LET'S MAKE A LIST - OCTOBER '10

knightni

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
What's your avatar supposed to be?

My signature with Sandra Bullock and an owl?

No great significance, I just thought that it was a funny comparison.

Ah the avatar...

It's the ORLY owl as The Crow.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
My signature with Sandra Bullock and an owl?

No great significance, I just thought that it was a funny comparison.

Ah the avatar...

It's the ORLY owl as The Crow.

Ah, thought it was something with the name O'Reilly. Couldn't really tell with the size of the picture.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
American Werewolf in London is one of the dumbest horror movies that I've ever seen.

You can Go To Hell, You can go Straight To Hell!! Screw You Guys, I'm going home.

American Werewolf in London is a classic. It is certainly the best Rick Baker makeup effects of that decade and worth considering for that fact alone. It also has the psychological element with David never sure what he's imagining and what is real, with all of his victims including his best friend showing up to chat with him. The "all moon" classic rock soundtrack is pure genius (i.e., Bad Moon Rising, Moondance, two versions of Blue Moon, etc.). Plus Nurse Alex (Jenny Agutter) was very hot when I saw this film as a young red-blooded teenager.

As a bonus, the film stand as the only thing "The Dr. Pepper Guy" ever did besides being "The Dr. Pepper Guy".

:lolhitting

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Me too. I need to rewatch that. I totally forgot that the TV edit ending with the Thinh transformed into the sled dog was not the original theatrical ending.

The TV version of Halloween has some extra scenes in it too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 05:27 AM)
Outside of The Thing, there is not one horror remake that's as good as the original.

Off the top of my head I agree, although the Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake with Donald Sutherland comes close IMO. Most people also rank The Ring as better than the Japanese original (I don't), although I know that a contemporary American adaptation of an international film is not the same as the modernization of classic films that comprise most of the remakes we're talking about.

What I don't get is the shot-for-shot remakes, ala' the Omen remake. Why even bother??

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 04:27 AM)
Outside of The Thing, there is not one horror remake that's as good as the original.

I think many times, and it goes for music as well, it depends on which one you heard/saw first.

There are a few songs/movies that I've seen/heard the remake first and like it better than the original. On the other hand if I see/hear the original first, a lot of times I don't like the remake.

Maybe that's just me though...

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 06:05 AM)
Off the top of my head I agree, although the Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake with Donald Sutherland comes close IMO. Most people also rank The Ring as better than the Japanese original (I don't), although I know that a contemporary American adaptation of an international film is not the same as the modernization of classic films that comprise most of the remakes we're talking about.

What I don't get is the shot-for-shot remakes, ala' the Omen remake. Why even bother??

Money. All you really have to do is make a mediocre horror movie and release it near Halloween and you'll make a ton of money.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 04:05 AM)

Remaking Psycho was one of the stupidest ideas ever and didn't work on so many levels. I don't even think the Peter Jackson "epic" version of King Kong was better than the original. Of course the special effects were better but it was turned into a 3 hour snoozefest with which I was bored and didn't even watch the whole thing.

I totally agree with the remake of The Thing though...a way superior film to the original.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Remaking Psycho was one of the stupidest ideas ever and didn't work on so many levels. I don't even think the Peter Jackson "epic" version of King Kong was better than the original. Of course the special effects were better but it was turned into a 3 hour snoozefest with which I was bored and didn't even watch the whole thing.

I totally agree with the remake of The Thing though...a way superior film to the original.

I'm fairly certain that everyone thinks the same thing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
I liked the new King Kong.

It was different than the old one enough that it was like a new movie.

I don't watch it much because it makes me sad. Poor monkey. :crying

Great ape, not monkey. And I didn't think the new one was awful, justy not a classic. Way better than the one where they put the giant Jarvik 7 artificial heart in Kong to bring him back to life. Was I the only one in the world who saw that turd?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

I actually expected Jaws to be higher than #5, but I'm glad it's right up there. It was my choice for #1 because of the effect it still has on me. I'm not scared of the water by any means, but I cannot going into any depth of water without the thought of a shark (or something) possibly being in there. That is thanks to Jaws. You know something gets to you when you think about it while in four feet of water in your backyard.