All-Star Break Standings Importance

RME JICO

I was actually glad to see the Sox make it into first before the All-Star break today after reading this the other day from SI.com:

Teams with an outright division lead of any length at the All-Star break go to the playoffs 73 percent of the time (61 of 83).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ.../three.strikes/

Looking back over the last 5 years in the AL, the Division Leaders at the break made the playoffs 12 out of 15 times (Detroit in 09 and 07, and Boston in 06 all missed out). That is 80% of the time, and Detroit actually played in the 1-game playoff and lost in 2009. The Sox had Division leads in 2008 and 2005 at the break.

Also, the Sox are #1 in the MLB in 1-run games at 17-9 and in Day games at 20-9.

Finally, we have a decent schedule after the break with only 4 series vs good non-Divisional teams (NYY, BOS x2, LAA).

Do the Twins/Tigs have a tougher Post-ASB schedule than we do? I know we have to play Boston twice but I'm not really worried about them, we're only a game and a half behind them right now... which is crazy when you put it into perspective

Also, we don't have to face Cliff Lee ONCE for the rest of the year, sans a Post Season meeting :D

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Do the Twins/Tigs have a tougher Post-ASB schedule than we do? I know we have to play Boston twice but I'm not really worried about them, we're only a game and a half behind them right now... which is crazy when you put it into perspective

Also, we don't have to face Cliff Lee ONCE for the rest of the year, sans a Post Season meeting :D

Well Detroit's is brutal, they still have Texas (5), Tampa Bay (7), Boston (3), LAA (3), and NY (4). That is 22 games out of the Division vs winning teams all in the hunt.

Minnesota's is more like ours, which is why it is nice that we have a few games on them. They only have Tampa Bay (4), LAA (3), and Texas (7). 14 games.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)

Sox have a big test right after the break with 10 road games against the Twins, Mariners and A's. Though the Mariners and A's seem on the surface to be weak , west coast games have not been kind in recent years.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Sox have a big test right after the break with 10 road games against the Twins, Mariners and A's. Though the Mariners and A's seem on the surface to be weak , west coast games have not been kind in recent years.

I'll be at one of those Mariners games. Lemme tell you I can hardly wait. I haven't seen my Sox in person since 2007.

Hey, I was just thinking....the last time I moved (from Wisconsin to Utah) was July 2005. July 2010 moved from Utah to Washington. I think we're winning another World Series! :gosox1:

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Well Detroit's is brutal, they still have Texas (5), Tampa Bay (7), Boston (3), LAA (3), and NY (4). That is 22 games out of the Division vs winning teams all in the hunt.

Minnesota's is more like ours, which is why it is nice that we have a few games on them. They only have Tampa Bay (4), LAA (3), and Texas (7). 14 games.

Dont' the Sox have lots remaining with both teams?

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 07:35 PM)

Add Toronto into the mix and it's even more stunning. By my count (and anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sox play a total of 13 games in the second half against "good" teams from outside our division: Yankees (3); Angels (3); Boston (7)

The Twins play 18: Toronto (4); Texas (7); Tampa Bay (4); Angels (3)

The Tigers play 29: Texas (5); Tampa Bay (7); Toronto (7); Boston (3); Yankees (4); Angels (3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the division games remaining...

Sox vs Twins (13 )

Sox vs Detroit (10)

Twins vs Detroit (6)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
Inside the division games remaining...

Sox vs Twins (13 )

Sox vs Detroit (10)

Twins vs Detroit (6)

So at least to my eyes...the Sox basically get to think that they control their own destiny. A solid win over both of those teams and they're taking this division. If the Sox falter, whichever team beats us up harder has a real advantage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
So at least to my eyes...the Sox basically get to think that they control their own destiny. A solid win over both of those teams and they're taking this division. If the Sox falter, whichever team beats us up harder has a real advantage.

Twins have the easiest schedule of the three,with only 37 vs teams over .500, Sox are next with 40 and Tigers have 43.

Cliff Lee going to Texas is nice,as possibly the Twins and tigers could face him 4 times total.

Tigers are brutal on the road,and have a lot of tough road series left.

Gonna be a 3 way dogfight to the end, I suspect.

Healthiest team wins.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Gonna be a 3 way dogfight to the end, I suspect.

Healthiest team wins.

He have the best pitching staff of the 3 so I'll say we win out. Sure Peavy going down hurts but our top 4 starters beat out theirs. And our bullpen is lights out.