White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Anyone buying what Rosenthal is saying about Rizzo has not talked about a Dunn deal is "days"?? I really don't.

I don't, because even if he was 99% against trading him, why wouldn't you take calls about it

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Anyone buying what Rosenthal is saying about Rizzo has not talked about a Dunn deal is "days"?? I really don't.

He said there hasn't been a counteroffer. Which is sorta consistent with the fact that the price hasn't dropped.

I seriously hope that Kenny doesn't claim Manny off of waivers next week. Even if they don't have to eat his deferred salary, the remainder of his contract is still a lot for a guy who isn't even healthy right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
But that is money in the contract that simply hasn't been paid yet, it doesn't matter when he earned it. The Sox would take over everything on the contract from that point forwards, even if it's deferred from previous time.

Not sure how it works as a pure baseball matter, but legally, it matters a lot.

Rogers on MLB network said Sox are also looking at relievers, mentioned Dotel. Also said Chairman Reinsdorf is in the mix with Williams and Hahn. I'm guessing the Chairman is involved purely to make a decision on Ramirz's money if one has to be made.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
The money in Manram's contract isn't tied to performance, I'm certain of that. You claim him, that's the last $ the Dodgers pay him and everything else on there is taken by you, unless they pull him back.

I don't agree with you.

The Dodgers traded for Manny when he was still under contract from the Red Sox. The Red Sox contract is paying him deferred money until 2026.

Are you telling me when they traded him to the Dodgers, all those deferred payments became the liability of the Dodgers? No chance.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal #WhiteSox believe #Nats are using them to drive interest in Dunn. Nats had asked for Beckham. No discussions, to repeat, in days. #MLB

1 minute ago

35 min left STOP fing around Mike.

If the rumor about Rizzo reneging on Kenny is true, his days as a GM are numbered.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
He said there hasn't been a counteroffer. Which is sorta consistent with the fact that the price hasn't dropped.

Ken_Rosenthal

#WhiteSox believe #Nats are using them to drive interest in Dunn. Nats had asked for Beckham. No discussions, to repeat, in days. #MLB

He said "No discussions"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I don't agree with you.

The Dodgers traded for Manny when he was still under contract from the Red Sox. The Red Sox contract is paying him deferred money until 2026.

Are you telling me when they traded him to the Dodgers, all those deferred payments became the liability of the Dodgers? No chance.

That's different, that's a trade...the exact distribution of the dollars there is going to be specified by the conditions of the trade. Same with the ARod/Rangers deferred money. Claiming someone on waivers is going to be fundamentally different from a trade.

In that case, the Red Sox were agreeing to keep some of the money on their books.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal

#WhiteSox believe #Nats are using them to drive interest in Dunn. Nats had asked for Beckham. No discussions, to repeat, in days. #MLB

He said "No discussions"

Oops

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal

Exec on Dunn: "He's not going anywhere. Bank on it." #Nationals #WhiteSox #Rays #Tigers #MLB

UGH.....

I'd take a waiver claim on manny + Jackson, assuming we can afford the money on manny's deal, i don't really want to give up on jackson since Coop says he has always liked him

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Rays after Scott. We better do something with the Yanks making these moves and now adding wood. Everyone is getting better we need a bat. Come on Kenny!!!

i dont see how this is relevant to what the Sox are doing. they added a very injury prone reliever, who cares?

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
i don't really want to give up on jackson since Coop says he has always liked him

Not to mention that we'd be relying on Harrell as our #5 in a tight division race. Moving Jackson at this point would be a mistake, IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
That's different, that's a trade...the exact distribution of the dollars there is going to be specified by the conditions of the trade. Same with the ARod/Rangers deferred money. Claiming someone on waivers is going to be fundamentally different from a trade.

In that case, the Red Sox were agreeing to keep some of the money on their books.

Balta, a claim on waivers is a trade. You still agree to conditions, just as in a trade. The only difference is that if you claim a player on waivers, you would assume the remaining money left on that contract. It does not stand to reason, however, that you would assume money owed from previous years of employment with another team. That's a huge leap you're making.

If indeed you are correct, that the claim would expose the White Sox to $26.5 (of the total $45 million) million in liability from the contract Manny signed with the Dodgers in 09'.

And again, if that is the case, then no one will claim him on waivers, and so it's simply a moot point.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Not to mention that we'd be relying on Harrell as our #5 in a tight division race. Moving Jackson at this point would be a mistake, IMO.

Torres would be the 5 if we dealt Jackson.

Harrell was only called up because Torres pitched the night before.