Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Jayson Werth?

That s*** happens early. Same thing with Soriano when he signed his deal. Same thing with Torii Hunter. Guys sign early for megabucks and teams blow their wads and then suddenly nobody has any money anymore. The #1 and #2 options get their money but Pena isn't in that category IMO.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Paulie has every right to make a power play here, it doesn't mean we have play it with him. I say we set a price, a deadline, and bide our time.

This.

I love me some Paulie, but I had reservations at 12 per... 15 is just insane given his age and likely production. There are other options at 1B.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
He hasn't hit over .250 in three seasons and his average has gone down each of the past 3 seasons with last year being a putrid season with a low OPS and low average. I think OPS is an important stat but I'm not going to ignore the fact that we already have one guy in our lineup that produces at a low average and I don't want two of those guys. His decline has more to do with him getting off the juice. His WAR has been 3.

I'll take Lee, Konerko, and LaRoche over him any day of the week.

Yeah, I was not really keen on the steroid whispers. If that's the case, by all means, pass. I guess I was just trying to make it clear that I wouldn't rule him out because of the low average and strikeouts alone. I don't really care how you get on base, as long as you do it at a reasonable clip and you hit for some pop. He has done so over the course of his career.

Again, if that is because of the juice, then forget it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm not so sure about that. Jerry's been involved in this thing since it's started and he's known both as a firm negotiator and a loyal guy. I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox started right around $11-12M and put a cap on it at $13M. IIRC the figures in the Ben Gordon and Luol Deng extensions pretty much stayed where they were, with JR making what he thought was a fair, loyal offer but refusing to go much above it.

The wildcard here is what the O's are offering IMO. If they're well ahead of the Sox then PK is in no position to turn that down and look to make up for it in his next contract.

I don't think he goes to the O's unless the offer is far above the Sox and D-Backs. I'd guess its a question of playing near home and family versus the franchise he knows and can win now. And that is a tough call, if the money is very similar.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
I don't think he goes to the O's unless the offer is far above the Sox and D-Backs. I'd guess its a question of playing near home and family versus the franchise he knows and can win now. And that is a tough call, if the money is very similar.

I agree. He'd have to have a Jeter like deal (51/3, option for 4th) on the table from Baltimore to consider it. Doesn't mean he can't use a modest offer as leverage though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)

I agree, but I do think if the O's or D'Backs or whoever else want to go 4 years then PK is probably gone. I think he's loyal, but he has to be looking at this as his final contract.

I'm sure Paulie's agent knows by now how far he can stretch Jerry's leash. I'm sure the final offer is already out there considering how open the Sox have been about the whole process.

I love PK for everything he has ever done for the Sox. At the end of the year we thought he might be worth bringing back for 2 yrs at about 20-22mil per. That is an already steep price to pay for a guy who is already 34 coming off a career year. Bringing in DLee on a 1 yr 7mil deal gives flexibility for Viciedo to continue his development, gives us financial flexibility to bring in bullpen help, get 2 draft picks when he goes elsewhere. The smart move is to pass on PK.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Yeah, I was not really keen on the steroid whispers. If that's the case, by all means, pass. I guess I was just trying to make it clear that I wouldn't rule him out because of the low average and strikeouts alone. I don't really care how you get on base, as long as you do it at a reasonable clip and you hit for some pop. He has done so over the course of his career.

Again, if that is because of the juice, then forget it.

I should point out, I fall on the other side. I can accept a low average if you absolutely mash consistently done and have the right lineup around that one clodder, but adding in Pena along with Dunn to me is where I draw the line. And I realize we aren't talking about a ton of hits, but I think the lower average you hit the easier you tend to be to get out in situations where you have to go up against a tough pitcher (think post-season or late game situations).

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
I doubt it. The O's low-balled Dunn (reportedly $10-11M/year, I believe), so I doubt they're offering $15M/year to Konerko.

Dunn isn't a 1B though.

They're the Orioles, who knows. One wouldn't think they'd want to offer a bunch of money to him but one wouldn't have figured the Tigers to throw mountains of cash at IRoid and the Venezuelan Piece of s*** several years ago either, and that kind of worked out for them... for a while.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
Source says #WhiteSox aren't only team to make multi-year offer to Paul Konerko. Deal likely won't be wrapped up today. - Jon Morosi

Not really news, I think its been publically stated that a few teams have made offers, and I doubt any of them were 1 year deals.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
Dunn isn't a 1B though.

They're the Orioles, who knows. One wouldn't think they'd want to offer a bunch of money to him but one wouldn't have figured the Tigers to throw mountains of cash at IRoid and the Venezuelan Piece of s*** several years ago either, and that kind of worked out for them... for a while.

Unless the Orioles are thinking they are in the Central division, I don't see them spending money unless it's on a player they really like. Konerko is probably a guy they like, but not at his age. They'll lowball him and hope he takes it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Not really news, I think its been publically stated that a few teams have made offers, and I doubt any of them were 1 year deals.

Not that many teams are in on OK, seriously, where else is he going to go? No big market teams have room or the money for him other than possibly the Angels to split 1B and DH and the free spending Nats. Most of the mid to small market teams I just can't see throwing 15 million a year his way.

My guess is that the Dbacks offered 3/30, and Konerko wants to stay down there near his family.

Sox will probably offer 3/35, and he'll be hesitant because of family.

KW gets tired of waiting, signs DLee at 1/6.5 with incentives.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
Dunn isn't a 1B though.

I know Dunn and Konerko are different players. But unless the O's value Konerko way more than Dunn (seems unlikely), the O's reported offer to Dunn tells me they're not throwing around the type of money they'd need to throw around to land a major free agent. The O's don't really worry me here.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
My guess is that the Dbacks offered 3/30, and Konerko wants to stay down there near his family.

Plus it allows you in on next year's 1B free agent frenzy. With the Red Sox and Yanks both with top notch 1B, anything is possible in relation to getting Fielder or maybe even Pujols.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)

I'd be perfectly happy with this, especially if the savings are used to bolster the bullpen (Kerry Wood, etc.).