White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
August 30th is the deadline.

Why can't people f***ing understand this?

We needed pitching before at bat when Peavy went donw.

Going through waivers while your team is in first place is going to be hard as hell. Manny Ramirez might be the only possibility since he has so much money left on his deal. If we have to send any players back in a deal, that'd make it even harder since they would also have to clear waivers.

May not mean anything but...

ESPN's Buster Olney tweets that the Dodgers took on about $3MM with all their deadline moves.

With the financial issues they've got, maybe it will cause them to re-think the Manny situation in mid-late August...

Especially if they take a step back in the standings.

Worth keeping an eye on possibly.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
May not mean anything but...

ESPN's Buster Olney tweets that the Dodgers took on about $3MM with all their deadline moves.

With the financial issues they've got, maybe it will cause them to re-think the Manny situation in mid-late August...

Especially if they take a step back in the standings.

Worth keeping an eye on possibly.

Lost 5 straight.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I'd bet on it. They don't do their own research for the most part they are just an RSS feed.

Plus Tim Dierkes has some history with Rosenthal...I think Tim interned or something for him.

The Dodgers are falling fast though...they are 6.5 out of the WC behind 3 teams...and they are indeed bleeding money. They are paying deferred money to Andruw Jones still...ugh...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Plus Tim Dierkes has some history with Rosenthal...I think Tim interned or something for him.

The Dodgers are falling fast though...they are 6.5 out of the WC behind 3 teams...and they are indeed bleeding money. They are paying deferred money to Andruw Jones still...ugh...

They have a 4% shot of making the playoffs.

I really didn't see the point of them buying at the deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Selling a few more tickets?

Unless they can push themselves back up into a race with the Giants and Padres, I don't see how the guys they've picked up will do that. Being 5 games out isn't going to create a walkup crowd; being 1 game out would. Ted Lilly isn't going to sell tickets. They're down about 2000/game compared to last year, but last year they were in first place the whole year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Unless they can push themselves back up into a race with the Giants and Padres, I don't see how the guys they've picked up will do that. Being 5 games out isn't going to create a walkup crowd; being 1 game out would. Ted Lilly isn't going to sell tickets. They're down about 2000/game compared to last year, but last year they were in first place the whole year.

How about not creating no-shows by waving the white flag?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
How about not creating no-shows by waving the white flag?

I really doubt that would make a big difference downwards, since so many sales are going to have been locked in by season ticket purchases, especially coming off of a couple of playoff years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I really doubt that would make a big difference downwards, since so many sales are going to have been locked in by season ticket purchases, especially coming off of a couple of playoff years.

From the sounds of the fairweatheredness of the fans out there, it could make a big difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
From the sounds of the fairweatheredness of the fans out there, it could make a big difference.

Enough to pay for an additional $3 million hole? I'm not sure I buy that.

Maybe Frank is just figuring "I can always say I thought it would increase revenue if we got back into the race closer" and the court will buy it, and if it doesn't work, that's $3 million less she can grab.

OK, TFIW, this is from B & B and their sources, Manny isn't hurt, Dodgers sent him home because he was being "Bad Manny" and White Sox have sent "unofficial feelers" out to him and he said the White Sox are the only team he would play for at this point...

Again, who knows, but it's new.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
OK, TFIW, this is from B & B and their sources, Manny isn't hurt, Dodgers sent him home because he was being "Bad Manny" and White Sox have sent "unofficial feelers" out to him and he said the White Sox are the only team he would play for at this point...

Again, who knows, but it's new.

WTF? Really? This is something new. Almost seems false.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
WTF? Really? This is something new. Almost seems false.

yeah, sounds weird to me too, but it's what is being reported. Also, they said they do not and likely would not claim him on waivers and be stuck with 100% of his contract, they would let him pass through and work something out with Dodgers

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Yep Manny only wants to come to the White Sox and if he falls through NL waivers- the Sox can pretty much claim him for nothing.

And they apparently are not willing to do that, considering the Sox wanted the Dodgers to cover most of his remaining salary. If Manny clears waivers, and the Sox do inquire, the Dodgers will have to pick up some of the tab.