Sox vs A's Jackson vs Anderson

WSoxMatt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
Nice comeback, but I hate seeing Thornton pitch 2 innings in a game.

Doesn't matter much today, since the next game is not until Friday night. Thornton will get rest, and since the games don't matter too much now anyway, he's not critically needed on Friday or any other game for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Doesn't matter much today, since the next game is not until Friday night. Thornton will get rest, and since the games don't matter too much now anyway, he's not critically needed on Friday or any other game for the rest of the year.

It's more about protecting Thornton, who had some health issues a month ago after extending himself in a game.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)

The worry isn't that he won't be available for a day or two, the worry is that he'll be out there for a 2nd inning in a meaningless game and feel something pop in that elbow.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Jenks won't be back. I can almost guarantee it. I'd expect Sale to close before Bobby with the White Sox.

I could see it possible that the Sox decide they have no other closer option and offer Jenks like $2 million to come back...but frankly...this has more hallmarks of a breakup than Ozzie and Kenny do.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Jenks won't be back. I can almost guarantee it. I'd expect Sale to close before Bobby with the White Sox.

I think Sale could be effective as a closer, but I really don't want him there.

He's too valuable as a starter to not develop him in this postition.

Lets start him in AA or AAA....if he develops as hoped for, he'll be starting in the bigs by the all star break.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Agreed. If we are to bounce back and contend in 2011, Bobby is going to have to be a force next season.

I feel like we are approaching Kerry Wood status with Bobby now; we know the talent is there, but how many times do we want to get burned by his random injuries?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I could see it possible that the Sox decide they have no other closer option and offer Jenks like $2 million to come back...but frankly...this has more hallmarks of a breakup than Ozzie and Kenny do.

I would as well, but Jenks would easily get more than that on the open market from some team. And that team won't be the Sox.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 22, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
I think Sale could be effective as a closer, but I really don't want him there.

He's too valuable as a starter to not develop him in this postition.

Lets start him in AA or AAA....if he develops as hoped for, he'll be starting in the bigs by the all star break.

Agreed. I want him as a starter to see what he can do. Then again, the first time his arm falls off, it's to the closer's spot for you kid.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 23, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
I would as well, but Jenks would easily get more than that on the open market from some team. And that team won't be the Sox.

Agreed. I want him as a starter to see what he can do. Then again, the first time his arm falls off, it's to the closer's spot for you kid.

I get a kick out of how Sox fans hate on Jenks (not nitetrain specifically) but in the same breath fans say other teams are going to offer him a ton of cash to be their closer.

So which is it? Does Bobby suck? if so, why would ANYBODY want him. And if several teams want him, why wouldn't the Sox and their fans want him?

Is it your (by your I mean Jenks haters) simplistic, oh he'll do well in the NL argument? As if the NL is Class A ball or something?

I just ifnd it funny Sox fans say other teams will line up to pay Jenks a ton of money. But if he's as rotten as Sox fans on here have said all year, WTF would anybody want him?? I mean he should be out of baseball if he's as bad a closer as everybody on here says.

--Nice to see the Sox are still capable of winning a game.

And it was come from behind so I guess those who say the team has quit figure every so often the team will try.

Jenks has simply worn out his welcome in Chicago. He had some very good years, and some mediocre years, and this year he's been bad. He still has good peripheral statistics so it's within reason that he could be a great closer for someone next year. I just don't think it's going to be the Sox unless the Sox were to non-tender him and sign him to a lesser deal, and even then, the Sox have a few good options they can use as the closer next year (looking at Sale, Thornton, and Santos) for considerably less money.