The Twins would not be panicked if they were 4 games out

VAfan

The recent meltdowns by the Sox bullpen, and other assorted woes, could be enough to make many teams wilt and fade away down the stretch, much like the Tigers went into the tank recently.

But if the Sox were the team with a 4 game lead with 41 games to go, including 3 more head-to-head, I would guarantee you that no one in the Minnesota clubhouse would think they were out of it. Indeed, they might think -- we've got them right where we want them!

This Sox team has already put together one of the hottest month+-long stretches in team history. There should be no reason to think it can't play well enough to make up 4 games on the Twins by October. Heck, we may have finally burst the Carl Pavano bubble. And we otherwise hit Twin pitching pretty hard.

So, buckle up. I don't think the ride for this season is over yet.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm amazed by how many people who still think the Angels are any good. They're not.

Bu bu bu but they have Mike f***ing Sciocia and we have stupid ol' Ozzie!!!! They have to be good, he's such an incredible manager!!

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Bu bu bu but they have Mike f***ing Sciocia and we have stupid ol' Ozzie!!!! They have to be good, he's such an incredible manager!!

Because the results of this one particular season is a direct correlation to which one is the better manager.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm amazed by how many people who still think the Angels are any good. They're not.

Well when your top 3 starters are Dan Haren, Jered Weaver and Ervin Santana you can't be all that bad. Losing Morales like they did has really killed them.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
or how stupid it is to stress out so much about the manager. Either one

One can understand that when your manager takes a guy who was about to be designated for assignment by one organization just before trading him for perpetual bum Brian Anderson and makes him his primary DH.

We're not 4 games out. We are only 1 or 3 games back. Hear me out:

We have three head-to-head games left with the Twins. If those were the next 3 games on the schedule, at the end of that series we'd be 1, 3, 5 or 7 games back. The Sox almost certainly aren't going to win the division unless they win 3 or 2 of those games. That just leaves 1 or 3 games to make up over the other 38 games. Eminently doable.

when we were 9.5 out and I had all but tuned out of the season, my eternally optimistic buddy was painting scenarios where we could get back in, I laughed at him, as always, but had later to come back and tell him "someday I'll learn from you". Now that we're here he's his usual glass half full self, so I think I need to go back to full quit on the team fanship, so the Sox can climb back in.

In 2004 when they traded away Mags and El Caballo, I renounced my 34yrs of being a fan, stating if the organization was going to show they didn't care about the fan, I could no longer care about them, well we all know how that epic breaking of ties ended....with me spending 8Gs on tickets for WS games 1 and 2 :gosoxretro: