Sox Listening on Gavin?

DirtySox

Floyd will cost another team a lot and it could be a good time to deal him. Maybe you get burned and he puts it all together like he does 2 months a season, or maybe he is what he is with potential injury ramifications. He finished 2009 hurt. He finished 2010 with a sore shoulder and out.

If you trade him, chances are on June 1, 2011 you will think you robbed the other team as his ERA will probably be hovering around 6.00. Then the next 2 months he'll look like they should just put in in the HOF right then and you'll be pissed they moved him. Then he will get fairly mediocre again and perhaps come up lame with something finishing with fairly respectable numbers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
lmao. Kevin Towers would have to enter the witness protection program if that's all he could net for Upton.

I'd be dissapointed if the Sox gave that up for Upton. Upton might be talented, but lets not pretend he doesn't have some issues and lets not pretend as if Floyd doesn't have significant trade value. And yes, I am a huge Gavin Floyd fan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I'd be dissapointed if the Sox gave that up for Upton. Upton might be talented, but lets not pretend he doesn't have some issues and lets not pretend as if Floyd doesn't have significant trade value. And yes, I am a huge Gavin Floyd fan.

I agree with you. Gavin isn't an ideal number 1 starter or anything, but he is a quality starter. If I'm giving up a quality major league starter I would at least like to get back a position player with a little consistancy. Justin Upton could be a star, but he could also be a major bust. Upton compares to Carlos Quentin in that category.

Would you trade Gavin Floyd for Carlos Quentin if he were on another team?

From your Morning Phil in Chicago Tribune today:

2. Are the White Sox willing to trade pitching to create some payroll flexibility? That seems to be the case, with Gavin Floyd's name making the rounds at the GM meetings Wednesday. The Colorado Rockies are among the teams with a reported interest in Floyd. They have two pieces the White Sox are missing -- a young catcher with power in Chris Iannetta and a left-handed-hitting third baseman in Ian Stewart. The Sox would try to interest Colorado in utility man Mark Teahen and reliever Scott Linebrink.

I hope we don't start tearing down our strengths. Floyd is a great talent and we look at someone else's youth especially at catcher, which makes you wonder if the Sox have given up on Flowers? I would rather they trade Peavy, who has been a dismal flop with injuries and is iffy in a return. But, of course no one would be willing to take that chance I am sure

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
From your Morning Phil in Chicago Tribune today:

2. Are the White Sox willing to trade pitching to create some payroll flexibility? That seems to be the case, with Gavin Floyd's name making the rounds at the GM meetings Wednesday. The Colorado Rockies are among the teams with a reported interest in Floyd. They have two pieces the White Sox are missing -- a young catcher with power in Chris Iannetta and a left-handed-hitting third baseman in Ian Stewart. The Sox would try to interest Colorado in utility man Mark Teahen and reliever Scott Linebrink.

I hope we don't start tearing down our strengths. Floyd is a great talent and we look at someone else's youth especially at catcher, which makes you wonder if the Sox have given up on Flowers? I would rather they trade Peavy, who has been a dismal flop with injuries and is iffy in a return. But, of course no one would be willing to take that chance I am sure

If we could move Floyd and Teahen/Linebrink for Ianetta and Stewart, I am in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
If we could move Floyd and Teahen/Linebrink for Ianetta and Stewart, I am in.

Yeah, I love Floyd but I don't think there's any way you could turn that down. You have Ianetta for 2 seasons (and perhaps 3 if he doesn't turn down his option in 2013) and Stewart is under control for like 4-5 years, plus you end up freeing anywhere from $6-8 million. I'd also assume you could play Stewart anywhere from 3B to 1B to RF, depending on who or what the Sox want to do.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
Yeah, I love Floyd but I don't think there's any way you could turn that down. You have Ianetta for 2 seasons (and perhaps 3 if he doesn't turn down his option in 2013) and Stewart is under control for like 4-5 years, plus you end up freeing anywhere from $6-8 million. I'd also assume you could play Stewart anywhere from 3B to 1B to RF, depending on who or what the Sox want to do.

I think a more realistic package would be something like Fowler, Ianetta, and maybe a bullpen arm for Floyd and a couple B level spects.