New Car versus Used Car

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
FX50 test drive today. Its basically a g37 with a ballooned out trunk. The V8 felt exactly like my v6 in my little G, and you are a touch higher up. I dont know if I like the looks at all though, it really looks to me like a station wagon with a serious engine in it. I just cannot get over buying an SUV that cannot do any work offroad whatsoever. And it didnt even have any real towing package.

I'm going back to take a 2nd look at the JGC overland today to see if I can get them to lower their price.

What do you think of the M? Looks like a decent car on the website, although I haven't seen it in person yet...

I researched that Boxster Spyder all night and I think I must have it. Going to keep my eye on the private party used market to see if I can avoid paying sales tax. Checked the insurance and while it isn't cheap, it's not a huge increase either. I watched videos of the car on youtube all night :o)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
What do you think of the M? Looks like a decent car on the website, although I haven't seen it in person yet...

I researched that Boxster Spyder all night and I think I must have it. Going to keep my eye on the private party used market to see if I can avoid paying sales tax. Checked the insurance and while it isn't cheap, it's not a huge increase either. I watched videos of the car on youtube all night :o)

Check out www.rennlist.com, the largest online Porsche community.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
David Beckham's porsche is currently up on ebay.

Ugly.

Jerry Seinfeld's a big Porsche nut and randomly turns up at events. CJ Wilson, starting pitcher for the Rangers, also posts regularly at Rennlist and has one of these:

silver-porsche-carrera-gt.jpg

Sorry for cluttering up the thread, from everything I've heard the Spyder is a nice car.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
FX50 test drive today. Its basically a g37 with a ballooned out trunk. The V8 felt exactly like my v6 in my little G, and you are a touch higher up. I dont know if I like the looks at all though, it really looks to me like a station wagon with a serious engine in it. I just cannot get over buying an SUV that cannot do any work offroad whatsoever. And it didnt even have any real towing package.

I'm going back to take a 2nd look at the JGC overland today to see if I can get them to lower their price.

Just checked the Overland...wow, I really like that, Rock. Nice looking SUV, not mammoth, but not one of these crossovers, very nice interior, lots of features. How does the build quality feel?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
Just checked the Overland...wow, I really like that, Rock. Nice looking SUV, not mammoth, but not one of these crossovers, very nice interior, lots of features. How does the build quality feel?

Felt very un-jeep. The ride was so incredibly quiet, almost lexus-like, until you really stomped on the Hemi. I am seriously considering this car.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
Felt very un-jeep. The ride was so incredibly quiet, almost lexus-like, until you really stomped on the Hemi. I am seriously considering this car.

What kind of deal you think you can swing? I am seeing MSRP's out here in the $42k range....so something around $40k?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
That seems like a pretty good dealer. You going with the V6 or V8 version? Quad cab or regular?

I need the V8 and want the quad cab. We have my girlfriends CRV for 5 passengers if we need it, but I do not want to be limited without a decent backseat. I was considering buying something to commute with, since I drive 40 miles a day commuting to work. That may be a motorcycle. The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 turned my head a bit.

btw and fwiw, many years ago I thought of something. I was buying new cars every three years and enjoying some nice rides. I got to thinking if I buy 16 new cars in my lifetime that was going to be a fair amount of money. Not even going higher end, just saying an average of $25k I would be looking at $400,000 in my lifetime.

Then I looked at my retirement planning and punched in some numbers.

Ask yourself, is driving a less expensive car and keeping it longer, worth retiring four or five years sooner? Maybe at 60 instead of 65?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
btw and fwiw, many years ago I thought of something. I was buying new cars every three years and enjoying some nice rides. I got to thinking if I buy 16 new cars in my lifetime that was going to be a fair amount of money. Not even going higher end, just saying an average of $25k I would be looking at $400,000 in my lifetime.

Ask yourself, is driving a less expensive car and keeping it longer, worth retiring four or five years sooner? Maybe at 60 instead of 65?

My car turns 5 this year.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)

Edmunds has a few really solid tools available to the consumer, one being their "true cost of ownership" tool. It will give you the cost of owning a new car versus a used car, model by model, including factors like financing new versus used, depreciation, and maintenance. Some newer cars can be cheaper to own than different cars a few years old. You just really have to do the research.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
What kind of deal you think you can swing? I am seeing MSRP's out here in the $42k range....so something around $40k?

MSRP's for what I have been looking at are about 45k. I am trying to see what possible deals they have so I believe I will get them down closer to 41ish.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
MSRP's for what I have been looking at are about 45k. I am trying to see what possible deals they have so I believe I will get them down closer to 41ish.

