remaining schedules...

Greg Hibbard

The differences in schedule:

Sox play one more road game in detroit than the twins, they each play 3 home and 3 away in addition. (edge to twins)

We play 6 games @ LAA and Oak, Twins have 6 against them at home (big edge to twins)

They play Texas for 7 (3 home /4 away), we play Boston for 7 (4/3) (slight edge to sox)

We host NYY for 3, they host Toronto for 4. (edge to twins)

We both play 15 games vs. bottom feeders (they play Cle, KC and Sea, we play Cle, KC and Bal) - but we have 9 home games, whereas they have 6. (slight edge to sox)

I think we need a sweep at the Cell to have a shot...

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
The differences in schedule:

Sox play one more road game in detroit than the twins, they each play 3 home and 3 away in addition. (edge to twins)

We play 6 games @ LAA and Oak, Twins have 6 against them at home (big edge to twins)

They play Texas for 7 (3 home /4 away), we play Boston for 7 (4/3) (slight edge to sox)

We host NYY for 3, they host Toronto for 4. (edge to twins)

We both play 15 games vs. bottom feeders (they play Cle, KC and Sea, we play Cle, KC and Bal) - but we have 9 home games, whereas they have 6. (slight edge to sox)

I think we need a sweep at the Cell to have a shot...

The Sox tend to do well against DET most of the time, so I'd call that first one an edge for the Sox, not the Twins. Otherwise I agree with your analysis.

That said, that would make 3 edges for Sox, and 2 for the Twins. I think our overall SOS is slightly tougher, but we play 16 of our last 22 at home as well. I think the remaining schedule is pretty dead even.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
And for whatever reason don't we typically play the Yanks and Red Sox pretty well for the most part?

I was thinking the same thing, but looking back at the numbers, they tell a different story. From 2005-2009, the Sox are 13-23 v. BOS & 14-22 vs. NYY. Against each team they have lost 4 of the season series and only tied once.

to be within 2 games either way when they come to town in September, that's all I ask. If they kick our ass again then they deserve to win it.

But they've been on quite the tear since the all-star break and the Sox were destined to cool off. IMO, the twins are now destined to cool off. I predict a big surprise when they visit Seattle in a week or so.

The Twins will indeed cool off at some point and allow us to get within a game or two, hell I wouldn't even be surprised if we retake the lead at some point. That being said, if I had to bet, I'd say they end up closing out the season in stronger fashion the last week or two and end up taking the division.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
I looked back...21-6 is their record over the last 27 - that's a pretty unreal clip against AL competition. It's a miracle we aren't further back.

Yeah, its also unsustainable. There is almost they play like that for 6 more weeks - that would mean they'd go 51-16 to close out the season, which would be just unreal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
Yeah, its also unsustainable. There is almost they play like that for 6 more weeks - that would mean they'd go 51-16 to close out the season, which would be just unreal.

They don't need to play like that...21-20 gets them 91 wins...which would mean the Sox would have to go 25-16 just to tie.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
They don't need to play like that...21-20 gets them 91 wins...which would mean the Sox would have to go 25-16 just to tie.

I say a sox streak of 32-0 sounds great.

Suuuuuure.... I mean let's do 25-8. ;)

I'll take it.

f*** the haters!!!

f*** the twins!!!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
a hot September by the likes of Beckham, Quentin and Teahen would certainly help the cause.

+Burhle

+Jackson

+Danks

+Floyd

+Garcia

+Bullpen

it matter not if we shan't pitch!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
the Sox were destined to cool off. IMO, the twins are now destined to cool off. I predict a big surprise when they visit Seattle in a week or so.

except the Sox didn't cool off, they went cold. The amount of 1 run losses lately has been devastating, the 4run blow in MN in the 9th was devastating, the losses to BAL were devastating, Thome's walkoff was devastating. We're 4.5 out at the time this goes to press, but it should be 0.5 game if we held a lead in the last inning twice against MN, or up a game adding one more win in BAL

we might heat up a bit, but with the team we're playing, a LOT of luck will need to be involved for them to start losing a bunch of games. They're simply unconscious since the ASB and cooling down a bit isn't going to get it done, they'll need to go cold like we did.