Anyone ever take a job in another state?

BigSqwert

I'm in the interview process for a position out of state (Portland, OR) and I'm starting to get a little nervous that I might get an offer. There's so many things that I'd need to take care of since we own a house.

Has anyone been through this before?

What if I can't sell my house before I leave? Do I rent it for the time being? Do I drop the price significantly just to sell it? What if the sale price doesn't cover what I still owe? What the heck is a short sale? How do I find a place to live in the other city without flying back and forth several times and dishing out a boatload of $$ (Assuming I just get an apartment for the 1st year or 2). Anyone with experience moving your stuff across the country? What's the best way to handle that?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portland? I'm a little jealous.

I've moved states a few times, but not since I've owned property. Would this company include things like housing assistance and moving assistance in the offer? That would be key, for me, to at least know if that is on the table for discussion.

With the housing market as it is, you may have to take a decent hit on your place. And yes, I'd rent at first, until you get settled in and are sure you like the new job.

I've done it twice in the past few years, but never had to sell a house.

Moving: I've done it 1 time by renting a budget truck, packing and unpacking myself. It saved a lot of money, but there was slightly more "Stuff damage". I didn't care about it because it was all stuff I was stealing from parents. I also didn't own a car at the time, so I didn't have to add in the car-hauler.

The other time, I hired professional movers. Packing and loading was a lot faster. Shipping actually took a couple days longer while waiting on them. However, the drive was much more pleasant. It cost probably 2x as much though.

Both times I've wound up renting a place sight-unseen thanks to the internets. The first time found an adequate place with a good location, but I probably would have looked elsewhere had I had the chance to stop and search for places early. Second time, found a much nicer place. If you go there for an interview and you're looking to rent...ask about what resources are available. Look for housing sale/renting magazines on the streets, ask if there's a local rental agency that you could deal with. I'm not sure I'd 100% recommend renting sight-unseen, but if you're looking for a month-to-month plan while shopping for a house, even if you find a poor place, you'd only be there a few months.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Portland? I'm a little jealous.

I've moved states a few times, but not since I've owned property. Would this company include things like housing assistance and moving assistance in the offer? That would be key, for me, to at least know if that is on the table for discussion.

With the housing market as it is, you may have to take a decent hit on your place. And yes, I'd rent at first, until you get settled in and are sure you like the new job.

We discussed that early on and they will not offer relocation assistance. In this job market I doubt any place would. I decided to continue the interview process since the salary would be a material increase over what I'm currently making. Plus I love Portland and this would be a pretty kick ass company to work for (Probably just gave it away).

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I've done it twice in the past few years, but never had to sell a house.

Moving: I've done it 1 time by renting a budget truck, packing and unpacking myself. It saved a lot of money, but there was slightly more "Stuff damage". I didn't care about it because it was all stuff I was stealing from parents. I also didn't own a car at the time, so I didn't have to add in the car-hauler.

The other time, I hired professional movers. Packing and loading was a lot faster. Shipping actually took a couple days longer while waiting on them. However, the drive was much more pleasant. It cost probably 2x as much though.

Both times I've wound up renting a place sight-unseen thanks to the internets. The first time found an adequate place with a good location, but I probably would have looked elsewhere had I had the chance to stop and search for places early. Second time, found a much nicer place. If you go there for an interview and you're looking to rent...ask about what resources are available. Look for housing sale/renting magazines on the streets, ask if there's a local rental agency that you could deal with. I'm not sure I'd 100% recommend renting sight-unseen, but if you're looking for a month-to-month plan while shopping for a house, even if you find a poor place, you'd only be there a few months.

I'd probably stick with the pros when moving. The wife and I have accumulated some pretty nice furnishings over the years and I'd hate to wind up damaging any of it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
I'd probably stick with the pros when moving. The wife and I have accumulated some pretty nice furnishings over the years and I'd hate to wind up damaging any of it.

My next time moving, I'm leaning towards just moving myself again...because I'm hoping that the next move is to a tenure-track or long-term position where purchasing a house is possible, and as such I'm hoping I can discard most of the furniture I've been lugging around prior to that move.

Yep, just did it this summer. I did have a house to sell--it was a little bit of a nightmare but not a huge issue. Since the market is rough I went with a realtor who really focused on helping me get curb appeal and who was really good at staging. The house had an offer less than a week after she put up the MLS--it was really the banks that dragged things out for nearly three months.

