LET'S MAKE A LIST - OCTOBER '10

knightni

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
The Psycho shower scene has to be one of the most overrated scenes in movie history. It's incredibly awkward and Janet Leigh looks like she's dancing through the latter half of the attack. I really find it difficult to believe anyone would be scared by it.

I freaked out more by seeing his mother.

...of course, I was 12.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
I actually expected Jaws to be higher than #5, but I'm glad it's right up there. It was my choice for #1 because of the effect it still has on me. I'm not scared of the water by any means, but I cannot going into any depth of water without the thought of a shark (or something) possibly being in there. That is thanks to Jaws. You know something gets to you when you think about it while in four feet of water in your backyard.

Agreed. No other horror movie has had any type of lasting effect on me other then Jaws.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
I freaked out more by seeing his mother.

...of course, I was 12.

I was 10. I saw it at the theater when it came out in 1960. My friend and I went to the theater like we often did on Saturday afternoons. We didn't have a clue what we were about to see. Scared the s*** out of me.

As for the shower scene being "overrated" that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time, sorry. It's been studied in film classes for decades for it's editing. Psycho was original and groundbreaking and in 1960 considering films at the time and prior to, was totally shocking.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
I was 10. I saw it at the theater when it came out in 1960. My friend and I went to the theater like we often did on Saturday afternoons. We didn't have a clue what we were about to see. Scared the s*** out of me.

As for the shower scene being "overrated" that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time, sorry. It's been studied in film classes for decades for it's editing. Psycho was original and groundbreaking and in 1960 considering films at the time and prior to, was totally shocking.

Saying that it was original for 1960 hardly counters the argument that it's incredibly lame by today's standards.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
What do you want full frontal nudity, in vivid color with lotsa blood spurting all over the place? That would make it "better"?

How about something that doesn't look like it was acted by kids in a middle school play? Stabbing motions done by someone who looks like they've held a knife before? A victim who isn't dancing?

The music is about the only thing that gives that scene any intensity.

Of course Norman Bates has no idea how to use a knife. He's a nebbish-y mamas boy from the sticks. and she is dancing, in a sense, to try to avoid the stabs. I don't know how it could be "acted" better. The editing is a marvel. I really don't see any weight to your argument that it is an "overrated" scene, whatever that means.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 01:43 AM)
Of course Norman Bates has no idea how to use a knife. He's a nebbish-y mamas boy from the sticks. and she is dancing, in a sense, to try to avoid the stabs. I don't know how it could be "acted" better. The editing is a marvel.

What I was saying is that his 'stabs' look really awkward. Leigh's turn-in-a-circle-in-one-place hokey-pokey doesn't seem like much of a defense and it comes across rather silly that she's able to do so after already receiving a half dozen full stabs.

I really don't see any weight to your argument that it is an "overrated" scene, whatever that means.

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory. The scene is considered one of the best in movie history, despite, IMO, not being the least bit scary or realistic.

Each summer at my Scout camp we watch Jaws, outdoors, under the stars. Waves lapping up on shore, boats chugging past. Scuba divers planning tomorrows dives, surfers preparing for one more day on the waves, sailors thinking about going off shore, yeah, I'm a mean s.o.b.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
What I was saying is that his 'stabs' look really awkward. Leigh's turn-in-a-circle-in-one-place hokey-pokey doesn't seem like much of a defense and it comes across rather silly that she's able to do so after already receiving a half dozen full stabs.

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory. The scene is considered one of the best in movie history, despite, IMO, not being the least bit scary or realistic.

Yeah the stabs are awkward, like there is something wrong with him, almost like he's psycho or something ;)

1. The Descent

2. Saw

3. Halloween

4. The Shining

5. Pet Semetary

6. The Ring

7. Paranormal Activity

8. Poltergeist

9. Dawn of the Dead Remake

10. Sixth Sense

11. Cloverfield

12. Psycho original