I might have to drive it. I drove past a dealership last night and glanced at a few and they are really sharp looking SUVs. I really like the interior styling as well, which doesn't happen all that much.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
I might have to drive it. I drove past a dealership last night and glanced at a few and they are really sharp looking SUVs. I really like the interior styling as well, which doesn't happen all that much.

Well I bought it. Went against my rule and bought a brand new car. Got it just a touch above invoice, black/black fully loaded with a hemi. Honestly, its pretty awesome.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
Well I bought it. Went against my rule and bought a brand new car. Got it just a touch above invoice, black/black fully loaded with a hemi. Honestly, its pretty awesome.

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, Rock, what was invoice? $42k or so? You'll have to tell me how it rides...I might be copying off you if I don't go crazy and get the Spyder or get the A5/S5...

Sweet ride man...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Edmunds has a few really solid tools available to the consumer, one being their "true cost of ownership" tool. It will give you the cost of owning a new car versus a used car, model by model, including factors like financing new versus used, depreciation, and maintenance. Some newer cars can be cheaper to own than different cars a few years old. You just really have to do the research.

My comment was a little off that tangent. Not discussing the relative value between two vehicles, but the value of keeping a car for a couple extra years and putting that money in retirement savings, or instead of spending $35k, spending $20k and putting that money into retirement.

Some people would rather drive the nicer, newer vehicle. Others would rather be retired earlier.

$15k in the bank when you are 30 adds a nice chunk of cash to your retirement. Probably enough to retire a couple years sooner.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
My comment was a little off that tangent. Not discussing the relative value between two vehicles, but the value of keeping a car for a couple extra years and putting that money in retirement savings, or instead of spending $35k, spending $20k and putting that money into retirement.

Some people would rather drive the nicer, newer vehicle. Others would rather be retired earlier.

$15k in the bank when you are 30 adds a nice chunk of cash to your retirement. Probably enough to retire a couple years sooner.

No, I understood what you were saying. But if you're keep the used car a few extra years, you might end up spending $2k more each year maintaining that vehicle because of its age than if you had purchased a new vehicle. That's where the true cost of ownership comes in. Yeah, keeping your car for 6 years may allow you to save a good chunk of money, but you may spend $43k over the life of the ownership of that vehicle, whereas if you traded it in after 3 years and purchased a new vehicle, you might be spending $47k over the life of two vehicles during the same 6 year period.

There will probably be savings, but perhaps not as large as you would think.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
No, I understood what you were saying. But if you're keep the used car a few extra years, you might end up spending $2k more each year maintaining that vehicle because of its age than if you had purchased a new vehicle. That's where the true cost of ownership comes in. Yeah, keeping your car for 6 years may allow you to save a good chunk of money, but you may spend $43k over the life of the ownership of that vehicle, whereas if you traded it in after 3 years and purchased a new vehicle, you might be spending $47k over the life of two vehicles during the same 6 year period.

There will probably be savings, but perhaps not as large as you would think.

Gotcha, and good points.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 04:42 AM)

The car replaced was 10 and the car we still own (other than our new one) is 6. Definitely like the idea of owning cars for an extended period of time for the long-term financial perspective.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)

I've always bought used and from private owners if possible. I've never spent more than $8K on a car. :ph34r:

So I guess put me into the "drive an older car for longer and retire sooner" category.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
I've always bought used and from private owners if possible. I've never spent more than $8K on a car. :ph34r:

So I guess put me into the "drive an older car for longer and retire sooner" category.

My wife and I have never traded in a car. They have all either fallen apart, or been totaled in accidents.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
My wife and I have never traded in a car. They have all either fallen apart, or been totaled in accidents.

Same here. The second time I hit a deer but the car was already paid off. The insurance company actually gave me more for it than I expected.

Since this is the only going car related thread today does anyone look at any stats related to crime in choosing a car? A coworker had the rims stolen from his Texas Edition F250. I was not aware but they are

• $4,400 to replace new
  • Highly sought after
  • High rate of theft
I just crossed off Texas Edition from my list. Tuesday he came out of his house to find his truck up on cinder blocks and the rims and tires gone. His house is 300 feet from the road and he was sleeping thirty feet from his truck when it happened. A couple months ago he found cinder blocks in the ditch outside his home, so he guessed someone was targeting him. He bought the wheel locks, but it turns out that you can buy kits to remove the locks at Sears or wherever auto parts are sold. LOL nice system. I wonder if they put those kits next to the locks.