bud light lime?!"

"I have bud light, and a lime."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
By the way, it's worth noting that McCrystal apparently still hasn't learned how to say "no comment" to the press when there's a situation that requires a no comment.

Yeah, but I don't care. I prefer guys that speak their mind. That's why I love guys like Ozzie in baseball. Is he the most professional all the time? No. Does he say stupid things on occasion? Yes. But he's not a robot, he's a human, just like the rest of us.

I'm fine with people critizicing this guy for what he said. It wasn't very smart. But let's look at the situation from a neutral position. It's a guy stuck in an airport or base, talking to a Rolling Stone writer (liberal, clear anti-war bias) while drinking a few beers. He's just speaking his mind and it gets recorded. He's not giving a professional press conference.

Again, stupid, but it's not the greatest sin in the world. Deserving of being fired? Eh. I could go either way really.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Yeah, but I don't care. I prefer guys that speak their mind. That's why I love guys like Ozzie in baseball. Is he the most professional all the time? No. Does he say stupid things on occasion? Yes. But he's not a robot, he's a human, just like the rest of us.

I'm fine with people critizicing this guy for what he said. It wasn't very smart. But let's look at the situation from a neutral position. It's a guy stuck in an airport or base, talking to a Rolling Stone writer (liberal, clear anti-war bias) while drinking a few beers. He's just speaking his mind and it gets recorded. He's not giving a professional press conference.

Again, stupid, but it's not the greatest sin in the world. Deserving of being fired? Eh. I could go either way really.

I am not famous and not important. But even I know, if I am talking to a reporter who is working on a story about me and what I do - everything I say is on the record.

The reporter from RS was on MSNBC yesterday and said - "nobody ever mentioned anything was off the record, so I assumed they thought it was all on the record."

It's super poor judgment, and if you can't handle a single reporter from a pop culture music magazine, how are you supposed to handle an army? The problem is dumping McChrystal means that the the offensive will change, because this gentleman essentially IS the strategy.

Given what we've been hearing the last few weeks, that may not be a bad thing either.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Please. I complain about my bosses all the time. That doesn't change how I perform my job duties.

If you were a VP at a major corporation, and you and your cohort VP's were quoted in the paper saying these things about your CEO to a person you knew to be reporting on it, you'd be fired. And should be.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
If you were a VP at a major corporation, and you and your cohort VP's were quoted in the paper saying these things about your CEO to a person you knew to be reporting on it, you'd be fired. And should be.

That's fair. I was arguing against this ridiculous statement:

It's super poor judgment, and if you can't handle a single reporter from a pop culture music magazine, how are you supposed to handle an army?

As is well know here, I really like McCain, and reading his quotes, he seems to back the Pres 100%. If it is good enough for John, it is good enough for me.

And btw, I wonder how many Americans thought, "we're still fighting a war there"?

General McChrystal is going to be on the next episode of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong"

Btw this is a rough summary of how a virtual exchange went.

Obama: I'm firing General McChrystal.

Right-wing press: And who are you going to replace him with? Al Franken? Nancy Pelosi?

Obama: No. actually, General Petraeus.

Right-wing press: Oh. Umm... well, does he actually have a strategy?

Petraeus: Yes. Pretty much the same one since I literally wrote the book on it.

Right-wing press: *crickets*

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
General McChrystal is going to be on the next episode of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong"

Btw this is a rough summary of how a virtual exchange went.

Obama: I'm firing General McChrystal.

Right-wing press: And who are you going to replace him with? Al Franken? Nancy Pelosi?

Obama: No. actually, General Petraeus.

Right-wing press: Oh. Umm... well, does he actually have a strategy?

Petraeus: Yes. Pretty much the same one since I literally wrote the book on it.

Right-wing press: *crickets*

Oh, you mean General Betrayus? Yea. Obama is a hypocritical douchebag.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Oh, you mean General Betrayus? Yea. Obama is a hypocritical douchebag.

Find me a link where Obama said that. I'll wait.

Actually I'll do you one better, find me an example of where anybody resembling anything close to a leadership position in the Democratic Party did anything other than condemn moveon.org for that ad.