Garza to the Cubs.

Steve9347

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Can't deny this is a good move for the Cubs, too. But they're still a distant 4th behind the Reds, Brewers and Cardinals.

A lot of the Cubs fans I know who aren't baseball stupid hate it. Perhaps they're overrating their own prospects, but I think they know this team isn't good enough right now to go and try to compete this year. Hendry's probably gonna sign Garza to an extension, which would be stupid considering Garza isn't the type of pitcher you should build around.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Yeah I can see how they can compete, I just don't feel this move jumps them up significantly. There's just a ton of question marks in there, including health. Sure devil's advocate can be played for any team, but since we're discussing the Cubs, Zambrano is a complete question mark even with his last starts of the year in 2010, Silva is far from a guarantee, as is Wells, Dempster is good but again, 08 for him was probably more of an anomaly than an accurate reflection of what he really is. That line-up is just so full of ifs and maybes. Easily the best thing they have IMO is Marshall/Woods/Marmol for 7/8/9. Again, sure they can compete, but the NL Central is a tough division and I just don't think Garza makes them significantly better.

I really think many people in the media, well let's face it Chicago is a bigger market than Milwaukee, are underplaying what the Brewers did... I mean, Markum and Greinke added, with Galardo (sp?) at 3 and Wolf at 4 is extremely good, and their line-up with Fielder, Braun, Weeks, Hart, etc. on paper is extremely solid. Also, they really got burned by Hoffman at the beginning of the season last year, he completely imploded and threw a bunch of stuff off.

NL Central should be interesting this year.

I don't know where they found John Axford last year. That dude's got some sick stuff.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
under arbitration control for 3 more seasons including 2011, which makes it a better deal for the Cubs.

Again, mixed on this from the Cubs... they get a good young pitcher who they control money wise for 3 years and could always buy a year or two of that for an extra year or so. However, on paper I just don't see how it helps them compete in a more significant way this year. I like it far more as a 2012-13 move than 2011, but then they're going to have to replace guys coming off the books, grant it many of them are old and not fantastic, but unless something drastic happens the Ricketts won't have mega money to spend and even if you do, as the NYY proved this year, money doesn't always win out.

I thought Garza already has one year of arb-eligible season under his belt.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
A lot of the Cubs fans I know who aren't baseball stupid hate it. Perhaps they're overrating their own prospects, but I think they know this team isn't good enough right now to go and try to compete this year. Hendry's probably gonna sign Garza to an extension, which would be stupid considering Garza isn't the type of pitcher you should build around.

You actually know Cubs fans that aren't baseball stupid?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
So wouldn't he only be arb-eligible for two more years? Or is his service time not over 5 after the next two years?

I'm looking at Cots. It says he has 3 arb years remaining. His service time is only at 2.149. I thought he had been around longer than that for some reason.

Since the Cubs now have an abundance of starters, anyone think Kenny can call Hendry up and ask him for Gorzelanny? He's going to be relatively cheap for the next two seasons, can start, can be a long reliever, also grew up as a Sox fan.

Not to mention he put up nice numbers last year in the very role we need somebody in right now (somebody to start until Peavy comes back).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
You actually know Cubs fans that aren't baseball stupid?

I'm looking at Cots. It says he has 3 arb years remaining. His service time is only at 2.149. I thought he had been around longer than that for some reason.

Yes, surprisingly.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
cubs got a younger version of Javier Vazquez.

He's like the opposite of Javy. Javy was great peripherals, mediocre ERA. Garza is decent ERA, mediocre peripherals.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Can't deny this is a good move for the Cubs, too. But they're still a distant 4th behind the Reds, Brewers and Cardinals.

I don't know about the Cardinals, their offense should be better, but man that OF defense is going to be bad with Berkman & Holliday. Colby is gonna be busy.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I don't know about the Cardinals, their offense should be better, but man that OF defense is going to be bad with Berkman & Holliday. Colby is gonna be busy.

Holliday's not a bad fielder. I hate how that one ball he took off the crotch in the NLDS gives people the impression he's bad at fielding.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)

This is true. But they've still got like 4 of the top 10 players in the division on the same team. They're better than the Cubs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
Holliday's not a bad fielder. I hate how that one ball he took off the crotch in the NLDS gives people the impression he's bad at fielding.

I've seen him play more than that game. I don't know his UZR or Range Factor, but I know if he was on the Sox this board would hate his defense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)

With the s*** you and 3E8 are constantly throwing out, I figure that there has to be a defensive metric that compensates for an outfielder taking a liner off the dick. Find that metric and find peace, my friend.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
With the s*** you and 3E8 are constantly throwing out, I figure that there has to be a defensive metric that compensates for an outfielder taking a liner off the dick. Find that metric and find peace, my friend.

Adrian Beltre just got $96 million.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
I've seen him play more than that game. I don't know his UZR or Range Factor, but I know if he was on the Sox this board would hate his defense.

I've seen him play against the Sox and I've never seen anything to make me think the advanced metrics are wrong. He's a very athletic player. I even remember him robbing someone of a home run at the Cell back in 09.

It's a pretty good move for the Cubs, but their problem is they said they are rebuilding, but are making moves that suggest otherwise. The reason that's a problem is they aren't going to be competitive in that division, and seem stuck in between right now. The Reds aren't going to get any worse, neither are the Cardinals, and the Brewers have had a better offseason. The Garza move isn't going to do much for them in 2011, but could be helpful in the long run if the Cubs can keep him around because he is a good pitcher. He's a bit of a head case though and isn't the best clubhouse guy, and I'm surprised the Cubs would trade for a starter like that when Zambrano is still around.

Edited by whitesoxfan101