SOXTALK NOV/DEC '10 LIST

knightni

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 03:35 AM)
You haven't seen anything yet, Slav. I'm not a beer drinker and there are a couple more questionable choices coming up.

I swear, if Bud Light Lime makes the list, something bad will happen to Tim Tebow. :lol:

This list is going to make me thirsty! Gumballhead is one of my favorites. It's the wheat beer of wheat beers. I reviewed it at Rate Beer and gave it a 3.7/5. Straw-colored with a fine white head. Powerful aroma of banana, bubblegum, and spice. Lively and spicy on the palate. Leads to a very tasty wheat beer. Malt, yeast, bubblegum, and pepper. Slightly bitter aftertaste. A delicious wheat beer.

I agree about Red Stripe. What the hell? But, like knight said, you haven't seen anything. There are some odd choices on there. However, people have different tastes in beer. I've had people try a beer that I thought was fantastic and they did everything to keep from vomiting. I'm a beer snob, but I'll drink Miller Lite at a party, and in the summer I have no problem picking up a 6-pack of it for chuggers after cutting the grass.

It worries me that as the rankings get higher, the BA ratings get lower.

Gumballhead is a beer that I have wanted for years now, and it's never around when I'm in Chicago. And I feel the sudden need to give Smithwicks another shot. That history lesson intrigues me.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
It worries me that as the rankings get higher, the BA ratings get lower.

Gumballhead is a beer that I have wanted for years now, and it's never around when I'm in Chicago. And I feel the sudden need to give Smithwicks another shot. That history lesson intrigues me.

Smithwicks and Gumball Head are definitely worth it. I haven't had the Goose Island example from the list, its seasonal and I've just never tried it. And Red Stripe is something I'd avoid. Shiner Bock is decent.

I'm hoping for some more obscure stuff on the list though, that I haven't tried.

Just had a Rogue Dead Guy Maibock last night, hadn't had that one before - I liked it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Smithwicks and Gumball Head are definitely worth it. I haven't had the Goose Island example from the list, its seasonal and I've just never tried it. And Red Stripe is something I'd avoid. Shiner Bock is decent.

I'm hoping for some more obscure stuff on the list though, that I haven't tried.

Just had a Rogue Dead Guy Maibock last night, hadn't had that one before - I liked it.

I think honorable mentions will be the more obscure beers. I had the Swithwicks in college but I wasn't a discerning beer drinker at that time.

Smithwicks is good. Apparently a true black and tan is made with Smithwicks and Guinness...probably because they're both brewed by the same company. I've had black and tans made with Harp, Bass, and Smithwicks, and I'll say that it is pretty damn good with the Smithwicks.

There are so many beers out there, and you can find pretty good selections at places like Binny's. But, it amazes me how many there are that I've never heard of. I've reviewed almost 400 beers at Rate Beer, and there are people on there that have reviewed over 5000. 5000 different beers? Wow.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Smithwicks is good. Apparently a true black and tan is made with Smithwicks and Guinness...probably because they're both brewed by the same company. I've had black and tans made with Harp, Bass, and Smithwicks, and I'll say that it is pretty damn good with the Smithwicks.

There are so many beers out there, and you can find pretty good selections at places like Binny's. But, it amazes me how many there are that I've never heard of. I've reviewed almost 400 beers at Rate Beer, and there are people on there that have reviewed over 5000. 5000 different beers? Wow.

My understanding is that a Black & Tan is still the same Guiness and Bass, but that in Ireland they typically drink a Half 7 Half which is all Irish - Guiness and Harp. I've never heard of Smithwicks being used.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
My understanding is that a Black & Tan is still the same Guiness and Bass, but that in Ireland they typically drink a Half 7 Half which is all Irish - Guiness and Harp. I've never heard of Smithwicks being used.

You're right about a black and tan in the US. However: In the Republic of Ireland a Black and Tan is normally made from a half pint of Smithwick's topped off with Guinness. This version is also sometimes referred to as a "Blacksmith" or a "Light and Bitter". During the summer months stout drinkers may order a black and tan due to its lighter texture. Likewise ale drinkers may order a Smithwick's with a Guinness head. This is an ordinary pint of Smithwick's with the last inch or so topped off with Guinness. That was taken from Wikipedia. Before reading this, I was going by what someone told me (an owner of an Irish pub), and it made sense to me since Smithwicks and Guinness are both brewed by Guinness.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
For all of the people up north who have never tried, Shiner is a great, great beer.

I've had Shiner's Bock, Hefeweizen, Blonde, and Black Lager. I thought they were al decent, but the Bock is one of my favorites. Smooth, easy to drink, and pretty tasty.

New Belgium's 1554 is insanely good. I personally gave it a 3.9/5 on Rate Beer. It's so easy to drink and has fantastic flavors. Bittersweet chocolate and coffee.

Spotted Cow is one of my favorites. I think one reason why I like it so much is that it's only available in Wisconsin. So, I don't spoil it by drinking it all the time. I'm in Wisconsin 4 or 5 times a year, mainly for my daughters' Irish Dancing, so I'll drink it on tap up there and take home a 12-pack. I'm counting down the days until I can partake...only 2 weeks from Friday.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
New Belgium's 1554 is insanely good. I personally gave it a 3.9/5 on Rate Beer. It's so easy to drink and has fantastic flavors. Bittersweet chocolate and coffee.

Spotted Cow is one of my favorites. I think one reason why I like it so much is that it's only available in Wisconsin. So, I don't spoil it by drinking it all the time. I'm in Wisconsin 4 or 5 times a year, mainly for my daughters' Irish Dancing, so I'll drink it on tap up there and take home a 12-pack. I'm counting down the days until I can partake...only 2 weeks from Friday.

