SOXTALK NOV/DEC '10 LIST

knightni

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
I found another superb IPA. Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. Very tasty.

Two thumbs up on Little Sumpin' Sumpin' — another example of an American Wheat that I actually like. If you like that one, be on the lookout for their Little Sumpin' Wild which is a similar wheat ale as far as the grain bill, but fermented with a Belgian yeast strain that end up making it a totally different beer.

Hop Stoopid and Hairy Eyeball are my current favorites from Lagunitas. And they got high marks from me for honoring Frank Zappa with a fine slate of beers named after his first 5 albums. I was sad when Gail decided not to do any more beers after Reuben and the Jets came out.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 03:12 AM)
I ordered an Allagash White at dinner tonight, but they were out of it. I was pretty disappointed since I thought it would be cool to try my 1st new beer from this list.

Nothing better than an Allagash White on draft, not sure where you are located, but it is pretty prevalent in Chicago

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Yeah they carried other Three Floyd's beers, but the Gumballhead was not there. They carried a bunch of the other Bell's beers as well, but were out of the two hearted ale. Bad luck I guess.

Had a Bell's Two Hearted last night at the new bar/restaurant Three Aces on Taylor, good stuff. Three Aces was very good as well, some interesting items on their menu with an up and coming chef

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
I found another superb IPA. Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale. Very tasty.

Lagunitas is my favorite brewery. Because they distribute several of their beers to my area and each one has been equally delicious. Their Brown Shugga' made it to my top 10 list.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
The last week, I tried:

Sam Adams Winter Lager

Smithwick's

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Hoegaarden

Just cracked open my 1st Hoegaarden and I'm not a big fan thus far. Just seems really bland. But I'll have another before I make a final judgement. The other 3 I really enjoyed, especially the Dead Guy Ale.

I tried it last night and loved it. It tastes like what Blue Moon was going for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
I tried it last night and loved it. It tastes like what Blue Moon was going for.

That sums it up perfectly. Blue Moon is a decent enough approximation of a Belgian wit from an American mega but there's nothing like the real thing.

As much as I laud and love the Hoegarden, right now I'm totally loving the draft Blanche de Bruxelles ("Mannekin Pis"). I'll always hold Hoegarden in highest regard as THE brewery that revived the witbier style, but damn if the Blanche doesn't edge it out by just a bit. A little more complexity and depth I think, with a bit more of spice burst — although I have yet to find a local beer bar that has them both on tap for an honest side-by-side comparison.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)

There are a lot of Belgian Whites out there, and some are better than others. I think Hoegarden is probably the best, maybe because it's the original. Blue Moon is a decent beer, and I rate it pretty high (probably higher than it should be).

I still say if you can find Hoegaarden on draft, you'll be hooked.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
I still say if you can find Hoegaarden on draft, you'll be hooked.

:headbang

Try to have the draft Blanch side-by-side against the Hoegarden and I'll do the. Same. That comparison is a conversation worth having here I think.