Nothing Brewing?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
If they do NOTHING it will be a major mistake that will cost one of the two their jobs...

doubtful. Reinsdorf wont fire either of them unless something insane happens and he is forced to

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I actually want them to do nothing.

I don't want to overpay for garbage, do you?

This team, as constructed right now, as managed by Ozzie Guilen can't win this division. Trades, DFA's, Call-Ups....anything

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
I actually want them to do nothing.

I don't want to overpay for garbage, do you?

It sounds like we are getting told Beckham or Quentin for anything of value. If that is the case, I want us to walk away as well. Really I don't want to deal Hudson either, unless we are getting a servicable starter back.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
Are you willing to trade the farm for them?

I'm not.

I wouldn't want to deal Beckham but I wouldn't be adverse to dealing Q for the right deal. Hell if they could get Fielder and resign him I would consider even Beckham for him....not likely I know but. Other than those 2 the rest can be used to upgrade the team as needed...

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
I wouldn't want to deal Beckham but I wouldn't be adverse to dealing Q for the right deal. Hell if they could get Fielder and resign him I would consider even Beckham for him....not likely I know but. Other than those 2 the rest can be used to upgrade the team as needed...

Good luck with trying to re-sign Fielder.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
If they do NOTHING it will be a major mistake that will cost one of the two their jobs...

So give up Viciedo, Hudson or Flowers to get 2 months of Dunn only to quickly lose to an absolutely ridiculously stacked Yankees squad, an extremely talented Rays team, or the powerhouse they've got in Arlington? I'm a pretty avid Sox fan but I would have no problem placing the Sox chances of winning the AL pennant 4th behind those other 3 teams. Stand pat and win the division if you can for a few extra dollars on next year's payroll. No one should get canned for being a realist.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
Stand pat and win the division if you can for a few extra dollars on next year's payroll. No one should get canned for being a realist.

If we lose this division or win by a game or two, it's because our manager and general manager came into the season with a glaring weakness that wasn't adressed. Someone needs to take the fall for that. I'd prefer us all to have a lot higher expectations for this team then the first round of the playoffs. We had all the pieces coming into the offseason to take this division by the throat and we didn't take it.

From the sounds of it, Teahen coming back will be the addition. He's just as likely to add something to the sox offense as a LaRoche type [i.e. a lesser guy than a Dunn/ Fielder type who most would see as an upgrade to Kotsay] He should see time in RF, and 3b to give guys days off. For what other teams are asking for impact bats like Fielder and Dunn, I'd hold pat as well. As much as I don't trust Kotsay to turn it around, he's as likely to get hot and hit better for a 2 month period than a trade could. The sox farm system is too thin to gamble with, and do long term damage to it.

The sox winning the Central and doing something in the playoffs will still hinge on these keys, regardless of what they do with DH/ Kotsay: SP, and the big bats--Pk, Quentin, Beckham, Rios, AJ. If most of those guys hit and the SP does it's job, the sox should be fine. If they don't, adding even Dunn or Fielder wouldn't be much help.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
If we lose this division or win by a game or two, it's because our manager and general manager came into the season with a glaring weakness that wasn't adressed. Someone needs to take the fall for that. I'd prefer us all to have a lot higher expectations for this team then the first round of the playoffs. We had all the pieces coming into the offseason to take this division by the throat and we didn't take it.

If we win the division by a # of games you deem "too few" you want one of Ozzie/KW to get axed for that? Oh lord.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:30 AM)

Well then it would be Ozzie. It certainly seems KW's not falling on the sword, basically saying he wanted to add a DH in the offseason.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox27.article

I don't buy anyone being fired. The three key players [Oz, KW, and Jerry] have a good enough understanding that one decision--not having a DH--isn't going to overshadow all the good moves made that have put the sox into 1st place--getting Vizquel and Jones, picking up Pierre, signing Freddy, the Rios pick up, Putz signing, sticking with Santos, etc.

You can't just count the one move of not filling DH and see how that might cost a game or two this year without counting all the other positive moves that added to wins.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)

It'll be because we lost Jake Peavy and have a horrible manager.