SOXTALK NOV/DEC '10 LIST

knightni

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I don't get that. I figured it was my favorite beers, not my favorite beers that can be found at 7-11.

Yeah, but there is a reasonable compromise that I think a lot of the participants also understand. Two of my favorite beer experiences were drinking a 1986 Silver Anniversary Thomas Hardy Ale that had been cellared for 11 years and drinking a fresh-off-the-boat unfiltered Aventinus Bavarian wheat doppelbock gravity-poured from a wooden cask. Also up there is a Greene-King Olde Suffolk cask ale I had in a pub in Bath both on the day it was tapped and then two days later after the perfect amount of oxidization had worked its magic on the live real ale.

Now I'm pretty sure those are beer experiences unique to me, and many other posters probably have similar experiences in their personal top beer lists. But if we all populated our lists with those sorts of picks there wouldn't be a whole lot of commonality to the lists and not much to talk about.

My thoughts anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
I don't get that. I figured it was my favorite beers, not my favorite beers that can be found at 7-11.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Why not? Every time Knight makes one of these lists, it's for popular things that are likely to have many of the same answers so we can create a legit Top 10 or 20 list. If everyone makes lists of beers that no one else is going to have, but you happen to love it and it's from some small brewery, then how the heck are we going to make a Top 10 list? I guess it would only take 2 or 3 people to have the same beer to get it into the Top 5/10.

I mean, I really like a few SweetWater beers (SweetWater Blue would make my Top 20), but I'm not going to include it on my list b/c I don't think you can find that in Chicago (where many of the people on here are from) or many other places outside the Southeast.

Also, I really liked the Dark Lord Imperial Stout (Three Floyds Brewing Co.) when I had one last year and it was probably one of the best 20 beers I've ever had, but I wouldn't include it on my list b/c no one else would. What's the point of making a joint top beer list if everyone's top beers are different? There would be no consensus.

^^^

I beasically limited mine to beers I felt were distributed widely enough that any poster would have had a chance to try it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
^^^

I beasically limited mine to beers I felt were distributed widely enough that any poster would have had a chance to try it.

I didn't go quite that broad, but I mostly tried to adhere to that sort of rule of thumb while still having my picks reflect what I believe are excellent beers.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:02 AM)
^^^

I could see saying that they should be beers available in the Chicago area - but of course, most beers are, even the ones that you don't find at the corner bar.

Using that rule, I'd have to eliminate one beer from my list, but that's it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm really surprised by the number of beer snobs here. I don't mean snob in a bad sense, but I only know a couple of people like that in real life.

Define beer snob though. I mean if I'm at a bar/club i'll drink regular stuff. Or if i'm buying bulk i'll go cheap (real cheap). But if i'm having a beer with dinner or a six pack on a sunday just to chill I'm gonna buy something that actually tastes good.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Sounds like I am in the minority here, but for the most part every beer on my list is pretty well known and widely available. I occasionally try the special obscure craft beer or whatever, but those aren't beers that I would choose to drink on a regular basis.

With a couple exceptions, I'm pretty sure most on my list are widely available.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm really surprised by the number of beer snobs here. I don't mean snob in a bad sense, but I only know a couple of people like that in real life.

I know what you mean. I used to be like you, did not like beer at all, only ordered Bud Light or whatever at the bar. When I moved, the friends I made happened to be beer snobs. You just need to taste a beer that actually has flavor, and you might be converted.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Define beer snob though. I mean if I'm at a bar/club i'll drink regular stuff. Or if i'm buying bulk i'll go cheap (real cheap). But if i'm having a beer with dinner or a six pack on a sunday just to chill I'm gonna buy something that actually tastes good.

I'll define it. Snobs won't let the bartender or server pour a belgian beer because he knows they won't do it right. Yes, that's me. I want the yeast at the bottom, and these people won't swirl and pour it.

Also, I will not order a macro unless I'm not paying. Free beer can be any beer, but if I'm paying for it, it has to be decent.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
I know what you mean. I used to be like you, did not like beer at all, only ordered Bud Light or whatever at the bar. When I moved, the friends I made happened to be beer snobs. You just need to taste a beer that actually has flavor, and you might be converted.

I have tried various beers. It's just something about the basic properties of beer that doesn't agree with my taste buds.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)

In that case, you probably wouldn't be a beer snob by my standards.

To be fair, a great many of my favorite beers are widely available and totally acceptable to most beer drinkers. My Thanksgiving family camping trip is coming up and the beers in tow will be Sierra Pale, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Hoegarden, Newcastle Brown, and Pilsner Urquell. Not a snooty beer in the bunch imo, and as widely available as they all are I think they all rate as world-class beers.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
I have purchased so much Miller High Life in my life, there is no way I could leave it off a list. Now, it has probably been 20 years since I have, but still . . .

:headbang Not on my list, but I just liked your comment here...