debunking assumptions

Princess Dye

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
But, Devil's Advocate, Dye had to play in that cavernous Oakland Coliseum with so much foul ground.

What's the park adjustment factor downward for offensive stats there?

Dye put up good numbers with the Braves his rookie year and also with the Royals when he was healthy. Just the fact that he was coming of a huge injury and was a "project" at the time we took him doesn't mean he was a bad hitter. Heck, you take any guy who's a better hitter than a defender in the 2nd half of his career, USCF can really make him look good.

He led baseball in homers from his position, but he also gave up untold runs with his lack of range and lazy throwing mechanics and "plus arm" that was merely average while we had him. Let's not forget, the best deal he can get now is for $3 million USD. There's a reason for that much bigger than just the second half of one season. Look at the back of his baseball card, Ozzie would say. Well, there's a lot more to it than just hitting homers. Ask the Mariners' GM.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dyeje01.shtml

OPS+ isn't the most perfect stat, but it is ballpark adjusted, and when he went from Oak to Chi he went from 105 to 118 and had his best year in his career OPS+ with the White Sox... Dye definitely excelled with the white sox offensively.

Jim Thome had one of the 5 best seasons of his career under Greg Walker. Joe Crede had his best (and only good offensive season) under Greg Walker. Juan Uribe put up an .833 OPS under Walker.

I'm not a supporter of Walker at all, but there has been success under him, and anyone denying that is wrong.

I'm not trying to argue/fight...just want someone to answer with their honest opinion.

Why did Uribe completely regress offensively after his first season with us?

Did he tune out those who tried to talk to him and get him to change his approach/swing? That doesn't sound like Uribe, it's more Nick Swisher-esque.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
I'm not trying to argue/fight...just want someone to answer with their honest opinion.

Why did Uribe completely regress offensively after his first season with us?

Did he tune out those who tried to talk to him and get him to change his approach/swing? That doesn't sound like Uribe, it's more Nick Swisher-esque.

it could be he was in a HR friendly park and he was overswinging and couldn't get it out of his head, then when he went to a bigger park that's harder to hit HRs in he took a simpler approach

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
it could be he was in a HR friendly park and he was overswinging and couldn't get it out of his head, then when he went to a bigger park that's harder to hit HRs in he took a simpler approach

Given that Swisher is a mental midget, this is definitely a possibility.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Except I think he was answering my ? about Uribe...

But I guess it's applicable to Swisher as well...theoretically.

yes, I was giving my theory on the Uribe situation, as far as Swisher goes, I think the move to lead-off and then Ozzie completely turning on him combined with his attitude doomed him in Chicago

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
Yes, 100%, absolutely.....he and Jose Valentin have been two of the most underrated and underappreciated White Sox players in my lifetime.

While I agree with the statement I don't think Juan is what this team needs right now...like at all

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Everyone also seemed to sort of think we'd be OK because of our great starting staff. Read the prediction thread for the season. Lots of high win totals in there.

Deep down most figured we'd be a reasonably good team with any offense at all.

i wasn't one of them i said all offseason to trade either danks or floyd in a package for AGON . all i heard was trade our strength of one of the best starting staffs . my reply was and still is how do they rate a as a great starting staff they haven't accomplished anything . come on out there where are you now with our great yeah most of you said great starting pitching other then danks there at best avg . Edited by 1977 sox fan