If it's insanely good, why only a 3.9/5?

I've never had the Allagash White, I might have to try that.

Haven't had the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat either, but don't plan to. I've never had a fruit beer or lambic that I actually liked.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Here's a hint from the top 10-15:

e00fe873dc61df7ae6107d741a9d5d55c19f8645

ugh.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
If it's insanely good, why only a 3.9/5?

I should have elaborated. The scoring is broken down by aroma, appearance, palate, flavor, and overall. Then the site gives a score on a scale of 0-5. The way it works out, even the beers with the absolute best average score are about 4.2 or so. The highest rating I've given a beer is 4.1...and I think that was Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Hooray Beer!

I could write for an hour just on the 10 beers that have been posted, but I will spare you. I will admit that two of the best regarded beers on the list (Gumballhead and 1554) are beers I have yet to try but am dying to. New Belgium's stuff is supposed to be gradually rolling out in Florida this year starting with Fat Tire and then others, so hopefully 1554 will be close behind.

Grandiose phrases like "the beer that reinvented the American wheat beer style" in reference to Gumballhead have me very eager to taste that one. American wheat ale has traditionally been one of the least satisfying corners of the craft beer world with a few notable exceptions (Bell's Oberon, Goose Island 312, and especially the basically extinct Bert Grant's Wheat).

Three Floyd's Spotted Cow is one I have had and really like. Made it to Geneva this Summer to see family and made a point of drinking my share of Spotted Cow.

The general negativity toward Red Stripe is not misplaced. I will drink Red Stripe before drinking almost any domestic adjunct lager but it is not a great beer. As far as Caribbean lagers, a few years ago I would have put Kalik (Bahamas) at the top of the list, but tasting the beer recently I'm convinced they have modified the recipe and the current product is not as good as it once was. For me, Red Stripe gets high marks for the stubby bottles, the "Hooray Beer" ads that crack me up, and the fact that you can combine equal parts Red Stripe and J Wray and Nephew overproof rum and actually arrive at an interesting and drinkable (if rough-edged) cocktail that is a regular feature at some Jamaican bars.

Allagash White is a fantastic beer. I'd still rank it as my go-to favorite domestic witbier interpretation. That title used to belong to Celis until the Miller takeover and brewery closing. Allagash didn't make my top 20 but is easily a top 50 for me.

Smithwick's is decent enough that if I see it o tap at a bar or restaurant I know I won't have to beer slum. It seems to be a fairly faithful interpretation of an Irish Red Ale relative to low hopping rates and an emphasis on malt sweetness (moreso than British bitter) with a good dose of crystal/caramel malt in the grain bill. I can't help but feel the bottled version is way overcarbonated for the style though. The nitrogen draught system attenuates this a bit in the tap version, but I think more authenticity as achieved by pouring a botle and letting the glass stand to offgas and warm a bit before drinking.

I'll happily drink a Shiner Bock and enjoy it in and of itself, but I think it's a weak interpretation of the style, both from a strength and malt accent standpoint.

Goose Island Harvest is solid.

Rogue Dead Guy is a beer I really love, but I totally don't buy the maibock style the brewery states they are brewing to. The malt varieties are all pretty traditional European and the hops work for lagers and ales, but, for me, once you opt for a warm, top-fermenting ale years like Rogues Pacman, you are brewing an ale regardless of the malt, hops, and water you are using. To me, the yeast defines the broad category. Those quibbles aside, Dead Guy is excellent. When I can get it, the sedimented, bottle-conditioned Rogue XS version is a treat. The XS Old Crustacean Barleywine, btw, is definitely worth trying.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
I've never had the Allagash White, I might have to try that.

Haven't had the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat either, but don't plan to. I've never had a fruit beer or lambic that I actually liked.

Yes, seek out the Allagash.

It has been years and years since I had the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat when it first came out, and that is because I found it to be utterly undrinkable. That and the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic are the worst thigs I've ever had from them. I should try the cherry wheat again to determine if they have changed the recipe, because I cant imagine it can be the same drek as the original recipe based on all the people who enjoy this beer.

I very much enjoy traditional Belgian fruit lambics ad well as non-fruit guezue lambic. Don't dismiss these entirely based on one or two samplings — especially if the fruit beers you have had have been mostly bad American examples.

I've enjoyed Sam Adams Cherry Wheat in the past, but I haven't had it in a few years. Unlike some other fruit beers, the cherry didn't dominate. Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is a good example of fruit overpowering a beer. Way too sweet.

The Cranberry Lambic, however, is damn near a drain pour for me. Last time I tried it I tasted almost a spoiled flavor. I haven't had it since.

I've tried one Lindemans Kriek cherry lambic, and I thought it was quite good. Sweet, but not overpowering. Still not a beer I could drink a lot of.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
I've enjoyed Sam Adams Cherry Wheat in the past, but I haven't had it in a few years. Unlike some other fruit beers, the cherry didn't dominate. Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is a good example of fruit overpowering a beer. Way too sweet.

The Cranberry Lambic, however, is damn near a drain pour for me. Last time I tried it I tasted almost a spoiled flavor. I haven't had it since.

I've tried one Lindemans Kriek cherry lambic, and I thought it was quite good. Sweet, but not overpowering. Still not a beer I could drink a lot of.

I mentioned this months ago but I think the cranberry lambic has been redone. It used to be a total mess but is now a decent mass produced lambic. I find the cherry wheat to be a drain pour, however.