MLB 10: The Show

Quin

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
Someone teach me how to hit. I keep chasing on crap pitches. How do I learn pitch recognition.

jobu.jpg

This is easily the hardest part of the game, and why I haven't played my 2B/RF for the Angels in a while instead of my pitcher. I K like I'm on a mission to beat Ryan Howard. If I could get some recognition, just about all my hits are doubles are HR's...all like, 12 of them :lolhitting

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
jobu.jpg

This is easily the hardest part of the game, and why I haven't played my 2B/RF for the Angels in a while instead of my pitcher. I K like I'm on a mission to beat Ryan Howard. If I could get some recognition, just about all my hits are doubles are HR's...all like, 12 of them :lolhitting

Eh erm...I think you mean Mark Reynolds, he obliterated Howard's record (which he already beat in 2008), by striking out 223 times, a full 24 more times than Howard ever did.

Anyway...

My pitcher is just smashing AA right now. Just finished my 3 CG of the season. 9 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 K's.

Season stats: 9-2, 2.19 ERA, 103 IP, 102 H, 2 HR, 6 BB, 67 K, 1.05 WHIP, and of my 9 wins, 7 were on the road.

I am hoping to get the call to AAA soon.....

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
My pitcher is just smashing AA right now. Just finished my 3 CG of the season. 9 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 11 K's.

Season stats: 9-2, 2.19 ERA, 103 IP, 102 H, 2 HR, 6 BB, 67 K, 1.05 WHIP, and of my 9 wins, 7 were on the road.

I am hoping to get the call to AAA soon.....

Future bust. :D

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
Future bust. :D

Yeah, my ERA should be like mid 3's really, but I get so many double plays it's amazing. I have challenged the record for most DPs in a game (8), by rolling up 6 of them. As I type this, I just got a double play ball. Not sure if they track that stat in this game, but I would venture to guess I have at least 30-40 double plays turned.

EDIT: Add another. I have 4 DPs this game, and I am only through 6 IP.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
Someone teach me how to hit. I keep chasing on crap pitches. How do I learn pitch recognition.

Lower hitting difficulty to rookie for a few games, timing only matters there. Just focus on swinging if it looks like its in the zone. Then try without guessing pitches to start getting the timing down. Once you get that figured out move back up to veteran because getting timing and strike zone recognition down while also worry about getting the location of the pitch with the analog is impossible, thats what I did last year and this year to improve my hitting.

Then again I'm still really s***ty at hitting haha.

My game just suffered a stroke. :o

I heard a weird noise come from my system, and then on my next pitch, the game sped up 3 times as fast. The pitching meter came around in half a second, and the gameplay spiked big time. On the throw back to my pitcher, the game slowed down, and the animation was way off. My pitcher caught a ball that was thrown 4 feet to the right. Then on my next pitch is was fine, and then the 3rd pitch was once again sped up. I decided to just sim to the end of then game, and turned my system off.

I hope my game has not been scratched, or my system going haywire. I would say now is a good time to call it quits for the night.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
Lower hitting difficulty to rookie for a few games, timing only matters there. Just focus on swinging if it looks like its in the zone. Then try without guessing pitches to start getting the timing down. Once you get that figured out move back up to veteran because getting timing and strike zone recognition down while also worry about getting the location of the pitch with the analog is impossible, thats what I did last year and this year to improve my hitting.

That's a good recommendation.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)

Glad to hear I am not the only one that sucks at hitting. I think I will try that approach as well.

I think hitting has more to do with the left stick than timing. If I "square up" and hit the ball in that zone, regardless of the timing I seem to get a hit. I also think that the reality of the game comes out - the 1st and 2nd guys are really tough, but the 4th and 5th guys aren't so bad.

But yeah. Timing is a biatch. I think playing tons of games is the only real solution.

I've been struggling with hitting so this past Saturday I did some research and found a technique that seems to be working for me........

First, I guess low, fastball on every pitch. Typcially, if I guessed wrong on the pitch, then it will be some sort of off speed pitch which I'll be ready for. Second, if I guess wrong on the locatoion, there is a good chance it's going to be up in the zone. Whatever the current count is helps to determine if that pitch will be up or out of the zone...like a 0-2 count, you can pretty much count on it being out of the zone.

