Sox vs. A's

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
if not mistaken didn't both Floyd and YTome come at the same time from Philly? So that's one deal. Swisher's was a flop. I don't think he traded for them separately but maybe I am wrong

You are mistaken. Rowand+Gio->Thome (2005), Freddy->Floyd+Gio (2006).

Edited by JorgeFabregas

I keep wondering if Garcia could fill the role of long reliever/spot starter next year. I could be wrong, but I don't think we can count on him for another full year as the 5th starter. However, I think he could be an interesting candidate for the role that Pena has found himself in this year a lot, which is coming in early in certain games with the hope of giving the Sox somewhere around three or four innings before they could get to the end of the bullpen. I know a lot of it depends on the ability to get warm quickly in the bullpen, but if Freddy could make that transition, I think it could be a great niche for him.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:46 AM)
I keep wondering if Garcia could fill the role of long reliever/spot starter next year. I could be wrong, but I don't think we can count on him for another full year as the 5th starter. However, I think he could be an interesting candidate for the role that Pena has found himself in this year a lot, which is coming in early in certain games with the hope of giving the Sox somewhere around three or four innings before they could get to the end of the bullpen. I know a lot of it depends on the ability to get warm quickly in the bullpen, but if Freddy could make that transition, I think it could be a great niche for him.

No thanks on Garcia, as he cannot be relied upon for a full season and just like with most veterans, I have no faith in Ozzie to use him correctly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
No thanks on Garcia, as he cannot be relied upon for a full season and just like with most veterans, I have no faith in Ozzie to use him correctly.

Certainly not for a full season every 5th day, but as the occasional long reliever?

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:56 AM)
Actually, he grabbed his tricep, not his bicep. Stone said the initial report is "shoulder tightness."

Hopefully MRI comes back clean, and we shut him down for the season. If it's a severe shoulder issue, then Gavin has a very long road ahead of him.

Shut him down. He's pitched about 190 innings anyway. I honestly would shut down Danks and Buehrle too, but I know we won't do that. But hey.. we get to see more Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres! Might have to keep an eye out of that 15th race more closely.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 04:38 AM)
Shut him down. He's pitched about 190 innings anyway. I honestly would shut down Danks and Buehrle too, but I know we won't do that. But hey.. we get to see more Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres! Might have to keep an eye out of that 15th race more closely.

Jackson should be shut down as well. Instead, Ozzie seems to be pushing the starters more than usual. Really have to hope we dodge a bullet without having a serious Floyd shoulder injury.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
Do you really think that Gio Gonzalez would have an ERA below 4 (let alone the 3.47 he's at) pitching half of his games for the White Sox? Surprise surprise, he's been phenomenal at home (2.70 with a completely unsustainable .229 BABIP) and a bit more human on the road (4.22 ERA, a somewhat unlucky but closer to reality .322 BABIP, and 1.44 WHIP). I would say his road splits are closer to his natural talent level than his overall numbers indicate because he's pitching in a great pitching environment for half of his games.

He had a 3.47 ERA, 1.28 WHIP (or something around those lines) before that 2 IP 7 ER game his last start versus Kansas City on the road. I would think that would attain more from pitching 30+ more IP this year than he ever has in his life (hell he has more K per 9 IP on the road than he does at home). So no.. he's legit.

Edited by J.Reedfan8