Roger Clemens indicted for perjury, obstruction

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Andy Pettitte is on the stand in Clemens's re-trial the last couple days. He's the prosecution's star witness because he can state that Clemens told him he was juicing. Clemens's defense is claiming that pettitte misremembered the conversation. Today, Pettitte admitted under oath that it's possible he misremembered or misheard the statement. This might well destroy the prosecution's case a 2nd time.

Way to show that testicular fortitude Andy!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
He is a scumbag. Hopefully the HOF voters hold this against him.

He is keeping his good friend from going to jail over something dumb and a giant waste of money.... I think anyone that wouldn't fudge the truth to help a friend out in a case like this is the true scumbag.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
He is keeping his good friend from going to jail over something dumb and a giant waste of money.... I think anyone that wouldn't fudge the truth to help a friend out in a case like this is the true scumbag.

I can't imagine the government would have brought this "giant waste of money" case I'd try had Pettitr telling them what he just said in court. But hey, he's wasting the taxpayers money so it's ok right?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 2, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)

He either lied to the grand jury, or he lied to the court. Either way he is a scumbag

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Andy Pettitte is on the stand in Clemens's re-trial the last couple days. He's the prosecution's star witness because he can state that Clemens told him he was juicing. Clemens's defense is claiming that pettitte misremembered the conversation. Today, Pettitte admitted under oath that it's possible he misremembered or misheard the statement. This might well destroy the prosecution's case a 2nd time.

To be "under oath" means so little that I'm not sure why they even bother mentioning it. It carries about as much weight as pinky swearing does.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
I can't imagine the government would have brought this "giant waste of money" case I'd try had Pettitr telling them what he just said in court. But hey, he's wasting the taxpayers money so it's ok right?

Well, I'm assuming they did their homework and knew how much it was troubling Pettite testifying against Clemens and probably shouldn't be relied as the the key witness..... none of it's ok.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
To be "under oath" means so little that I'm not sure why they even bother mentioning it. It carries about as much weight as pinky swearing does.

Because you can charge a person with perjury if they lie under oath?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
I'd love to know how often that actually happens, and what percentage of those actually result in a conviction.

I think Clemens has some good defense behind him. Just throw some doubt in there. Pettite might have misunderstood/misremember/etc. Pettite went along with it. Basically saying that you aren't 100 percent sure.

I think Clemens will not be indicted. and you cannot say that Pettite committed perjury under oath. Great plan. I foresee both of them pitching for the yanks this year.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
Sucks, but not unexpected. Govt. rarely wins high profile cases against high-priced private attorneys.

He's still guilty as sin, and most in the BWAA will see it that way.

doubtful

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
Clemens is in no way a lock for the HOF due to the possible roiding

It certainly stains his reputation, but I think he will get in. Maybe not first ballot, but he will get in