Garza to the Cubs.

Steve9347

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand what the Cubs are trying to do as a franchise right now, however, I will say that I think the whole peripheral thing with Garza is quite overrated for the fact that he's still been able to put up a consistently good era the last 4 seasons.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
I find it funny that the Juan Pierre trade is not brought as the cubs got throughly hosed in that deal.

Phil Rogers mentioned that in his front page column today, but yeah, they gave up Ricky Nolasco to have Juan Pierre for one year during which they went 66-96 and finished behind the Pirates.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Good trade for the Cubs. Garza still has 3 years left on his deal before he's a FA, and is only 27. Cub fans tend to forget their prospects are what they are... prospects. Lee is probably one of (also Vitters) the only guys worth while in their system.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
Good trade for the Cubs. Garza still has 3 years left on his deal before he's a FA, and is only 27. Cub fans tend to forget their prospects are what they are... prospects. Lee is probably one of (also Vitters) the only guys worth while in their system.

Lee is one of the guys they traded. Archer is viewed highly by all the minor league-centric sites. Vitters stock has fallen considerably ala Tyler Flowers.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 02:40 AM)
Lee is one of the guys they traded. Archer is viewed highly by all the minor league-centric sites. Vitters stock has fallen considerably ala Tyler Flowers.

Ya I just saw Lee was in the deal, though Castro has that SS spot locked up for the future, so the Cubs can part with him. Archer kind of came out of nowhere last season for them, so he was a classic sell high. (I didn't even follow him in their system which I sometimes do with other teams prospects from, whom I read about from high school or drafted or personally seen in college) I see him more as a reliever down the road anyways with the good offspeed pitches. It was a very good trade for Hendry and I do not say that often with him. Now with that said, I have no idea what his plan is. He's trying to compete again this year, but if he thinks his team can knock off the Cards or even the Brewers, well.. good luck. But it is baseball, so anything can happen. (injuries, poor performances, etc.. from any team)