SOXTALK NOV/DEC '10 LIST

knightni

This is fun.

I do recall G+T saying the cranberry lambic had been overhauled. I guess I'll have to chance another one.

Lindenans kreik is nice and their framboise is great when you are in the mood for light and fruity without it being cloying. Their renee cuvee geuzue is wonderfully tart. Given the choice I would take Cantilon's Gussie over Lindeman's, but it is almost unheard of down here.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't drink beer during the week. I tend to hold off until thr weekend, but this list and these discussions are making me lean towards having one tonight. I have about 3 or 4 in the fridge that I've never had before, so maybe I partake and rate it. Besides, there is a football game on tonight. I think it's a requirement to drink a beer while watching football.

The list has been well worth the wait so far. I kind of fear what is still to come. The only ones I have tried from the list so far are Smithwicks, Red Stripe, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. The only one that was on my list was Smithwicks. Cherry Wheat is a bad choice from the Sam Adams lineup, as they have much better beers. I'm sure there will be more Sam Adams beers on the list though.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
The list has been well worth the wait so far. I kind of fear what is still to come. The only ones I have tried from the list so far are Smithwicks, Red Stripe, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. The only one that was on my list was Smithwicks. Cherry Wheat is a bad choice from the Sam Adams lineup, as they have much better beers. I'm sure there will be more Sam Adams beers on the list though.

In my opinion, Sam Adams Black Lager is one of their best available year round. I've only tried it a few times, but the Latitude 48 IPA is quite good, too. Their Winter Lager is very good, but my favorite of their seasonals is the Octoberfest. That's just autumn in a pint glass.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
This is one I'm very interested to try. Let me know what you think, as someone who hasn't had it before...

I just had one for the first time about two-three weeks ago. Not bad actually, not as hyped up as a buddy of mine was putting it, but it ain't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
This is one I'm very interested to try. Let me know what you think, as someone who hasn't had it before...

Very good wheat beer. Nothing overly special, but very delicious. You get that citrus flavor but with a nice bitter aftertaste that isn't too overwhelming. Hoppier than a normal wheat beer. Reminds me of a stronger Goose Island 312. But seriously, the smell of this beer out of the bottle is intoxicating.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
I'll throw this in too: does anyone know where the hell I can get some Goose Island Bourbon Country Stout? I want to get some for my roommate's birthday but I can't find it anywhere.

That's stuff used to be everywhere in Chicago until this year.

Oktoberfest and Winter Lager are the two Sam Adams seasonals that are consistently very good and the ones I make sure to try every year when they show up. If they didn't make it so hard to find Old Fezziwig outside of the stupid holiday 12-packs I would probably have that on the favorite seasonal list as well.

i was lucky enough to score a bottle of Sam Adams Infinium this year and I am looking forward to sharing that with the wife on New Years Eve.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
Oktoberfest and Winter Lager are the two Sam Adams seasonals that are consistently very good and the ones I make sure to try every year when they show up. If they didn't make it so hard to find Old Fezziwig outside of the stupid holiday 12-packs I would probably have that on the favorite seasonal list as well.

i was lucky enough to score a bottle of Sam Adams Infinium this year and I am looking forward to sharing that with the wife on New Years Eve.

Winter Lager is delicious

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
I think that I may throw some more onto the list tonight.

I think that having the list right before New Years Eve is actually a good idea.

I don't know, it almost sounds like a challenge to Rowand44 to drink one of each New Year's Eve if you do that. We don't want to kill him.

Woohoo! I tried 4 of the last 5 on the list.

I'm a huge fan of Oberon. Had that near the top of my list. Being so close to Bell's Brewery in Michigan, I drink a lot of their beers. Oberon is a go-to in the summer.

I haven't had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in quite some time, but I wasn't a huge fan when I tried it. Too bitter for my tastes, but I'll give it a whirl again.

Stella is one of my favorites, I think that was top 5 for me. I have an odd love of that beer. It's skunkiness keeps a lot of people away, but it's a staple of Belgian lagers.

And for f***'s sake.......Corona!?!?!? Why would anyone EVER drink that unless forced to do so? It's bottom-shelf crap even in Mexico.

Sigh. I agree about Corona. But, as I mentioned before, I can respect others' opinions about beer. To me, Corona is strictly a summer beer...that someone else bought.

The first time I tried Stella, I had purchased a Taste of Belgium mix pack. It had Stella, Leffe, and Hoegaarden (yum). I wasn't blown away by Stella, but I've since grown to appreciate it more. It's a beer that's is better on draft.

Love Oberon. A delicious summer wheat ale with a little bit of spice to it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
I don't know, it almost sounds like a challenge to Rowand44 to drink one of each New Year's Eve if you do that. We don't want to kill him.

Maybe if you or Steve actually leave your house on NYE and buy me a few with the millions of dollars you guys make.

On topic though, I've only tried like 4 of these so far, I have a lot of work to do apparently. And I assume Keystone is going to be number 1?