O. Guillen loves him some Kotsay, so removal is out of the equation

macsandz

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
Anyone who bothered to look at those kinds of stats, coupled with Swish’s statistical trends could tell you that 2008 was a fluke. Trying to write him off because he K’d and popped out, is the same kind of shortsighted logic that says that Thome clogs the bases. The fact is that Swish walked and hit for power from both sides of the plate. Thus, striking out comes with the territory. It’s just a damn shame that Ozzie didn’t take to him, like he’s taken to Mark Kotsay.

Ozzie was on Swishers side early in the season. Everyone soon learned that he was a complete jacka** and no one on the team could stand him. Regardless of the stats, although his bad year made it worse, he had to go.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
Ozzie was on Swishers side early in the season. Everyone soon learned that he was a complete jacka** and no one on the team could stand him. Regardless of the stats, although his bad year made it worse, he had to go.

He plays for the f***ing Yankees right now and everyone loves him. Thats f***ing bulls***. That team is the most uptight organization in baseball and he's fine there.

The only move I've ever thought KW made horribly (dumping him, not trading for him.)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
He plays for the f***ing Yankees right now and everyone loves him. Thats f***ing bulls***. That team is the most uptight organization in baseball and he's fine there.

The only move I've ever thought KW made horribly (dumping him, not trading for him.)

It's really not bull****. The team as a whole didn't like him and he rubbed a LOT of players the wrong way -- veterans in particular -- and you could see tiny red flags during spring training that year. That's why he isn't here anymore. Ultimately, if you're getting under the skin of your teammates' and you aren't producing, you're probably no longer wanted.

It's a perfect illustration that you simply cannot create good chemistry. It has to just happen. One of the reasons Swisher was acquired in the first place is because they thought he'd help keep things loose in the clubhouse (that, and they figured his offensive numbers would improve in this park). It didn't work out that way.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Swisher high-fiving a life-sized poster of himself in the dugout gives one a pretty good idea of the type of teammate he is.

The kind with a sense of humor? I love baseball more than anything, but it's a game. It should be fun, and Swish was a fun player, even while underperforming (and by underperforming, I mean still being better than the Old Man and the 4A guy).

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
Swisher high-fiving a life-sized poster of himself in the dugout gives one a pretty good idea of the type of teammate he is. Hopefully he learned something in Chicago and acts like less of a douche in New York now.

That was the highlight of Swisher's stay on this team. I wish he would have worked out here. I liked him before he came to the Sox, was thrilled when he came here, but everything that came later (performance, conflict, benching, and gifting of to the Yankees) dissapointed me.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
The kind with a sense of humor? I love baseball more than anything, but it's a game. It should be fun, and Swish was a fun player, even while underperforming (and by underperforming, I mean still being better than the Old Man and the 4A guy).

Exactly.

If Swisher can fit in and be loved by the A's and loved by the Yankees and put up an OPS in the .880s in the 250 games since leaving the White Sox, he's not the one necessarily with the problem. It's possible that a loudmouth jackass of a manager is also to blame. I wish Kenny could have stepped in and helped the communication so we didn't end up just giving away Gio and Sweeney for nothing.

And as noted above, Swisher's "terrible" season with us still beats the living crap out of Kotsay's. I can't recall seeing a season as unlucky as Swisher's .249 BABIP with a 20.9 line drive rate. That just doesn't happen. And as expected he's been outstanding in his 2 years since leaving

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
It's really not bull****. The team as a whole didn't like him and he rubbed a LOT of players the wrong way -- veterans in particular -- and you could see tiny red flags during spring training that year. That's why he isn't here anymore. Ultimately, if you're getting under the skin of your teammates' and you aren't producing, you're probably no longer wanted.

It's a perfect illustration that you simply cannot create good chemistry. It has to just happen. One of the reasons Swisher was acquired in the first place is because they thought he'd help keep things loose in the clubhouse (that, and they figured his offensive numbers would improve in this park). It didn't work out that way.

Yep, he rubbed ornery old Dye the wrong way. Woopdeedoo.

Must have been some pretty bad chemistry if we won the division. Who do we get to blame as ruining the chemistry last year? 07? 06?

All BS. We gave up on him, dumped him for literally nothing when we could have at least given him a shot to get his value out of the basement. Horrible move all the way around and I'd gamble more money on everyone giving the "well well he was a horrible clubhouse guy!!!! yeah thats it!!!" than him actually being that bad or Ozzie plain not liking a guy who attracted attention to himself (I don't blame him)

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Yep, he rubbed ornery old Dye the wrong way. Woopdeedoo.

Must have been some pretty bad chemistry if we won the division. Who do we get to blame as ruining the chemistry last year? 07? 06?

All BS. We gave up on him, dumped him for literally nothing when we could have at least given him a shot to get his value out of the basement. Horrible move all the way around and I'd gamble more money on everyone giving the "well well he was a horrible clubhouse guy!!!! yeah thats it!!!" than him actually being that bad or Ozzie plain not liking a guy who attracted attention to himself (I don't blame him)

I like your post in general. Teams win with good and bad chemistry. As a matter of fact the more talent on a team the bigger the ego's the more likely you are to find personality clashes. Think Reggie Jackson/Billy Martin/Thurman Munson. Think Oakland A's of the 70's. Sure it would be just peachy if they all got along but it's not a prerequisite to winning.