Theories? Why do the White Sox fade in Aug/Sept. every year?

caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Greg, it was a facetious comment made towards the poster whom he quoted, when he said along the lines of "I hope everyone who loves the Twins goes down on the plane with them when it inevitably crashes."

It may have been a bit over the top, but the initial statement wasn't better and is arguably questioning the level of allegiance these fans have to the White Sox. Just because White Sox fans are critical of the team and are generally snarky and sarcastic and pissed off when the Sox lose doesn't mean they suddenly aren't fans of the team and are fans of the Twins.

OK. Like Caufield, the topic kind of creeped me out, though, and made me think the board had hit a new low.

Fair enough.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)

True enough I guess. Though, actual training camp doesn't start until the very end of July or beginning of August. The first pre-season games aren't starting until end of August. Season is wrapped up by the first week in February. I guess baseball is really not that different, except the ridiculous season length... They play the first spring training games first week of March, and don't finish up the World Series until end of October... Nearly eight months of baseball.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
True enough I guess. Though, actual training camp doesn't start until the very end of July or beginning of August. The first pre-season games aren't starting until end of August. Season is wrapped up by the first week in February. I guess baseball is really not that different, except the ridiculous season length... They play the first spring training games first week of March, and don't finish up the World Series until end of October... Nearly eight months of baseball.

If you count the Super Bown in Feb, and just Training Camp starting in August, that's 7 or so months of NFL football where there are actual games going on...more if you count late July training camps.

Furthermore, I think it's all but a given that there's going to be an NFL regular season expansion in the next CBA, so that'll lessen that point even more.

Flip sports and it works too. Training camp for Basketball starts in October. November 1 is about tipoff time. Late June is the finals. That's 8 months from November to the end of June. If you count exhibition games throughout october, July August and September are about the only times when the NBA doesn't have games, and even then there is international competition and the Lebron James show.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
If you count the Super Bown in Feb, and just Training Camp starting in August, that's 7 or so months of NFL football where there are actual games going on...more if you count late July training camps.

Furthermore, I think it's all but a given that there's going to be an NFL regular season expansion in the next CBA, so that'll lessen that point even more.

Flip sports and it works too. Training camp for Basketball starts in October. November 1 is about tipoff time. Late June is the finals. That's 8 months from November to the end of June. If you count exhibition games throughout october, July August and September are about the only times when the NBA doesn't have games, and even then there is international competition and the Lebron James show.

They only play football games for around 25 weeks. The other seasons are all much longer, and very similiar in length(36-38 weeks), but baseball plays twice the number of games during that time. The games last around the same amount of time as well, with baseball games leaning towards 3 hours, and NBA/NHL more towards 2:30. Basically, there is twice as much baseball played as any other major sport... I honestly think that most sports have too long of a season, aside from football, but that is all revenue driven. I guess I'm the only one that thinks there are just way too many baseball games being played.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
They only play football games for around 25 weeks. The other seasons are all much longer, and very similiar in length(36-38 weeks), but baseball plays twice the number of games during that time. The games last around the same amount of time as well, with baseball games leaning towards 3 hours, and NBA/NHL more towards 2:30. Basically, there is twice as much baseball played as any other major sport... I honestly think that most sports have too long of a season, aside from football, but that is all revenue driven. I guess I'm the only one that thinks there are just way too many baseball games being played.

Football is also a far more physically demanding sport, where you have to give 100% effort at all times you are on the field (unless you're Randy Moss). There's a reason the average running back's career is like 3 years and most players are done by the time they're 31.

Baseball has also had 154 games and 162 games for over 100 years, and that's because it generally takes that many games (or more) to determine who are the best 4 teams within each league.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Maybe we can find Ozzie a new career as an NFL head coach?

Or at least in the NL where his managerial style is most suited, I wouldn't be surprised if he had success there at all.

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to change to the NL, as close as Selig and JR are.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first year of the Ozzie era we've played NL ball.

We've generally had plodders who run station to station and hit a lot of home runs.

I would suspect after this season we'll go back to long ball emphasis with a batch of Beckham, Rios and Flowers doubles thrown in there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Football is also a far more physically demanding sport, where you have to give 100% effort at all times you are on the field (unless you're Randy Moss). There's a reason the average running back's career is like 3 years and most players are done by the time they're 31.

Baseball has also had 154 games and 162 games for over 100 years, and that's because it generally takes that many games (or more) to determine who are the best 4 teams within each league.

Why does it take 162 games to determine who the four best teams are in baseball, yet, basketball and hockey take around half that, with just as many teams? I don't buy that. The length of the baseball season is revenue driven, just like every other sport. There's also tradition in place as well. There's no reason you can't determine the best teams at the 100 game mark, instead of the 162 game mark. None at all.

Btw, here's an interesting fact. The ratio of regular season games to playoff games in baseball is roughly 60:1. The ratio in hockey and basketball is like 12:1... I'd much rather they shorten up the baseball season by around 30 games, and change the playoff format so six or eight teams from the NL and six or eight teams from the AL make the playoffs. Would make that last month of baseball much more entertaining.

Edited by CQMVP