George Steinbrenner died

whitem0nkey

After reading Verducci's book about the Yankees, I got a very negative view of Steinbrenner. He treated his employees like s***. One year, he failed to give his scouts rings. I'm sorry, but the guy was a grade A douchebag. It sucks that he died, but I'm not going to all of the sudden start talking about how great a person he was.

Steinbrenner was a titan of the game, he was also a son of a b****. I hope that no one forgets that amidst the post-mortem glorification. There's something to be said about what his spending methods have done to the integrity of the game but I don't really want to make a big deal out of that.

Edited by Thunderbolt

SS

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
After reading Verducci's book about the Yankees, I got a very negative view of Steinbrenner. He treated his employees like s***. One year, he failed to give his scouts rings. I'm sorry, but the guy was a grade A douchebag. It sucks that he died, but I'm not going to all of the sudden start talking about how great a person he was.

I worked for him in the late 80's and that wasn't my experience with him. He seemed to treat both groups I worked with pretty well. I know his reputation and I've read the book but that wasn't my experience with him. So he wasn't all bad.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Steinbrenner was a titan of the game, he was also a son of a b****. I hope that no one forgets that amidst the post-mortem glorification. There's something to be said about what his spending methods have done to the integrity of the game but I don't really want to make a big deal out of that.

There's no reason to make a big deal aabout it because he did not effect "the integrity of the game". He followed the rules that were agreed upon. Don't get me wrong I think there should be a cap and a floor to salaries to make the game more competitive and even for all teams. However, these weren't the current rules and he followed the rules that were in place.

Two things I didn't know know about the Stein.

-He actually tried and failed to buy his hometown Cleveland Indians the year before he bought the Yankees

-He owned a 7% share of the Bulls, which he sold to Reisndorf and his group when they bought the Bulls in the 80s right before Michael Jordan was drafted.