Nobody is talking about this

Real

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
Inverted W + Limited IP in his college career + Small frame + high 90's FB = blown UCL before August?

The way it's going, he'll start in AAA, and Freddy will be the #5 SP again til Peavy returns.

PS - Outside of the W comment, it sounded like Lincecum.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Inverted W + Limited IP in his college career + Small frame + high 90's FB = blown UCL before August?

The risk of an injury for him has been talked about a ton actually and at this point he's still more likely to be in the bullpen than the rotation.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 05:07 AM)

I think we're all just hoping that if no one talks about it, it won't happen. Thanks for ruining a good thing!

I love Sale as the closer and I think it should stay that way.

My biggest concern is trading Danks or Floyd and then having to rely on a healthy Peavy in the playoffs if we get there. At least if we keep them and Peavy fractures his left nostril playing peek-a-boo with the meter maid we can still go to war with Floyd/Danks/Jackson/Buerhle in an order depending on who is hot at the time.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
I think that one of our starters gets traded and moving Sale to the rotation is in anticipation of that move.

If we trade SP we had better damn well get pitching in return. And MLB-ready pitching at that. MLB-ready SP especially, and if it's Danks or Floyd that guy better have a ceiling of a top-end starter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
I think Sale is much more valuable to the bullpen at the moment. He's likely to hurt himself as a starter. Plus, if Putz isn't back, he'd have to be the setup man or closer.

This seems to be an unpopular opinion on the board right now, but I agree 100%. He has plenty of time to prove his draft status as a starter. Right now this team can use him as a reliever, especially since the top guy in the pen is a lefty as well. I'm sure it would be better for his arm too.

I like Sale in the rotation...make a small deal with Philly and get someone like Antonio Bastardo to take Sale's place in the pen.

I believe great pitchers should be starters and Sale looks like a great one. If he's in Chicago I hope he starts, but I believe he'll begin in the pen or AAA...we'd have 3 lefties ... Sale, Burls, Danks. Im cool with that.

My gut tells me KW will pencil him for the bullpen. I think he knows the importance of quality arms in the bullpen, which are not a commodity in baseball. With Peavy out for awhile I think he relies on Freddy for a bit.

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Jackson

Garcia/Peavy

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
I like Sale in the rotation...make a small deal with Philly and get someone like Antonio Bastardo to take Sale's place in the pen.

I believe great pitchers should be starters and Sale looks like a great one. If he's in Chicago I hope he starts, but I believe he'll begin in the pen or AAA...we'd have 3 lefties ... Sale, Burls, Danks. Im cool with that.

+1

At most I'd keep Sale in the bullpen for 1 more year if team needs really require it, but you can't just preemptively start moving quality young pitching from the rotation to the bullpen just b/c of some vague injury concerns. Anyone can get injured. If he's a starter let him start.

One thing worth noting...Sale has pitched about 160-ish innings each of the past 2 years. If he's in the bullpen, that backs off to 60-70. The general rule is that pitchers seem to get hurt a lot more if they jump by more than 25 innings/year (the Verducci effect). Putting him in the bullpen could set back his development in terms of throwing innings by a fair amount.

If you put him in the bullpen, you better be ready to keep him there, because there's a 50/50 shot he'll never leave.