White Sox could be top 5 payroll team in 2011

joeynach

My calculations have the White Sox committed at $92.55M to 15 players for 2011.

This includes: Buehrle (14M) + Peavy (16M) + Jackson (8.35M) + Floyd (5M) + Thornton (3M) + Castro (1.2M) + AJ (2M) + Vizquel (1.75M) + Viciedo (1.25M) + Ramirez (2.75M) + Teahen (4.75M) + Rios (12M) + Pierre (8.5M) + Dunn (12M)

This does not include arbitration eligibility for Quentin (4.5M estimate), Danks (5.5M estimate), Pena (2.5M estimate).

This does not include team controlled salaries for Sale (400K estimate ), Morel (400K estimate), Santos (400K estimate), Lillibridge (400K estimate), and Beckham (600K estimate).

This includes the break even money coming in for Pierre (+3.5M) and the money going out for Linebrink (-3.5M).

2011 Payroll Commitments + Estimations = $107.25 (23 Players)

Now add in Konerko (12M estimate) and Putz/New Bullpen Arm (5M estimate) and you are at $124.25M!

In terms of 2010 a payroll of about $125M would be 6th highest in all of baseball. The 3rd and 5th teams (Cubs, Mets) payrolls are slated to come way down this year. Therefore the sox could easily be a top 5 payroll team for 2011. Wow pretty impressive, Im not sure a lot of us saw this coming.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
I have a slight worrisome feeling that the extra money might be coming from Peavy's insurance...

Lol, never thought about that. It would be interesting to try and find that out. I remember a conversation from last year, cant remember if its was here or on 670 The Score, but I recall a fair amount of certainty that the sox were getting a good insurance payment on Peavy. I think this is a good topic to get Boers and Bernstein on, they would get to the bottom of this.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:49 AM)
Lol, never thought about that. It would be interesting to try and find that out. I remember a conversation from last year, cant remember if its was here or on 670 The Score, but I recall a fair amount of certainty that the sox were getting a good insurance payment on Peavy. I think this is a good topic to get Boers and Bernstein on, they would get to the bottom of this.

I don't think they got any money last year. But if Peavy doesn't pitch this next year, they could be getting a decent amount of insurance money back.

The White Sox got back $4-4.5 million for David Wells in 2001 and he pitched over 100 innings that year.

I think the insurance payouts have changed greatly though....I wonder how much the insurance outlay would be for the contracts of Konerko, Dunn, Rios, Peavy and Buehrle on a yearly basis. Certainly not cheap.

After the Konerko signing our team payroll stands at $104.55M. Still need to sign Danks, Pena, Quentin, Beckham, Morel, Sale, New Bullpen Arm(s).

I think whats very interesting is that this going for it attitude is defiantly for 2011 and 2012. Sox also have 81.5M committed to 2012, that number drops to 38 for 2013 so the window of opportunity for this core of players is this year and next.

Edited by joeynach

Danks - 3.45M, Pena - 1.2M, Quentin - 3.2M all due for raises. Can someone predict what kind of numbers we're looking at as far as their salaries in 2011?

For argument sake I have all three making 11M in 2011.

Morel, Sale and Beckham will make close to league minimum. Not much money there. probably around 1.5M.

That gives you a payroll of 117M+ without spending anything on the bullpen! Feel free to correct my estimates. I have only basic knowledge on how this works.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
After the Konerko signing our team payroll stands at $104.55M. Still need to sign Danks, Pena, Quentin, Beckham, Morel, Sale, New Bullpen Arm(s).

I think whats very interesting is that this going for it attitude is defiantly for 2011 and 2012. Sox also have 81.5M committed to 2012, that number drops to 38 for 2013 so the window of opportunity for this core of players is this year and next.

No, I'm pretty sure that their attitude is aimed towards 2011 and 2012, not against it.

I normally don't care about grammar and spelling, but when you misspell a word (definitely) so badly that you actually create a word that has a totally opposite meaning (defiantly), then something needs to be said.

So in the future - definitely = definitely; defiantly ≠ definitely

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Danks - 3.45M, Pena - 1.2M, Quentin - 3.2M all due for raises. Can someone predict what kind of numbers we're looking at as far as their salaries in 2011?

