2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 01:20 AM)
You mean like how he had Gordon Beckham as a prime breakout candidate this year?

He has also said the White Sox have the worst farm systems in the majors, but is he wrong? It is one of the worst, so I would say you can make the argument that it is the worst.

He may have some underlying bias towards the White Sox, but I really have never seen it. He seems to be very critical of a lot of teams - I recall seeing both Nationals and Giants fans crying about how Law always tears their teams apart. I strongly doubt Law means to direct any ill-will towards the White Sox.

His joke about dressing up for Halloween as Alexei Ramirez why wearing all black and swinging a bat around aimlessly without actually hitting anything.

How some people said he liked Chris Sale until the minute we drafted him, and then dogged him. Other examples too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)

With Mauer's contract expanding by about $10 million this year, they almost have zero choice.

The question with them is going to be whether they can sustain it, even if they keep winning. That stadium was packed last year because it was the first year, it's a solid park, and they had a winning team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
With Mauer's contract expanding by about $10 million this year, they almost have zero choice.

The question with them is going to be whether they can sustain it, even if they keep winning. That stadium was packed last year because it was the first year, it's a solid park, and they had a winning team.

The only thing that should change out of that is the new stadium part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
The only thing that should change out of that is the new stadium part.

And you know quite well that's a huge part.

Plus there are other potential stadium variables...like the fact that they didn't lose a week to snow any time during the season. (Although that will become gradually less likely with each passing year).

Take the Tigers as an example. Everyone thought they had a great setup after their WS run, young pitching, lots of hitting, hell they even added Miguel Cabrera after that and expanded their salary hugely...but a handful of injuries and bad contracts and most people expect them to cut back on spending quite a bit this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
And you know quite well that's a huge part.

Plus there are other potential stadium variables...like the fact that they didn't lose a week to snow any time during the season. (Although that will become gradually less likely with each passing year).

Take the Tigers as an example. Everyone thought they had a great setup after their WS run, young pitching, lots of hitting, hell they even added Miguel Cabrera after that and expanded their salary hugely...but a handful of injuries and bad contracts and most people expect them to cut back on spending quite a bit this year.

Honestly as long as the Twins win, they pack the stadium. That's the way it has always been.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
Honestly as long as the Twins win, they pack the stadium. That's the way it has always been.

The Twins averaged 39,700 last year. 29,000 in 2009, 28,000 in 2008, 28,000 in 2007, 28,000 in 2006.

They went from 60% capacity to 100% capacity between 2009 and 2010.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Nice number manipulation. Their capacity also fell about 15,000 seats too.

And I also gave the raw numbers too. So they lost capacity yet sold a ton more tickets. You don't think there's any chance there's a major ticket sales transient in there? Anyway, you're the one who said "They packed that stadium", which is why I included the %ages. 60% on average isn't packed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
And I also gave the raw numbers too. So they lost capacity yet sold a ton more tickets. You don't think there's any chance there's a major ticket sales transient in there? Anyway, you're the one who said "They packed that stadium", which is why I included the %ages. 60% on average isn't packed.

That is a terrible use of statistics. Comparing seating capacities with a seating difference of like 15,000 seats in the same city? You can do better than that.

Hopefully no one actually thinks the Twins bump in attendance is reflective of some new ongoing reality. Every city and every new stadium gets a big bump that first year, diminshing over the next few, and eventually returns to something relatively close to their previous numbers (probably slightly above). The Twins are not now suddenly going to get 15k new average attendance every year for eternity.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
His joke about dressing up for Halloween as Alexei Ramirez why wearing all black and swinging a bat around aimlessly without actually hitting anything.

How some people said he liked Chris Sale until the minute we drafted him, and then dogged him. Other examples too.

Perhaps it was wrong to say he was going to go around aimlessly swinging and stuff without hitting anything, because Alexei does hit quite a few balls, but he does swing at some pretty terrible pitches, especially in April and May.

He also didn't like Chris Sale. He had him going in like the top 5-10 because that was the common assertion at the time, but he never valued him highly. The fact that he went to the White Sox is coincidental.

QUOTE (since56 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
This year we had warm weather, but I could see some world series games snowed out in Minneapolis ( if the twins could ever advance beyond the first round).

They don't even need a World Series, they are going to be playing baseball in April and even March.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
They don't even need a World Series, they are going to be playing baseball in April and even March.

Yeah, but those games would not cause the commotion world series or playoff games would. I guess they could postpone and get them in some how, but if the match up is Minnesota and say Colorado the ratings would already be low. Postponements putting the games to mid November with two small markets teams could be a real fiasco for mlb and fox.

QUOTE (since56 @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
Yeah, but those games would not cause the commotion world series or playoff games would. I guess they could postpone and get them in some how, but if the match up is Minnesota and say Colorado the ratings would already be low. Postponements putting the games to mid November with two small markets teams could be a real fiasco for mlb and fox.

No one other than Fox should care one iota about MLB Playoff TV ratings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
With Miller going out, and Maybin being shopped, its time to say that the Marlins blew that Cabrera deal.

That's so unfortunate for that organization and unacceptable at the same time. Trading elite talent like Cabrera and not getting back any proven players is unacceptable.

I'm not trying to compare Danks to Cabrera, but if Danks is traded we better get proven players back.

Maybin has been traded to the Padres

The Padres have reached agreement on a trade with the Marlins for Cameron Maybin, according to Tom Krasovic of Fanhouse (via Twitter). The Marlins will receive relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica in exchange for the center fielder, Krasovic tweets.

The deal will provide Maybin with a much needed change of scenery, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports writes (via Twitter). The 23-year-old has yet to realize his potential after coming over to the Marlins in the 2007 Miguel Cabrera-Dontrelle Willis trade. Maybin's performance at the plate was particularly disappointing this season as he hit .234/.302/.361 with eight homers in 322 plate appearances.

The 6'6" Webb appears to be the key to the trade, Krasovic tweets. The right-hander could be a set-up man for the Fish and is not yet arbitration-eligible. Heading into the 2010 season, Baseball America rated Webb as the 24th best prospect in San Diego's system. The 24-year-old has a 94-96 mph fastball with a strong mid-80s curveball, according to the publication. In 54 big league games this year, Webb registered a 2.90 ERA with 6.7 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9.

Meanwhile, Mujica is arbitration eligible for the first time this winter. The 26-year-old hurler turned in a 3.62 ERA with 9.3 K/9 and 0.8 BB/9 across 59 games this year.

I think KW should've tried. Either way, that deal was the best possible deal they could've got for Cabrera at the time. It didn't work out, but sometimes it happens.