Carlos Beltran

chetkincaid

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Dye hasn't played baseball in almost a year.

I doubt he'll have an impact if we sign him now.

Really, he can't be less effective than Kotsay.

The problem with JD is that he had no interest in being a low paid part time player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)

The problem with JD is that he had no interest in being a low paid part time player.

Well, you probably have to send him down for a minor league stint for two weeks. Then when he gets called up, who knows how good he'll be? Maybe an .800 OPS?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
I understand what you're saying Sqwert, but Dye was pretty much the perfect example of the Sox picking up a player who was left for dead and resurrecting his career. Dye put up a .231/.305/.397/.702 line in the second half of 2004, and a .200/.246/.385/.631 line in his first 36 games of the 2005 season too. There were quite a few people who thought Dye was done and washed up, and he turned out to be one of the best free agent signings in White Sox history. I think Jermaine Dye works perfectly as an example of a guy people thought was done and the Sox saw something in him.

I'm not on board for acquiring Carlos Beltran - mainly because of his inflated salary and absolutely no idea what to expect - but acquiring him isn't the worst idea in the world and it tends to fit Williams' MO of finding players other teams thought were done and over with and getting something out of them. If the Mets were willing to take Linebrink while also eating some salary (and taking back only a couple of mediocre prospects too), then I could most definitely see a move occurring.

This.

Plus, remember when Dye suffered that awful foul ball broken leg before he made it to the Sox? I know it was earlier than Beltran's injury but it's still a similar situation.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Well, you probably have to send him down for a minor league stint for two weeks. Then when he gets called up, who knows how good he'll be? Maybe an .800 OPS?

I mean...the problem is...JD has shown no interest whatsoever in coming back either as a part time player or on a more limited salary.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
This.

Plus, remember when Dye suffered that awful foul ball broken leg before he made it to the Sox? I know it was earlier than Beltran's injury but it's still a similar situation.

That was in the '02 playoffs, and 2003 was pretty much a lost season for him. 2004 was the year he recovered, and he came back to life in 2005.

And now he's a no paid no time player. I wonder if he regrets not signing somewhere.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
And now he's a no paid no time player. I wonder if he regrets not signing somewhere.

I think he clearly doesn't. The Nats offered him a contract mid-season for a couple million and he showed no interest in it.

I don't know, did you see JD play last August/September??? I think he can easily be less effective than Kotsay