For argument sake I have all three making 11M in 2011.

Morel, Sale and Beckham will make close to league minimum. Not much money there. probably around 1.5M.

That gives you a payroll of 117M+ without spending anything on the bullpen! Feel free to correct my estimates. I have only basic knowledge on how this works.

I dont think you are that far off. Danks probably gets something like 5.5M, Pena 2.2M, Quentin 4.5M. Thats about $12.2M, add another $1.3M for out league min candidates. That puts us at 118.05M. If JR said team payroll for 2011 is going to be $120M than we dont have much to spend to solidify 3 bullpen spots. There is no way we can have a good bullpen with just 2M to spend there so either KW is going to have dump salary somewhere or JR will have to stretch payroll a bit.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
I dont think you are that far off. Danks probably gets something like 5.5M, Pena 2.2M, Quentin 4.5M. Thats about $12.2M, add another $1.3M for out league min candidates. That puts us at 118.05M. If JR said team payroll for 2011 is going to be $120M than we dont have much to spend to solidify 3 bullpen spots. There is no way we can have a good bullpen with just 2M to spend there so either KW is going to have dump salary somewhere or JR will have to stretch payroll a bit.

I reserve at least one bullpen spot for a guy out of the minors, heck, even if it's mop up duty, someones gotta do it. Infante would be my choice. That leaves you with 2 relievers to be acquired.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
I reserve at least one bullpen spot for a guy out of the minors, heck, even if it's mop up duty, someones gotta do it. Infante would be my choice. That leaves you with 2 relievers to be acquired.

Still gonna need more than 2M to get 2 solid relievers.

So to the bullpen experts: how much additional money do we need to spend in order to solidify the bullpen? Lot of variables so please be opinionated.

I just can't grasp how much salary we really need to shed via trade to accommodate these extra arms. If the payroll is at 118M right now and we need to be at 110M, do we need to shed roughly 13M? 16M? I have no clue.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
So to the bullpen experts: how much additional money do we need to spend in order to solidify the bullpen? Lot of variables so please be opinionated.

I just can't grasp how much salary we really need to shed via trade to accommodate these extra arms. If the payroll is at 118M right now and we need to be at 110M, do we need to shed roughly 13M? 16M? I have no clue.

Listening to KW's press conference today, I'd say little to nothing. They're going to have to make a trade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
Listening to KW's press conference today, I'd say little to nothing. They're going to have to make a trade.

Totally. My question is this though: If we have to come in at 110M and we are currently at 118M if we bring everyone back, then do we have to trade away 13M worth of salary in order to spend roughly 5M on proven bullpen arms? 13M sounds like a lot of human capital to me, what am I missing?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Totally. My question is this though: If we have to come in at 110M and we are currently at 118M if we bring everyone back, then do we have to trade away 13M worth of salary in order to spend roughly 5M on proven bullpen arms? 13M sounds like a lot of human capital to me, what am I missing?

You're not missing anything. If we've reached our spending limit, which KW clearly indicated, then we're going to have to get pretty damn creative. I have no idea how much money we would have to shed. But we'd have to shed some, obviously. That Teahen extension looks more despicable by the day.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
After all the arbitration stuff is done, baseball-reference is estimating a $120.3 million payroll:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CH...10-roster.shtml

I don't know if they're counting Jenks there, they still have him listed at arb-3.

Also no word about Linebrink and the 3.5 we're giving away.

My interpretation is that we are a $120M payroll team this year, not $110. If we are sitting at about $118 including our estimates for Arb players and league min players than we have to clear something like another $5-6M if we want a couple of good relievers. Not $10-12M. Im still curious where the savings are going to come from, Quentin isnt being traded to save 4M. Teahen is the odd man out but who is going to want him for $4.5M. The other point is if you spend $120M and have a great team thats missing a bullpen guy or two, why wouldnt u just spend an extra $5-6M to round out the team (pen). Makes little sense to go through the trouble of building this team then stopping short at the bullpen over a feabile amount of money like 5M or so.