GAME THREAD: 4/8, CLE v CHW, 7:10pm CSN+

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
No offense, but if you guys are going to b**** about the offense, give it a few days. It is the 3rd game of the season and at this point, offensive production tends to be lower anyway because the pitchers tend to have the advantage early in the major league season.

The issue is that this isn't a suprise to a lot of us . A large contingent of us saw this coming and our seeing our expectations played out before our eyes. This isn't pleasant to behold.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 02:12 AM)
No offense, but if you guys are going to b**** about the offense, give it a few days. It is the 3rd game of the season and at this point, offensive production tends to be lower anyway because the pitchers tend to have the advantage early in the major league season.

The lineup is weak on paper, struggled by most accounts in Spring Training, and aren't putting good swings on the ball at all. Someone like Rios, I'm actually encouraged with him as he's looking good at the plate. Teahen's swing is so awful, I can't see how he'll ever square the ball up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
BTW, I missed the top of the first, but since then, this ump has had a gigantic strike zone.

Ya, the 1st and 2nd inning is when the ump was really squeezing. Its opened up since than. Albeit my mlb.tv keeps s***ting out as I watch the game on my crappy hotel connection. Can't wait to be back home tomorrow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
The lineup is weak on paper, struggled by most accounts in Spring Training, and aren't putting good swings on the ball at all. Someone like Rios, I'm actually encouraged with him as he's looking good at the plate. Teahen's swing is so awful, I can't see how he'll ever square the ball up.

Teahan being our starting third basemen is one of the biggest laughers in the AL. But what are you gonna do? We have to suffer through it, I guess.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
The makeup of the lineup has everything to with how responsible Walker is. Ozzie has overseen the construction of a lineup where half of his guys either haven't hit in years, or don't hit for the first month of the season. Walker can tell them to tweak and adjust, but he can't tell them how to hit.

Cool, now I'll make a post on how I hate Kenny Williams and then you can blame it on Uncle Jerry.

QUOTE (icroca @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Cool, now I'll make a post on how I hate Kenny Williams and then you can blame it on Uncle Jerry.

You're not destined to last here. But I imagine you don't care about that anyways. You just want to be a troll.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
The issue is that this isn't a suprise to a lot of us . A large contingent of us saw this coming and our seeing our expectations played out before our eyes. This isn't pleasant to behold.

The lineup isn't even close to as bad as some of you say it is. It isn't one of the worst in baseball. It isn't one of the best either. The lineup is going to be heavily reliant on guys like Rios and Quentin reaching there potential. If they don't play to there potential and struggle and/or suck than the fact that we have Kotsay in our lineup will hurt us. But if they hit like they can, we don't have that bad of a lineup.

Konerko - Solid, close to league average at his position

Beckham - Well above leauge average

Ramirez - Above league average offensive (or at worse league average)

Teahen - A little below league average offensively

Pierre - Below league average

Kotsay/Jones - below league average

Rios - Above league average (at his norm)

Quentin - Above league average (based upon what the Sox expect him to do when healthy)

I don't see what is so terrible about that. We have a couple guys below league average but a few guys above it which evens things out. And if the Sox have a league average offense they'll be really really good (assuming the rotation stays healthy and the pen does decent).

QUOTE (icroca @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)

I'm not exploring this rabbit hole any further. If you can't see the glaring issues with this lineup then i can't help you.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:18 PM)
You're not destined to last here. But I imagine you don't care about that anyways. You just want to be a troll.

That sounded like a prophetic post if I've ever read one.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)

Teahen looked real good at the end of spring. Everyone was talking about how he was struggling early in the spring due to a shoulder injury and the fact that he was pressing to make an impression. I saw him late in spring and chatted with a scout at the game who said he was looking real good late in spring. Still, Teahen is what he is, a near league average 3B who is just a bit below league average.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
The lineup isn't even close to as bad as some of you say it is. It isn't one of the worst in baseball. It isn't one of the best either. The lineup is going to be heavily reliant on guys like Rios and Quentin reaching there potential. If they don't play to there potential and struggle and/or suck than the fact that we have Kotsay in our lineup will hurt us. But if they hit like they can, we don't have that bad of a lineup.

I wish i had your optimism, Chisoxfn. I'm not about to abandon all hope, but we have problems, and they're pretty obvious to the discerning eye.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Quentin - Above league average (based upon what the Sox expect him to do when healthy)

But if we based everything on that, then you'd have to say all these guys are above average offensively. Someone in this organization thinks all of these guys are good, or else they wouldn't be around, and that's more of the problem I have with it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
I'm not exploring this rabbit hole any further. If you can't see the glaring issues with this lineup then i can't help you.

Yeah, the lineup blows. So does the average high school lineup. Does that justify a terrible approach? At either level?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I wish i had your optimism, Chisoxfn. I'm not about to abandon all hope, but we have problems, and they're pretty obvious to the discerning eye.

I'm not saying it is all going to work out perfectly, but you guys are acting like we have the worse offense ever. We have what should be an elite pitching staff and if you combine an elite pitching staff with a league average offense we will be a playoff team. And if we are in that position, I think we will see Kenny tweak the roster. That might mean Berkman, it might mean Adrian Gonzalez, it might mean someone else (Manny??). Who knows.

But as of now, we have one of the better teams in the AL and a team that should contend for a title. And we have a GM who will ensure we make the necessary pickups when we can. I might not have done everything the way Kenny has, but it is a lot easier to find a bat to put in your order than it is to find a rotation like we have. And lets be honest, this offense will be heavily reliant on some of our young guys (Beckham/Rios/Quentin/Ramirez). And all of those guys have the potential to be pretty good major league players at there respected positions.

The thing with our lineup is that it depends on a lot "ifs". Honestly, if everyone were to reach their potential, this lineup would be a downright pain in the butt for opposing pitchers. The other side of that is though, you have so many variables and not enough constants. You don't really know who's going to show up on a given day, week or month. Other than Beckham, Konerko, and AJ, I have no idea what the lineup is going to give you.