As I've done this, I've become much more comfortable with hitting, and successful as well. At first, I would refrain from swinging on any pitches unless I guess right, but now I'm swinging more based the pitch history, etc.

Another thing that might help is to turn on the plate coverage indicator, this will help you without a doubt.

This game is very rewarding when you start ripping singles up the middle or doubles down the line, it's where you really start to feel the authenticity of the gameplay.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I've been struggling with hitting so this past Saturday I did some research and found a technique that seems to be working for me........

First, I guess low, fastball on every pitch. Typcially, if I guessed wrong on the pitch, then it will be some sort of off speed pitch which I'll be ready for. Second, if I guess wrong on the locatoion, there is a good chance it's going to be up in the zone. Whatever the current count is helps to determine if that pitch will be up or out of the zone...like a 0-2 count, you can pretty much count on it being out of the zone.

As I've done this, I've become much more comfortable with hitting, and successful as well. At first, I would refrain from swinging on any pitches unless I guess right, but now I'm swinging more based the pitch history, etc.

Another thing that might help is to turn on the plate coverage indicator, this will help you without a doubt.

This game is very rewarding when you start ripping singles up the middle or doubles down the line, it's where you really start to feel the authenticity of the gameplay.

Good tips. I shall try when I get home

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Good tips. I shall try when I get home

Try to figure out which fastball the pitcher likes to throw more often, the 2 seam or 4 seam. Then make that the one you regularly guess on. At the very least, this method helps to get the pitch count up as it provides a bit more discipline, which most games I played I had the opposing pitcher going for complete games.

Now, If I can only get pitching down.......

Edited by HeGone33

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)

That is exactly what I have been doing too.

Ive tried a new hitting strategy thats been working wonders for my RTTS. Instead of moving the left stick around to match the location of the ball on pitches, i just leave it at the center and WAIT for the pitch i want down the center of the plate.. I dont try guess pitch location anymore because it throws me off more than it helps. I just rely purely on my own eye whether its going to be out of the strike zone or not. Once i trained my eye to see certain things, i started to salivate at the sight of a curveball that starts out high and ends up right dead center of the strikezone for a HR. I have my RTTS guy at 21 years old, batting .378 with 30 HRs at the start of August for the St. Louis Cardinals... I have my power and contact at 90 a piece and im just starting to invest in other abilities.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Ive tried a new hitting strategy thats been working wonders for my RTTS. Instead of moving the left stick around to match the location of the ball on pitches, i just leave it at the center and WAIT for the pitch i want down the center of the plate.. I dont try guess pitch location anymore because it throws me off more than it helps. I just rely purely on my own eye whether its going to be out of the strike zone or not. Once i trained my eye to see certain things, i started to salivate at the sight of a curveball that starts out high and ends up right dead center of the strikezone for a HR. I have my RTTS guy at 21 years old, batting .378 with 30 HRs at the start of August for the St. Louis Cardinals... I have my power and contact at 90 a piece and im just starting to invest in other abilities.

Very nice. :headbang

I am getting the hang of hitting too. I have only played about 20 innings, but my last game was much better. I played the Twins at Target Field (Sweeet looking field btw). I scored like 5 or 6 runs. Hit a HR with Konerko and Jones. Konerko actually went 3-4 with a HR, 2B, single.

I basically took my approach of always guessing LOW and FASTBALL, and then did the obvious. When I saw the pitch was not going to be low (because it didn't light up), i would slightly move the batting cursor up a little so it covers the top half of the zone. This allows me to get to a lot more high pitches, and barrel up the hanging stuff. I started crushing pitches after I did this.

RTTS is really starting to frustrate me. For no apparent reason, my guy seems to be regressing. It's become impossible to avoid the big innings and if I give up another double under the 1B/3B glove I'm going to flip s***.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
RTTS is really starting to frustrate me. For no apparent reason, my guy seems to be regressing. It's become impossible to avoid the big innings and if I give up another double under the 1B/3B glove I'm going to flip s***.

if you dont add points to certain abilities for over 30 days you will start to regress in that category.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
if you dont add points to certain abilities for over 30 days you will start to regress in that category.

I'm stabilized or increasing in all categories. I meant overall as a player, he's regressing despite his ratings improving.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)

I know what you mean, my second season has been way worse than the first. On a positive note, dumping all of my spare training hours into Power vs RHP is finally paying dividends.