Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Illinois is a much better job than Purdue if you want to compete for national titles and final fours. Not even comparable. There probably isn't really much of a difference between the Illinois and MSU (assuming money equal) job either. Izzo is an unreal coach, but in terms of facilities, recruiting base, name brand, etc there isn't a whole lot different.

I agree that Illinois is above Purdue. I just don't know exactly what the guy wants. He may want to stay in Indiana for all we know and Purdue could be the opportunity he gets to be in a major conference in the state. That's why I would debate Michigan St. being a top job, Izzo is the number one reason far and away that the program is so good.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I agree that Illinois is above Purdue. I just don't know exactly what the guy wants. He may want to stay in Indiana for all we know and Purdue could be the opportunity he gets to be in a major conference in the state. That's why I would debate Michigan St. being a top job, Izzo is the number one reason far and away that the program is so good.

Obviously Izzo is a huge part of it, but I think a lot of coaches could do well there once they get established in the high school scene. It's not like Izzo's recruiting classes are all non-Michigan guys. Kids want to go to MSU, not Michigan.

And I fail to see why Illinois wouldn't be on his list. I'm not arguing Illinois is equal to these other programs, but based on location and membership in a big conference it'd be getting him to that upper level. Purdue and Indiana make sense for the same reasons.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Obviously Izzo is a huge part of it, but I think a lot of coaches could do well there once they get established in the high school scene. It's not like Izzo's recruiting classes are all non-Michigan guys. Kids want to go to MSU, not Michigan.

And I fail to see why Illinois wouldn't be on his list. I'm not arguing Illinois is equal to these other programs, but based on location and membership in a big conference it'd be getting him to that upper level. Purdue and Indiana make sense for the same reasons.

I just said that if Illinois is on his list that I think Purdue could be too and that I really think he wants one of elite programs or Indiana ultimately.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
I just said that if Illinois is on his list that I think Purdue could be too and that I really think he wants one of elite programs or Indiana ultimately.

Yeah that was directed to the other people who are claiming Illinois wouldn't be considered.

If Stevens' goal was to play in a major conference, he would have left for Oregon or Wake Forest last year. Oregon offered him damn near 2.5 million, and he laughed them off. Stevens makes real good money (about to make even more after his raise), and is coaching in the city he grew up in. The only jobs I could ever see him leaving for is Indiana/Duke. His dad played football at IU, and his mom used to teach there. He used to attend IU games regularly as a kid.

As for Purdue going after Stevens.... If they can't afford a really good coach, that is also an alumn, how the hell could they afford Stevens? Stevens is the hottest coach/name around.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
If Stevens' goal was to play in a major conference, he would have left for Oregon or Wake Forest last year. Oregon offered him damn near 2.5 million, and he laughed them off. Stevens makes real good money (about to make even more after his raise), and is coaching in the city he grew up in. The only jobs I could ever see him leaving for is Indiana/Duke. His dad played football at IU, and his mom used to teach there. He used to attend IU games regularly as a kid.

I agree with you, although I could see him possibly leaving for a Kentucky/UNC/KU type job if they ever opened up. It also needs to be noted that he is only 34 years old. He could stay at Butler for another 10 years, then leave for a dream job. He'd only be 44 and would still have a good 20 years or so to coach at that school.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Illinois is a much better job than Purdue if you want to compete for national titles and final fours. Not even comparable. There probably isn't really much of a difference between the Illinois and MSU (assuming money equal) job either. Izzo is an unreal coach, but in terms of facilities, recruiting base, name brand, etc there isn't a whole lot different.

MSU is a more high profile job than Illinois, even if the coach is a large part of it, thats how big programs get built.

MSU-14 consecutive NCAA bids, since 1999 they have one 1 title, been to 2 title games, 6 final fours, 7 elite eights, 8 sweet sixteens, 5 conference titles.

Izzo has guided the Spartans to six of twelve NCAA Final Fours from 1999 to 2010, an accomplishment unmatched by any other college basketball program during that span.

ILL-in that same time frame-10 tourney appearances, 4 sweet sixteens, 2 elite eights, 1 final four, and 1 championship appearance.

Nobody in the Big Ten touches MSU.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)

If this is true, Indiana should dump Crean immediately.

They wouldn't do that to Crean, even though I think every single commit would stick because honestly, who doesn't love Brad Stevens? Crean will get his shot the next 2 years, if it doesn't work out, in steps Stevens. Most would think IU wouldn't even be able to buy out Creans contract, but thats where Bill Cook steps in. Oh, the luxury of having a billionaire booster. :)

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
They wouldn't do that to Crean, even though I think every single commit would stick because honestly, who doesn't love Brad Stevens? Crean will get his shot the next 2 years, if it doesn't work out, in steps Stevens. Most would think IU wouldn't even be able to buy out Creans contract, but thats where Bill Cook steps in. Oh, the luxury of having a billionaire booster. :)

Wasnt IU athletics in like a 10 million dollar hole a few years ago?

I think the athletic program was, but money is never really an issue for the basketball team, and evidently the football program now. Bill Cook just forked over 50 million for Cook Hall to be built for the basketball teams, bought out Sampson's contract, and put together Crean's contract. Then Cook and John Cougar Mellencamp (pretty sure) teamed to build a new fball press box with facilities for the players that was completed last year. Boosters have always carried the weight.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
My boy Aaron Craft got named to the all-defensive team. Nice work kid.

13 Seniors

7 Juniors

0 Sophmores

1 Freshman - Aaron Craft

That kid is awesome. One of my favorite players to watch this year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
That kid is awesome. One of my favorite players to watch this year.

Great defender but he doesn't really have much of an offensive skill set, does he?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
George Ofman just said on CTL that Illinois doesn't have the talent to do what Butler is doing. Not only does Illinois have good enough talent, it's a million times better than Butler. What a dope.

Talent was at the bottom of Illinois' problems this year.

Wow, so it sounds like Painter to Missouri is a done deal. I actually think that's a great hire for Missouri. Might be rough on recruiting for a couple of years, but he's a solid coach who "rebuilt" Purdue after Keady's last few years.

Edit: Might be premature. There's the lesson for not relying on message boards for breaking news.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
Great defender but he doesn't really have much of an offensive skill set, does he?

Good shooter, better at driving. Pretty good offensively actually. Had some good games as a supporting cast member offensively. Well known IN the OSU community as Diebler's shooting partner (diebler obsessively shoots all hours of the night).

Anyone else excited about the McD's game today?

@ SethDavisHoops Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch has reported that Matt Painter called Missouri AD Mike Alden to accept his offer.

Wow. For some reason, I never realized that Painter played for Purdue as well. I don't know how much more Mizzou is paying him, but thats a huge get for them. Stealing a successful coach from his alma mater at a program thats on a similar level, if not higher.