White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Scott is NOT a rental player. He's still under team control for 2 more years via arbitration.

per Cot's contracts:

Luke Scott of

1 year/$4.05M (2010)

* 1 year/$4.05M (2010)

o re-signed by Baltimore 1/19/10 (avoided arbitration)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
If they do, it's like a $10+ million 2 month rental.

I am not sure about that. I am confused.

Would all the deferred money be the responsibility of the White Sox? Or would it be divided pro-rata amongst the teams?

Maybe Rosenthal is right...if it is pro rata, it would seem Manny would be owed about $6-7 million, 4-5 million of which would be deferred and $1-2 million paid out this season...

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
per Cot's contracts:

Yeah, a 1 year contract avoiding arbitration, like any other player with 3-5 years of service. Take a look at his service time, I bet it's under 4 isn't it? That means after this year he'll be up over 4, meaning 2 more years of ARB. Have to get to 6 to be a free agent.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
I am not sure about that. I am confused.

Would all the deferred money be the responsibility of the White Sox? Or would it be divided pro-rata amongst the teams?

Maybe Rosenthal is right...if it is pro rata, it would seem Manny would be owed about $6-7 million, 4-5 million of which would be deferred and $1-2 million paid out this season...

If the Sox picked up Manny on waivers, I think the Sox assume every liability on that contract from that point forwards. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure I'm not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
If the Sox picked up Manny on waivers, I think the Sox assume every liability on that contract from that point forwards. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure I'm not.

forward yes, but I don't think they wouldn't assume the retroactive deferred money

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
question is would Minny do it if they're still in 2nd to block?

Ha would Minny actually do that? Manny is like the exact opposite of the type of player the Twins like.

But goodness... Put his bat with Mauer and Morneau's and holy hell. That would suck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)

No, they absolutely would. But I don't know if the deferred compensation is attributed or tied to actual performance by Manny or not for the purposes of a trade.

Because if it is not, the waiver claim would actually be like assuming $16.5 million, not $10 million.

That doesn't seem right.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
forward yes, but I don't think they wouldn't assume the retroactive deferred money

But that is money in the contract that simply hasn't been paid yet, it doesn't matter when he earned it. The Sox would take over everything on the contract from that point forwards, even if it's deferred from previous time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
No, they absolutely would. But I don't know if the deferred compensation is attributed or tied to actual performance by Manny or not for the purposes of a trade.

Because if it is not, the waiver claim would actually be like assuming $16.5 million, not $10 million.

That doesn't seem right.

The money in Manram's contract isn't tied to performance, I'm certain of that. You claim him, that's the last $ the Dodgers pay him and everything else on there is taken by you, unless they pull him back.