GAME THREAD: 4/8, CLE v CHW, 7:10pm CSN+

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
You can make the correct decision and not have it pan out and you can make the wrong decision and have it work spectacularly.

When you're struggling to find hits and you're not allowing your best pure hitter to take swings because you apparently have little faith in one of the best base stealers in the game to swipe a bag late you're making the wrong decision.

But didn't we see the same type of situation numerous times with Pods...where, instead of stealing, we'd be forced to bunt him over?

I can't think of more than a few times after the first half of 2005 (when he was 100% and running every game) that he reached first, stole 2nd and THEN was bunted over to 3rd.

If we have to waste an out with Beckham, then what's the point of even having Juan Pierre on the team, if we can't run without 85% certainty that he'll reach 2nd base. Then it might make SOME sense to bunt, but still better to let Beckham hit, despite his failure with the bases loaded earlier in the game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Oz would have wanted Thome if he knew he'd sign with the Twins.

It's going to suck having to face him so many times this season. Compare our NEW DH option to the old one. Much worse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
I wonder if Oz would have wanted Thome if he knew he'd sign with the Twins.

It's going to suck having to face him so many times this season. Compare our NEW DH option to the old one. Much worse.

No. He probably knew. There were rumors flying around that the Twins had major interest.

Unfortunately, when a player really wants to come here, we don't welcome him because of our selfish manager, who really wants it to have it his way. If we didn't trade Brian Anderson last year, Thome would be on this team.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
No. He probably knew. There were rumors flying around that the Twins had major interest.

Unfortunately, when a player really wants to come here, we don't welcome him because of our selfish manager, who really wants it to have it his way. If we didn't trade Brian Anderson last year, Thome would be on this team.

I'll put $100 on our DH having better numbers than Thome. Now obviously Thome won't have as many at-bats, but take his numbers and multiply them out over the number of at-bats that our DH has better numbers. I guess you can just say its a hunch.

I think most of our fanbase was ready to turn the page with Thome and/or Dye.

However, knowing the replacements are Jones and Kotsay...there's the gist of the problem. It's not letting Thome go...or even the fact that he'll now hurt us as a "hated" Twin, but the fact that KW whiffed again this offseason and left a Grand Canyon-sized gaping abyss in the middle of our line-up.

Still, if we had a clutch hit with the bases loaded early in the game OR in the 9th, things obviously would look much more favorable than they do right now.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I'll put $100 on our DH having better numbers than Thome. Now obviously Thome won't have as many at-bats, but take his numbers and multiply them out over the number of at-bats that our DH has better numbers. I guess you can just say its a hunch.

I really doubt that Jones and Kotsay combine to hit anywhere near a .850 OPS. Especially if Kotsay has his way in this lineup.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
You can make the correct decision and not have it pan out and you can make the wrong decision and have it work spectacularly.

When you're struggling to find hits and you're not allowing your best pure hitter to take swings because you apparently have little faith in one of the best base stealers in the game to swipe a bag late you're making the wrong decision.

As I said before yesterday.. for all the talk Ozzie has said about stealing alot of bases and being more aggresive (basically the TB approach) only Pierre has really done anything when he gets on (though he hasn't been on much, not counting tonight) Jones I believe is the only guy who has a SB and Teahen has 1 CS and Ozzie looks like he is scared to run with him again.

I was stunned to see Becks bunting BTW. For a guy who never bunted in his life prior to last season, he's got good technique.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Ryan Howard isn't there. Neither is Albert Pujols. Would you like to talk about their games?

WOW, I must have pissed the portion of the off-season when the White Sox had the ability to improve their lineup by adding either Pujols or Howard.

Jones, Teahen, Omar and Juan just don't make for an exciting offseason of acquisitions.

Somebody could argue with you that keeping Dye and Thome would give us a better lineup in a year we figured to have good starting pitching and adequate relief anyway.

Pierre did get the hit in the ninth which was nice. I'm not bagging on Rios yet, but does he have just the one hit?

Edited by greg775