My new job offered minimal relocation costs BUT since they are a giant employer they have contracts with different moving companies for discounted rates. So, two moving companies work a lot with my employer so I essentially got half off my moving because of that connection. So that may be something to look into.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
Yep, just did it this summer. I did have a house to sell--it was a little bit of a nightmare but not a huge issue. Since the market is rough I went with a realtor who really focused on helping me get curb appeal and who was really good at staging. The house had an offer less than a week after she put up the MLS--it was really the banks that dragged things out for nearly three months.

My new job offered minimal relocation costs BUT since they are a giant employer they have contracts with different moving companies for discounted rates. So, two moving companies work a lot with my employer so I essentially got half off my moving because of that connection. So that may be something to look into.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

If you find a good job in another state which is a desirable place to live, then I say go for it and don't let the house stuff hold you back. You'll figure out the best course of action for that later and will only be hopefully a minor inconvenience in a new chapter of your life. I almost talked myself out of moving because of reasons you listed above and others, but am really glad I didn't. It's pretty cool to settle in a different part of the country and meet new people and experience different things. Portland is a great city in my opinion, I've been there for business. It reminds me of Austin, where I live now. Portland is so strikingly green. Here are some pics I took:

sta70311.jpg

sta70315.jpg

sta70302.jpg

Prepare to pay your lifesavings for an out of state move, half kidding.

I worked the summer before college as a mover (2 years ago) and long distance (anything farther than 50 miles from location to location) was ridiculously expensive. And pack your own stuff, dont hire the company to do that, they charge wayyyy to much and you will probably put more care into it anyways (the only thing professionals do better is they know how to stuff boxes better, but its not hard at all to figure out).

I do recommend buying boxes from uhaul (you can return the unused boxes) as they are sturdy, and make sure that you pack them appropriately, if you have books, put them in the book moving box, not a larger one because the movers will hate you for it (seriously, ever try lifting a 4ft by 4ft box of books? There goes your back, because you know they wont want it in the living, room, nooo it has to be on the top floor in some study).

If you do hire a company, make sure you read reviews of them if possible, and if you use more of a local company like Two Men and a Truck and not some company like Atlas, make sure you promise a tip for a job well done. I guarantee that they move faster and take better care of your stuff knowing a tip is on the line (I was making $9/ hr after a raise, and for that type of work I thought I was severely underpaid, so tips were blessings). One idea is to have a stack of bills (about $50 for each mover) and have them in $5 bills, then each time they mess up or are sluggish you pull one away, and you tell them this before they start, I bet you they go faster and are more careful throughout the move. Companies like Atlas pay more like $16/hr so Im not sure how much tips matter to those guys.

Also, keep an eye on the movers, make sure you dont hear any large crashes or anything like that, but for the most part leave them alone and stay out of their way. The worst thing ever as a mover was when carrying a large piece of expensive furniture and some lady is trying to help by directing us but instead we are just trying to get around her and she makes it way more difficult than need be and puts more stress on everyone. Movers are quite good at what they do, hell Ive seen guys single handidly pick up a large dresser and carry it on their backs, some guys are beasts and after a week on the job they basically know how to pack anything.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Portland is a great city in my opinion, I've been there for business. It reminds me of Austin, where I live now. Portland is so strikingly green.

I know you are referring to the color, but I seem to remember seeing a few weeks ago that Portland is also a very pro-ecofriendly ("green") city as well. Maybe not the city itself, but the residents.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
I know you are referring to the color, but I seem to remember seeing a few weeks ago that Portland is also a very pro-ecofriendly ("green") city as well. Maybe not the city itself, but the residents.

One of the more progressive cities in the country. Extremely bike-friendly, large vegetarian/vegan population, etc. They're currently implementing the infrastructure for electric car charging. They have a race with San Francisco to be the 1st electric car friendly city in the country.

So yeah, it's got my name written all over it.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
We discussed that early on and they will not offer relocation assistance. In this job market I doubt any place would. I decided to continue the interview process since the salary would be a material increase over what I'm currently making. Plus I love Portland and this would be a pretty kick ass company to work for (Probably just gave it away).

Mittelos Bioscience?

Dont drink the orange juice.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Doesn't all that stuff even out at the end somehow? They just raise a different tax.

Florida's primary revenue generator is tourism.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Never heard of them to be honest.

It's the "company" that recruited Juliet and brought her to the island on LOST.