White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
And they apparently are not willing to do that, considering the Sox wanted the Dodgers to cover most of his remaining salary. If Manny clears waivers, and the Sox do inquire, the Dodgers will have to pick up some of the tab.

Don't count out the NL. There are a number of teams that were either actively looking for a bat or that could benefit from one now.

The Giants are at the top of that list.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
And since that trade they've gone what, 1-4 or something?

Making an improvement trade and spending money and talent to do so didn't make much sense then, so why not spend a little more money a few days later.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
Making an improvement trade and spending money and talent to do so didn't make much sense then, so why not spend a little more money a few days later.

the key is whether "Bad Manny" really only wants to play for the White Sox, then Det or Min risk having an unhappy Manny and his "injury" lingering for 7m

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)

A little more money? Manny is a pretty big investment for a team that has been playing terrible baseball for the last 2 weeks and has a ton of holes to fill.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
the key is whether "Bad Manny" really only wants to play for the White Sox, then Det or Min risk having an unhappy Manny and his "injury" lingering for 7m

It's worth noting...Manny would be an FA at the end of this season again...so if he wanted one more payday, those 1.5 months might do it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
A little more money? Manny is a pretty big investment for a team that has been playing terrible baseball for the last 2 weeks and has a ton of holes to fill.

I wouldn't be shocked if there was some insurance policy on any of the guys that have hit the DL for them, especially Ordonez, that might cover a lot of the costs.

Even without that...the Tigers have been acting like a team that isn't financially constrained, between their offseason salaries, constantly playing Ordonez, adding salary now...and they've got something above $50 million coming off the books next offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
It's worth noting...Manny would be an FA at the end of this season again...so if he wanted one more payday, those 1.5 months might do it.

true, but I've stopped trying to figure out what Manny thinks a long time ago, and why wouldn't he be doing it with the Dodgers?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
true, but I've stopped trying to figure out what Manny thinks a long time ago, and why wouldn't he be doing it with the Dodgers?

Because the fanbase stopped worshipping him the second he was suspended last year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Because the fanbase stopped worshipping him the second he was suspended last year?

maybe, again, wouldn't be shocked by anything Manny does, but I just think it's a huge risk to claim him because the Dodgers will walk away the second the claim is made

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
maybe, again, wouldn't be shocked by anything Manny does, but I just think it's a huge risk to claim him because the Dodgers will walk away the second the claim is made

I think it kinda depends on how his contract is structured how big that risk is. Specifically how the deferred money is dealt with...if some of it has already been escrowed or whether it's still to be paid out.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
No one going to claim Manny for fear that they Dodgers will simply say take him and that team will have to eat the money.

The current economy is playing a major factor into teams blocking players for fear of being handed big money contracts.

If Manny is only due about $6 million for the last couple months and the Dodgers have already put away most of the deferred money, then I could totally see the Giants claiming him. They were trying everything they could to get a bat without having to give up Baumgartner and Sanchez, and that would be exactly what they'd have the chance to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
If Manny is only due about $6 million for the last couple months and the Dodgers have already put away most of the deferred money, then I could totally see the Giants claiming him. They were trying everything they could to get a bat without having to give up Baumgartner and Sanchez, and that would be exactly what they'd have the chance to do.

What's the point if Manny won't play there.